Net-Model.com
Asking for references
Topic Start Date: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 @ 7:26 AM (+-5 GMT)
Forum: Net-Model Forum
I've just asked a new photographer with one photo on his profile who joined the site yesterday and sent me a message today if he can provide references as he wishes to shoot from his home. He said he would provide references once we have booked the shoot.
I always ask for references BEFORE we book the shoot why would I book a shoot with a photographer who I haven't got references for? If I did get bad references I wouldn't want to cancel an arranged shoot.
Is this usual? For photographers to provide references only AFTER a shoot is booked?

Posted By: PippaLily 08-08-2017 07:26am
There's absolutely no reason for anyone legitimate to play games like that.

Posted By: Andy_B 08-08-2017 07:28am
I did think it was strange and he hasn't replied since so I guess I caught him out on that one!

Posted By: PippaLily 08-08-2017 07:39am
I always think if you get off to a bad start, it's probably best just to move on..

as for references... other than no-shows are they really useful? Most sites have a: no negative comments policy.... so are they a true reflection of a shoot...

Having his (address) & presumably name is a fair bonus... I remember my first ever model shoot was at my place & I had zero references - image on my profile -

http://www.net-model.com/UserImages/82017/84201752313-192216b.JPG

For me it's more about how the messages between you pan out... is their a specific idea they want to shoot? do you think they have the skill level to shoot it ( any other images to backup their request )

You could ask to bring along a chaperone... as they have zero refs & complete newbie.. in my early days I had BF's, mothers, friends all sat waiting while the model did her thing.... (though not in the image above) if the photographer runs a mile, you have your answer...

best of luck..

P

Posted By: pep 08-08-2017 07:39am
pep he hasn't replied to my request for references. He did say he had some models he could use so no idea why he couldn't supply them before the shoot?

Posted By: PippaLily 08-08-2017 07:51am
Calm down everyone, I'm not a full time photographer, therefore cannot always reply immediately. There are no games here, I merely want to check with the models before handing out their contact details to a complete stranger, once confirmed I will be providing those details immediately. Trust is both ways :)

Model safety is paramount, and at no time do i ever want a model to feel unsure or unsafe.

Posted By: TridentUK 08-08-2017 08:18am
ahh.. ok I get it now..

I'd not pass on anyone's email addy or name.. however I'd point them to other sites where I've loads more refs & they can contact people I've worked with ( if still active ) that way...

as for this specific one.. a business website URL? - best sorted between yourselves directly...

Posted By: pep 08-08-2017 08:24am
References are normally feed back left on your profile. There is no way to cross check somebody when you are just given a persons name and number to call.

Posted By: Diceman199 08-09-2017 10:35am
Quoting Diceman199:

References are normally feed back left on your profile. There is no way to cross check somebody when you are just given a persons name and number to call.

Valid point.

Being new with no references and not being able to get shoots without references seems to be a Catch 22 situation.

But it isn't.

The solution is to do group shoots and shoot at studios where there are 3rd parties around and network so that you become more of a known quantity.

This does not mean that the photographer would be 100% reliable in a private 1 to 1, nothing does but it does give an idea and is better than a reference from a supplied email address which could actually be the photographer themselves for all we know.

Pippa Lily is a much respected model with a lot of experience who can probably spot a wrong 'un a mile off and for all I know the photographer is genuine...so my comments are more directed at the less experienced who may be reading this.

The essential thing is for models to do what the need to stay safe.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Posted By: Ace 08-09-2017 03:28pm
If he has references, he gains nothing by holding back on them (other than increasing your suspicion of him of course).

With new photographers, I see no reason why they can't book their first few shoots to gain both references and experience in bona fide studios which are both neutral ground so to speak and there's a third party nearby, just so there's a greatly reduced chance of trouble. Anybody with any sense of reason will not oppose this school of thought and fully understand the reason for it.

Another thing.... if it were a nude or adult shoot, maybe it's just me, but I find diving in straight at the deep end and going straight into those higher levels somewhat odd. Many photographers who do this seem to set alarm bells ringing when I see them (again, maybe it's just me).

Posted By: RedChecker 08-10-2017 02:29pm
References before the shoot.
Feedback after the shoot.
IMHO?

Posted By: fredericks 08-11-2017 04:28pm
references are very useful to show you who he/she has worked with before. You shouldn't take what is written at face value though. I always suggest that models that haven't worked with me before should use my references just as a starting point and to make direct, private contact with whoever they like on the list to have an unbiased, off the record, chat

Posted By: more_m 08-16-2017 10:02am
My first ever shoot was at a studio the model knew. So while I had no references the model was on safe ground and happy to shoot.

Posted By: Diceman199 08-17-2017 11:57am
Quoting Diceman199:

My first ever shoot was at a studio the model knew. So while I had no references the model was on safe ground and happy to shoot.

As for myself also.

Posted By: fredericks 08-17-2017 05:31pm
Page 1 of 1 All times are EST (-5 GMT)
This post comes from Net-Model.com
http://www.net-model.com

The URL for this post is:
http://forums.net-model.com?tid=1945735&fid=1