[ Watch This Topic ]
Page 3 of 3 | < | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
 jkmtyro

Photographer
City: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 30, 2018 5:07pm

quoting post from redbaron:

All you ever get when doing that is sneers and put downs when it takes longer that planned or you need to take a break from it all. Usually from 'photographers' who assert rebuilding a site like this is just a few weeks work. In real life of course they probably work stacking shelves in Tesco.

But ... but ... but ... Wix says I can build a site in a day!

Send Nm Mail to jkmtyro Add jkmtyro to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
ThamesTog

Photographer
City: Didcot
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 30, 2018 6:13pm

Personally, as someone who never felt tempted to leave, I still find Net-Model a breath of fresh air compared to its sanctimonious and 'worthy' competitors.

All we need now is some members!

Send Nm Mail to ThamesTog Add ThamesTog to your favorites list
numbc

Photographer
City: London
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 31, 2018 2:32am

quoting post from ThamesTog:

Personally, as someone who never felt tempted to leave, I still find Net-Model a breath of fresh air compared to its sanctimonious and 'worthy' competitors.

All we need now is some members!

I'd love to see it up and running on full gas.
That would be great.

Send Nm Mail to numbc Add numbc to your favorites list
Roddie

Photographer
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 31, 2018 8:06am

I've been on NM for probably a decade now (yes, I know I could probably look it up). I've met and shot with some great models in those years and will always be happy about that.
But...
Is this a case of emperor's new clothes? NM has always had issues which allowed it to thrive only because there was no viable competition for the more amateur end of the market. The MMs and simililar sites at the time were harder to join than getting through the Krypton Factor.
For example, totally ignoring Moore's Law (look it up), there is a ridiculous restriction on the data size you can upload for free. I know sites need to make money, but at least allow people to display a handful of images at decent quality before asking for money.
Then there's the difficulty adding photos when you join, leading to loads of new accounts with no images at all. And finally casting calls. You post a cast, then several months pass and you naturally forget you did. So you post a new one and all hell breaks loose as you get a stroppy note telling you your first born will be seized for a casting violation.
As I write there are 4 members online, and I'm 1 of them! If the site owners loosen up a touch and modernise there could still be hope for this site.

Send Nm Mail to Roddie Add Roddie to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 31, 2018 9:17am

The beta currently under test is a huge improvement on the present version. The last bit of coding is underway and as soon as it is done all current members will be brought into the beta.

The new beta addresses many of your points.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Aug 31, 2018 10:06am

quoting post from Roddie:

For example, totally ignoring Moore's Law (look it up), there is a ridiculous restriction on the data size you can upload for free. I know sites need to make money, but at least allow people to display a handful of images at decent quality before asking for money.

Well it used to be true. Have you tried recently. In the past a free member could only put up around 8 images max and you had to wait 7 days between changes. I have just discovered that those restrictions have now gone!

Fair enough on the rest but I am sure James is more than aware of the issues. Unfortunately I am also aware a lot of issues could not be addressed with this incarnation of NM, which is partly why earlier efforts to upgrade ran into the sand. From memory the site is build on a very old and long obsolete forum CMS system that has not been supported for over a decade. Which means a ground up rebuild and I don't care what some idiots say that is not something you pop out in a few weeks or even months. Particularly if you need to earn an actual living during the day.

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
Roddie

Photographer
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Sep 1, 2018 8:11pm

Here's a case in point. How can this new profile be allowed to even show up?
http://www.net-model.com/Portfolios/ModelPortfolio.asp?UserID=200899&IID=&cmd=&linking=

This is clearly nothing more than a ghost profile, and it's far from being the only one.

Send Nm Mail to Roddie Add Roddie to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Net-Model...What happened?! Sep 6, 2018 2:26pm

Take a look at:

http://www.net-model.com/Forums/ReadThread.asp?ThreadID=1947292

SEE, SEE, TOLD YOU. YOU CAN START BREATHING AGAIN NOW

You all now have to believe EVERYTHING I say.

That camera is better than that camera. Brexit is a .... Film is better than digital. The list is endless and I will crow about this for AGES!!!

On a more serious note. Please spread the word among existing NM members who may not have seen this thread, The better the feedback James gets, the more he will be able to sort things. Stuff that is not reported, will risk being missed.

Also spread the news elsewhere so that people who may want to join us are able to. I think that the best approach there will be to join the OLD version.

Keep fighting, folks.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Page 3 of 3 | < | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Moderators :

Ace, bullet, doctorontop, Gregory_Mason, persistentvision

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts