alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
2 members online. 
2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Ten years??!! I could have got less for murder. 
 MichaelSmith

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Adelaide
Views : 4076  Oct 31, 2014 10:44am

I have now been on Net Model for 10 years. Okay I haven't been around here much over the past few years, but I do still pop in from time to time.

To mark this somewhat dubious milestone, I've managed to squeeze 10 photos into my freebie portfolio that span across the 10 years I've been on here.

This was not the first internet modelling site I joined, that honour goes to OMP. But in late 2004, having tried OMP for a couple of months without any success, and being annoyed by it's lack of basic features like being able to narrow a search for models down to one Australian state, I started looking elsewhere. I stumbled across NM, in a round about way as I recall. There was a fetish box models could tick, and it was possible to narrow a search for Aussie models down to one state. That ticked the boxes for me and I signed up.

I was doing bondage shoots. And at the time, that's all I was interested in doing. No-one was judging me for it because what I was doing was only known within the bondage/fetish world. What I didn't realise was, as soon as I hit that "join" button on here that was going to change, that I'd be taking my first steps into the glare of wider scrutiny. And often it wasn't going to be pleasant.

I kept my head down though for the first couple of years, not really taking part in forum discussions. The first model I contacted on here (just a few days after I first signed up) said yes to doing a bondage shoot, and to this day she is still shooting with me. But after that promising beginning things didn't work out so well after that. I worked with another model the following February in 2005, and it would be July 2006 before I'd successfully shoot with a model from NM again. By then I was starting to stick my head above the parapet, and was constantly getting it shot off. The combination of subject matter that was confronting to many on here, along with (at the time) my neglecting to observe the technical niceties of photography were always going to be like throwing petrol on a fire.

I start to get bolder and think outside the box. I got involved in a local group shoot and had a go at shooting something more "normal". Still struggling to get models locally, I packed up the camera, ropes and duct tape and flew to Melbourne, and in space of one weekend doubled the number of models I'd shot bondage with on NM. I booked a non-bondage shoot with the infamous Lincoln.

So it continued, with me doing more bondage shoots, posting some of the photos on here and getting abuse hurled at me. I found myself riding a constant wave of notoriety. Then I did something no-one would expect, I started shooting art nudes alongside the bondage stuff.

Then Net-Model faded away as the centre of the Aussie photography and modelling universe, other on-line places took over - Model Mayhem, Time For Print, DeviantArt, Facebook. New forums, old hostilities from new foes. The battle I'd fought on here was fought again. And again. And again. And all along it was shaping me as a photographer.

But this is where it all began. Which is why I'm typing this even though it feels like I'm speaking to a big deserted, empty room, because that's what I'm doing. As faded and neglected as NM is now, it still holds a special place for me.

It's like the abandoned houses I've shot in on occasions. The door is half kicked in, the windows are broken. The crumbling walls are covered in graffiti. rubbish litters the floors which are covered with a sprinkling of dust. An upturned, bedraggled carpet is pulled up and piled up in the corner. But once those houses were someone's home, lived in and cherished. The walls and windows were once intact, and silent witness to the occupants' joys and sadness, challenges and triumphs. Sometimes I have shot in those old run down houses and wondered what stories those walls could tell. And here also, the stories are still there locked away in old forum threads, many of the participant's postings remaining even though the posters are long gone, just leaving behind digital ghosts. This site may be like one of those old houses now, but I can remember when it was a vibrant and lively place to be.

What happened within those virtual walls has influenced and shaped me and my photography into what it is today, and will continue to do so. But there was no victory for the critics. What happened here (and subsequently elsewhere) does change and influence me in what I do, it has transformed me but it did not turn me into what some wanted me to become.

Send Nm Mail to MichaelSmith Add MichaelSmith to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by MichaelSmith at 10-31-2014 10:52 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
plusphotoau

Photographer

It's a funny ol' world, Agent Smith.

david

Send Nm Mail to plusphotoau Add plusphotoau to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 MichaelSmith

quoting post from plusphotoau:

It's a funny ol' world, Agent Smith.

david

Indeed it is

MichaelSmith

The obligatory stats post:

Views 36,221
Date Added 10-31-2004
Last Updated 10-30-2014
Messages In 614
Messages Out 644
Forum Posts 6,111
Logins 1,859

Around 14 models booked through this site for bondage shoots, another two for bondage shoots but for bad guy/dominant roles only and about five for art nude/lingerie shoots.

Porthos

Photographer
City: Kings Lynn

Ten years this year for me as well
When I used to shoot with models like Rhowena and Rudy etc

Send Nm Mail to Porthos Add Porthos to your favorites list
HelenDiaz

Model
City: Chippenham

I still love Net Model and have a loyalty for it as its where I first started modelling as a teenager

http://www.starnow.co.uk/helendiaz

Send Nm Mail to HelenDiaz Add HelenDiaz to your favorites list
SimonL

Photographer
City: Dubai

I've got six months before I reach the 10 year mark here..

Send Nm Mail to SimonL Add SimonL to your favorites list
MrsC

Model
City: Mars

Congratulations Michael

There is something about this site that keeps many of us still here...

Here's to the next ten years of doing what you do best x

xxx

" away with the fairies"

Send Nm Mail to MrsC Add MrsC to your favorites list
 doctorontop
[ Moderator ]

Photographer
City: La Condamine

Well congrats for passing the Ten year milestone. Over the years many shooters and friends on the fet scene have used NM to recruit models for fetish shoots. My interests lay elsewhere, but I would never judge anyone who shoots as you do.

The photographers who shoot the subject areas they're are really interested in tend to have the most individual shooting styles, which in turn drives others to view those portfolios. After all, isn't photography a valid way to express one's self.

I hope you continue signing into NM.

Send Nm Mail to doctorontop Add doctorontop to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by doctorontop at 11-02-2014 5:26 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 MichaelSmith

Thank you MrsC and doctorontop

Let's hope the rumours of Netmodel 2.0 prove to be correct and this site has a revival.

Bob_d

Photographer
City: Chippenham

Can't match the ten.......but I hope every day that this old site (where I started only a few (8) years ago)......can rise, phoenix-like from the ashes.

Views 25,336
Date Added 03-13-2006
Last Updated 03-12-2014
Messages In 4,082
Messages Out 5,150
Forum Posts 8,889
Logins 7,947

Send Nm Mail to Bob_d Add Bob_d to your favorites list
 Solveman

Photographer
City: Basildon

NetModels was the first place I joined also. Although it has gone even further downhill since I started in January 2012, I too feel a kind of loyalty. I joined others too: MM, TFPModels and PP. Purestorm wouldn't have me... sod 'em. I tend to be on PP more now. NM would be better if the owner took a little more interest. It needs updating. It's old and tired and needs a little TLC. Your analogy re the deserted house really is spot on.

As for the other sites, well, I go on MM hardly ever and TFP Models is a farce as the models on there only seem to want paying... so why the Hell put a profile on a TFP website?

The other thing that gets my goat, and this is a little off topic, is the models on PP that put out a casting call for a photographer so that they can update their portfolios or websits etc but want the photographer to pay for the privilege. Am I missing something here? Is this the way it's supposed to work? I tak the photos for nothing and they use them for their portfolios or commercially on their websites? I think not!

As for keeping one's head below the parapit, I agree. Too many people with an opinion. If it's polite and constructive then fine, otherwise... belt up! Your expression of art is your choice. I had a guy a little while ago, a student, that proceeded to tell me that a pic of a model just walking down the road was a no no, just not done and that, basically, my photo was crap! He has been a tog for 5 minutes! Also, tell that to all the successful editorial photographers that have taken such a shot.. ok, maybe better than me but, nevertheless, the same concept. or tell that to David Bailey, who took shots of of people walking down the street!

Anyway, congratulations on reaching 10 years. Here's to the next 10, if NM lasts that long. Oh, by the way, here is the pic in question. What do you think? Not my best but not my worst:

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
 Solveman

Photographer

In addition, I think I might revisit this pic in Photoshop. Also, having looked at your portfolio, I see nothing amiss with it. Keep doing what you enjoy. Be your own critic and change what you don't like. Photography is an art and art is subjective. What one don't like another will and visa versa. I see a lot of stuff that people go mad over but I just don't get and pics that I like others don't seem to. Go figure.

Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge

It was my first site as well and I've found that, though quieter, it's got more friendly as people have left.

Discussions and critiques seem to be more constructive rather than destructive ego wars....which is nice :-)

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon

quoting post from  Diceman199:

It was my first site as well and I've found that, though quieter, it's got more friendly as people have left.

Discussions and critiques seem to be more constructive rather than destructive ego wars....which is nice :-)

I Agree

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
 Solveman

Photographer

Absolutely. Even in the short time I have been on here I have found that it has become more friendly.

Jack_Ryan

Photographer
City: Wicklow

I passed the 10 years earlier this year without noticing it, then again this site has become the Marie Celeste in relation to the Irish scene, I don't think my last 3 or 4 castings here even got a reply.

My stats to show how poorly I'm performing

Views 6,516
Date Added 05-18-2004
Last Updated 09-11-2012
Messages In 289
Messages Out 380
Forum Posts 329
Logins 2,855

Send Nm Mail to Jack_Ryan Add Jack_Ryan to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge

You're like me....don't update portfolio often enough to pick up the views :-)

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
Damien

Photographer
City: Bristol

I've exceeded my 10 years so Im taking time off for bad behaviour. I still pop back from time to time. Its mid afternoon and this will be the first comment posted on here by anyone today. I'd like to believe in the phoenix but I'm not convinced. Always a good place to find a few old friends though.

Send Nm Mail to Damien Add Damien to your favorites list
 doctorontop
[ Moderator ]

Photographer
City: La Condamine

quoting post from  MichaelSmith:

Thank you MrsC and doctorontop

Let's hope the rumours of Netmodel 2.0 prove to be correct and this site has a revival.

I have been in touch with James. And I have some good news, despite having to rebuild his home after twister destroyed it. He has been working away at coding Net Model 2.0. The new site should be ready to go into beta testing early in the New Year and then hopefully going live shortly afterwards.

The new site has been designed and rewritten from scratch in a modular format. This allows for any changes and/or new functionality to be added in a much, much faster and more efficient way. The current site that we are using today was built up over the years in a haphazard fashion and stitched up using different coding languages and then further patched together like spaghetti junction, making it a nightmare to code even the simplest of changes and/or modifications.

James does not want to launch the new site full of bugs, that from the very start would need sorting out on the hoof. He will be posting details as to when the new site will go live. So as to not disappoint, a predicted release date will not be forthcoming at the moment. He wants to get a better idea as to any possible number of bugs that may need fixing, their possible level of complexity and a realistic and achievable timeframe, to patch up anything that the beta testing round may throw up.

I hope this news will boost the morale of those members, who like me are firmly attached to NM and really want to see the site come alive again.

Send Nm Mail to doctorontop Add doctorontop to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by doctorontop at 11-25-2014 3:07 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 MichaelSmith

quoting post from  doctorontop:

I have been in touch with James. And I have some good news, despite having to rebuild his home after twister destroyed it. He has been working away at coding Net Model 2.0. The new site should be ready to go into beta testing early in the New Year and then hopefully going live shortly afterwards.

The new site has been designed and rewritten from scratch in a modular format. This allows for any changes and/or new functionality to be added in a much, much faster and more efficient way. The current site that we are using today was built up over the years in a haphazard fashion and stitched up using different coding languages and then further patched together like spaghetti junction, making it a nightmare to code even the simplest of changes and/or modifications.

James does not want to launch the new site full of bugs, that from the very start would need sorting out on the hoof. He will be posting details as to when the new site will go live. So as to not disappoint, a predicted release date will not be forthcoming at the moment. He wants to get a better idea as to any possible number of bugs that may need fixing, their possible level of complexity and a realistic and achievable timeframe, to patch up anything that the beta testing round may throw up.

I hope this news will boost the morale of those members, who like me are firmly attached to NM and really want to see the site come alive again.

That's great news Doctorontop Whether Australian interest in this site can resurrected is sadly another matter, but what you're describing sounds promising.

From what I'm hearing the atmosphere over at PP has become more and more toxic, so there could be a few happy to return back here.

MichaelSmith

quoting post from  Solveman:

NetModels was the first place I joined also. Although it has gone even further downhill since I started in January 2012, I too feel a kind of loyalty. I joined others too: MM, TFPModels and PP. Purestorm wouldn't have me... sod 'em. I tend to be on PP more now. NM would be better if the owner took a little more interest. It needs updating. It's old and tired and needs a little TLC. Your analogy re the deserted house really is spot on.

As for the other sites, well, I go on MM hardly ever and TFP Models is a farce as the models on there only seem to want paying... so why the Hell put a profile on a TFP website?

The other thing that gets my goat, and this is a little off topic, is the models on PP that put out a casting call for a photographer so that they can update their portfolios or websits etc but want the photographer to pay for the privilege. Am I missing something here? Is this the way it's supposed to work? I tak the photos for nothing and they use them for their portfolios or commercially on their websites? I think not!

As for keeping one's head below the parapit, I agree. Too many people with an opinion. If it's polite and constructive then fine, otherwise... belt up! Your expression of art is your choice. I had a guy a little while ago, a student, that proceeded to tell me that a pic of a model just walking down the road was a no no, just not done and that, basically, my photo was crap! He has been a tog for 5 minutes! Also, tell that to all the successful editorial photographers that have taken such a shot.. ok, maybe better than me but, nevertheless, the same concept. or tell that to David Bailey, who took shots of of people walking down the street!

Anyway, congratulations on reaching 10 years. Here's to the next 10, if NM lasts that long. Oh, by the way, here is the pic in question. What do you think? Not my best but not my worst:

Thanks Solveman And your experience is exactly what I'm referring to. There is legitimate critique out there, but there are also a lot of self-opinionated "experts" as well. For what it is I see nothing wrong with your photo, the only quibble I'd have is perhaps I'd like to have seen her with her eyes open a bit more. But as for the image overall - composition, exposure and use of depth of field, it all works fine.

MichaelSmith

So while I was cleaning out the retrospective from my portfolio to make room for some more recent images, I did notice that the oldest (and therefore the poorest from a purely technical perspective) got the most views ....

So what was it the pitch fork wielding anti "artless" bondage brigade that used to infect this site were raving on about again, exactly?

Rimfire

Photographer
City: Gosford/ Central Coast- N.S.W.

Agent Smith.
Never worry about what other people think or say about your work. It is your work and whilst constructive criticism can help or assist- the reality is that *opinions are like arse holes …*
Most critics are usually jealous or just consumed in their own lack of integrity, talent, or self being.
You have soldiered on irrespective of the demise of this site and i commend you for your loyalty and perseverance.
I noticed the following info on my own account when I read your post, so as follows, not realising my 10 years had come up a while ago
Maybe we get a badge of Honour ..lol

Created: October 16, 2003
Views: 15890
Logins: 2,870
Mail Sent: 298
Mail Received: 194
Forum Posts: 540

Most of the shoots I arranged were some 6-8 years ago and unfortunately this site ends up having the same issues that most sites do i.e.: when they start up the keen , reliable models gravitate like they did on MM, then when it becomes popular and the word gets around- the would be/could be's start to appear and the site's get clogged up with dead wood.
Great news that the site is being refurbished, so I am hoping that it might fire up again.
I would love to see it start farm scratch again and all folios become redundant so that everyone has to start afresh that way cleaning out all the wasted space and time wasters.
Carry on Agent Smith and hopefully great things will become of this site this year .

Ross

Send Nm Mail to Rimfire Add Rimfire to your favorites list
 MichaelSmith

quoting post from Rimfire:

Agent Smith.
Never worry about what other people think or say about your work. It is your work and whilst constructive criticism can help or assist- the reality is that *opinions are like arse holes …*
Most critics are usually jealous or just consumed in their own lack of integrity, talent, or self being.
You have soldiered on irrespective of the demise of this site and i commend you for your loyalty and perseverance.
I noticed the following info on my own account when I read your post, so as follows, not realising my 10 years had come up a while ago
Maybe we get a badge of Honour ..lol

Created: October 16, 2003
Views: 15890
Logins: 2,870
Mail Sent: 298
Mail Received: 194
Forum Posts: 540

Most of the shoots I arranged were some 6-8 years ago and unfortunately this site ends up having the same issues that most sites do i.e.: when they start up the keen , reliable models gravitate like they did on MM, then when it becomes popular and the word gets around- the would be/could be's start to appear and the site's get clogged up with dead wood.
Great news that the site is being refurbished, so I am hoping that it might fire up again.
I would love to see it start farm scratch again and all folios become redundant so that everyone has to start afresh that way cleaning out all the wasted space and time wasters.
Carry on Agent Smith and hopefully great things will become of this site this year .

Ross

Thanks Ross, and yes it does appear the "armchair critics" have moved on

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Moderators :

bullet, doctorontop, Gregory_Mason, persistentvision

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images