2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Profile linking 
AndyM

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bristol
Views : 1564  May 20, 2010 10:37am

When mentioning a person in a forum post, or a profile, it would be handy to have an easy way of linking to their portfolio. Perhaps putting their username inside double brackets in a similar manner to how wikis do internal links. For example:

Typing [[AndyM]] would turn that into a link to my portfolio.

Send Nm Mail to AndyM Add AndyM to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Spike

Photographer
City: St Albans
RE: Profile linking May 20, 2010 10:51am

You can do it using the insert url feature eg Spike's Portfolio though it is a little long winded

There is no "Unsuck" filter in Photoshop
www.not-a-crime.com

Send Nm Mail to Spike Add Spike to your favorites list
Onion_Custard

Photographer
City: Cardiff, Hereford, Brecon
RE: Profile linking May 20, 2010 11:32am

quoting post from AndyM:

When mentioning a person in a forum post, or a profile, it would be handy to have an easy way of linking to their portfolio. Perhaps putting their username inside double brackets in a similar manner to how wikis do internal links. For example:

Typing [[AndyM]] would turn that into a link to my portfolio.

It must be possible for the software to compare all posted text with the membership list and wherever they match to be programmed to automatically create a link. It's a basic feature of knowledge bases. Whether it's deemed a useful enough addition for the time required to programme is another question. That means any reference (correctly spelled) would automatically link.

Send Nm Mail to Onion_Custard Add Onion_Custard to your favorites list
AndyM

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bristol
RE: Profile linking May 20, 2010 12:12pm

quoting post from Onion_Custard:

It must be possible for the software to compare all posted text with the membership list and wherever they match to be programmed to automatically create a link. It's a basic feature of knowledge bases. Whether it's deemed a useful enough addition for the time required to programme is another question. That means any reference (correctly spelled) would automatically link.

Doing a blanket comparison on all posted text is possible, but in this case not a good idea due to the number of members, etc. Nearly every word (you could tell it to ignore some words like "and" for example) in a post would have to be checked against the username table in the DB to see if it matches a username, before it can be made into a profile link. Even if you only do this comparison the once when posting, it could be quite a hit to performance, even (possibly) noticeably slowing down posting.

Putting the username in something like a BB tag would mean only those words are searched against the user DB. Or you could simply just build a link from the tag's content without having to query the DB.

It's not an important feature, but I think it would be "nice" to have it.

Send Nm Mail to AndyM Add AndyM to your favorites list
ajc07977

Photographer
City: Ipswich
RE: Profile linking May 20, 2010 2:07pm

Agree that this and many many other features would make NM less of the dinosaur that it is (even though I personally love NM for being understated).

I always get the feeling that if James (escape) can get away with not adding new features, then he won't.

It is just that a few new things here and there that are GENUINELY useful ... would attract new paying members (and maybe some of the many many that have left / moved on up the food chain / frequent a competitor site).

We all remember past sites that have launched that had LOADS of geeky features, some even for standard members for a while. I am sure a vote / proposal on what paying members MOST wanted would be a smart move ?

Andrew

"Bathed in natural light, let me capture you, just a fraction of a second at a time"

Send Nm Mail to ajc07977 Add ajc07977 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by ajc07977 at 05-20-2010 2:07 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Onion_Custard

Photographer
City: Cardiff, Hereford, Brecon
RE: Profile linking May 20, 2010 2:44pm

quoting post from ajc07977:

Agree that this and many many other features would make NM less of the dinosaur that it is (even though I personally love NM for being understated).

I always get the feeling that if James (escape) can get away with not adding new features, then he won't.

It is just that a few new things here and there that are GENUINELY useful ... would attract new paying members (and maybe some of the many many that have left / moved on up the food chain / frequent a competitor site).

We all remember past sites that have launched that had LOADS of geeky features, some even for standard members for a while. I am sure a vote / proposal on what paying members MOST wanted would be a smart move ?

Andrew

"Bathed in natural light, let me capture you, just a fraction of a second at a time"

Andrew, I think that's a bit unfair on James. He does do periodic changes and canvas the opinions of members and does beta testing before launching new features.

I don't think you could hold a meaningful 'vote' on the site anyway. What would represent enough of a majority to go ahead, or not?

The Suggestions thread is here to run ideas up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it, and I have seen many ideas taken up as a direct result.

Dave

Send Nm Mail to Onion_Custard Add Onion_Custard to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts