5 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Firedancing images 
 persistentvision

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Luton
Views : 3037  Jul 6, 2010 6:55am

Any hints on taking images of a fire performer?

I'm thinking it's best to be near dark or dusk to get the flames captured, and probably a tripod with slow shutter speed and a large aperture but if there's any hints from experience I'd be most grateful..

Ian

Send Nm Mail to persistentvision Add persistentvision to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Chippers

Photographer
City: Chippenham
RE: Firedancing images Jul 29, 2010 7:46pm

Ahhhh - a VERY difficult subject to get right! I have taken pics of this many times and the trick is to get shutter speed in time with the speed of the flame. The flaming 'wick' will travel at different speeds depending on what is being used (poi, staff etc) and the performer's style.

I always use tripod, set to lowest iso poss and guess starting at 0.5 secs upwards. The aim is to get the 'pattern' made by the fire as complete as possible with little overlap.

If you are taking a performance it is not easy, if a friend is spinning for you then you can get right by trial and error.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results. And yes, dusk is best if you can get a bit of light in the sky etc!!

Send Nm Mail to Chippers Add Chippers to your favorites list
mannybash

Photographer
City: London
RE: Firedancing images Jul 30, 2010 2:54am

If you wanted to do this say of a someone breathing fire or a circus performer what safety measures would you have to take?

Send Nm Mail to mannybash Add mannybash to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Firedancing images Jul 30, 2010 3:11am

Like this?

Hand held, no real need for a tripod as you want the movement, then rear curtain sync on your gun. Shutter speeds around 30 seconds.

The darker the better so you get the fire and nothing else until the flash fires, when you expose correctly.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

Percy Bysshe Shelley ~ Love's Philosophy

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Firedancing images Jul 30, 2010 3:12am

An interesting variation, which also works well wioth things like moving cars in daylight but then you MUST use a tripod.

As above but zoomed during the exposure.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

If thou kiss not me?

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
Chippers

Photographer
RE: Firedancing images Jul 30, 2010 5:39am

Yeah - rear curtain can work but not my bag. If OP is happy with this quality then thats fine. If he wants more then its harder thats all...

persistentvision

RE: Firedancing images Aug 2, 2010 12:36pm

that's something to think about for sure - haven't had a chance to arrange a shoot yet but soon I think.

Ian

Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: Firedancing images Aug 2, 2010 1:13pm

It depends on result what your after. Those poi shots show the movement of the flame and the curtain shutter allows you to also light the performer. You end up with a lot of light in the image that way.

It is a static pose grabbed at the end of a performance. Shot at ISO400, 1/60 sec, f5.0 with a 60mm focal length. Only light source was the fire staff's

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Diceman199 at 09-10-2010 5:52 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
denise813

Photographer
City, St: New York, Ny 10122, NY
RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 2:19pm

I just love pictures with fire..Especially with nice movements from the models..I've never seen a girl model doing fire model pictures..I'm really looking forward to doing that some time..

where models, photographers and the industry meets!!

Send Nm Mail to denise813 Add denise813 to your favorites list
IanS

Photographer
City: Worcester
RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 2:27pm

I know someone who has said that they would like to do a shoot with me, whilst they 'body burn' and fire breathe. However, a location is a bit more of a problem.

Any suggestions on where shoots like this can take place?

Ian

------------------------------------

Photographer, extra extraordinaire...

Ian Savage Photography

Send Nm Mail to IanS Add IanS to your favorites list
Erosanne

Model
City: Chesterfield
RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 2:43pm

Can I take a rare moment and answer this question as a photographer?
I have got very into photography (from the other side of the camera) as well as modelling, but I mostly shoot travel photography, candid street photography and (surprisingly) motorsport, so I don't often publicise the fact!

However, here's a link to one of mine of a Bornean fire-breather at Singapore Night Safari:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erosanne/4287183591/in/set-72157623241635128/

(It seems flickr no longer lets you link directly to the image).

It was taken at f4, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, 200mm lens.

This is straight out of camera, no alteration and no cropping. There's no 'movement' of the flames as in the other images listed at 1/500 sec but I think it's one of the best photos I've taken yet.

Here's another, also at ISO 400, f4 but at 1/125 sec and zoomed out to 75mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erosanne/4361584317/in/set-72157623241635128/

I prefer the sharpness at 1/500, though I think that was taken earlier in the evening when there was still more light available, so had to compromise on shutter speed later.

Back to my other life as a model, I would LOVE to do some silhouetted nude dancing/creating shapes in front of a roaring bonfire! This is one of the themes I've been wanting to shoot for ages!

I'm trying to work on arranging a location for a group shoot around a bonfire to create something like this... if that would be of interest, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange and keep you posted. (I already have a potential location for a bonfire in mind).

Send Nm Mail to Erosanne Add Erosanne to your favorites list
 persistentvision

RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 7:48pm

quoting post from IanS:

I know someone who has said that they would like to do a shoot with me, whilst they 'body burn' and fire breathe. However, a location is a bit more of a problem.

Any suggestions on where shoots like this can take place?

Ian

------------------------------------

Photographer, extra extraordinaire...

Ian Savage Photography

Location can be tricky - ideally, some where non-flammable - I'd maybe think to ask around local farmers if I could use an area with concrete hard standing away from any outbuildings (or just really piss the local council off and storm a car park without an CCTV I suppose)

Trouble is, a lot of the nicer car parks I can think of which face onto beauty spots are used for dogging (I suppose at least they'd want to stay inside the cars!)

Ian

persistentvision

RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 7:53pm

quoting post from Erosanne:

Can I take a rare moment and answer this question as a photographer?
I have got very into photography (from the other side of the camera) as well as modelling, but I mostly shoot travel photography, candid street photography and (surprisingly) motorsport, so I don't often publicise the fact!

However, here's a link to one of mine of a Bornean fire-breather at Singapore Night Safari:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erosanne/4287183591/in/set-72157623241635128/

(It seems flickr no longer lets you link directly to the image).

It was taken at f4, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, 200mm lens.

This is straight out of camera, no alteration and no cropping. There's no 'movement' of the flames as in the other images listed at 1/500 sec but I think it's one of the best photos I've taken yet.

Here's another, also at ISO 400, f4 but at 1/125 sec and zoomed out to 75mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erosanne/4361584317/in/set-72157623241635128/

I prefer the sharpness at 1/500, though I think that was taken earlier in the evening when there was still more light available, so had to compromise on shutter speed later.

Back to my other life as a model, I would LOVE to do some silhouetted nude dancing/creating shapes in front of a roaring bonfire! This is one of the themes I've been wanting to shoot for ages!

I'm trying to work on arranging a location for a group shoot around a bonfire to create something like this... if that would be of interest, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange and keep you posted. (I already have a potential location for a bonfire in mind).

That's some pretty good work right there and if I get anything like as good I'll be a cheerful chappy I can tell you. And yes, of course, keep me posted.

I've no idea when I'll be shooting this other lass - bit nervous as the last set I shot involving firedancing were rubbish Practise etc.

Ian

PHOTOJOE99

Photographer
City, St: Hemlock, MI
RE: Firedancing images Aug 20, 2010 11:49pm

Very Carefully....

Send Nm Mail to PHOTOJOE99 Add PHOTOJOE99 to your favorites list
Rob_M

Photographer
City: Piccadilly
RE: Firedancing images Aug 25, 2010 3:11pm

quoting post from PHOTOJOE99:

Very Carefully....

hahaha i was going to say with the biggest zoom you have ;-)

Send Nm Mail to Rob_M Add Rob_M to your favorites list
AndrewAppleton

Photographer
City: London And Lincoln
RE: Firedancing images Aug 26, 2010 5:55pm

Not exactly firedancing but this is the amazing Gabby who as well as modelling and stilt walking does a show with fire.

www.applefolio.com
www.applephoto.co.uk

and the blog: http://www.applephoto.co.uk/blog

Send Nm Mail to AndrewAppleton Add AndrewAppleton to your favorites list
geetee

Photographer
City: Salisbury
RE: Firedancing images Aug 26, 2010 6:44pm

I managed this 'hand held' but I'm sure it would have been easier with a tripod.

F/22
Exposure 1.3 sec
ISO1600

Graeme

S&M&M = Kinky Sex with Chocolate

Send Nm Mail to geetee Add geetee to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by geetee at 08-30-2010 7:07 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 persistentvision

RE: Firedancing images Aug 30, 2010 6:51pm

guys, if you're going to post images, give me a shutter speed/ISO and aperture breakdown if you can - it'll give me an idea what's possible.

Ian

Chippers

Photographer
RE: Firedancing images Sep 6, 2010 10:07am

Hi Folks

It is an interesting debate! I have been around Poi spinners for a few years now (and my partner used to be in a troupe!) and there are significant differences between poi spinners/dancers and breathers. Breathers do not move so are easier to capture. Spinners, well, spin their arms around and make pretty patterns!

I took this of a guy spinning ropes (more fire trails) in my back garden. You only really need an open space - any park or recreation ground will do. Dusk is best. But experimentation is the key. Spinners tend to spin at different speeds and therefore to capture the patterns they work hard to create, you need to do a bit of trial and error.

This image http://www.richellisphotography.co.uk/gallery_188637.html was captured on a tripod at 43mm 100iso f2.8 at 0.8 secs. Others i took the same day were 1.5 secs for different spinners. It is notoriously difficult to grab this gorgeous spectacle but worth trying and great fun. If you want to find a model to spin while you snap away then go onto the "Home of Poi" website or let me know. They would not be that expensive (normal model rates) and you could get different implements being used. Staffs, poi, chains, wire wool etc etc.

Anyway, happy snapping!!

Rich

persistentvision

RE: Firedancing images Sep 10, 2010 4:55am

quoting post from Chippers:

Hi Folks

It is an interesting debate! I have been around Poi spinners for a few years now (and my partner used to be in a troupe!) and there are significant differences between poi spinners/dancers and breathers. Breathers do not move so are easier to capture. Spinners, well, spin their arms around and make pretty patterns!

I took this of a guy spinning ropes (more fire trails) in my back garden. You only really need an open space - any park or recreation ground will do. Dusk is best. But experimentation is the key. Spinners tend to spin at different speeds and therefore to capture the patterns they work hard to create, you need to do a bit of trial and error.

This image http://www.richellisphotography.co.uk/gallery_188637.html was captured on a tripod at 43mm 100iso f2.8 at 0.8 secs. Others i took the same day were 1.5 secs for different spinners. It is notoriously difficult to grab this gorgeous spectacle but worth trying and great fun. If you want to find a model to spin while you snap away then go onto the "Home of Poi" website or let me know. They would not be that expensive (normal model rates) and you could get different implements being used. Staffs, poi, chains, wire wool etc etc.

Anyway, happy snapping!!

Rich

Oh, I'm not commissioning a model, it's a publicity shoot for a performer so the choice of subject is a self selector

Ian

Leona

Model
City, St: San Francisco, CA
RE: Firedancing images Nov 17, 2010 12:59pm

quoting post from  Razoir:

Like this?

Hand held, no real need for a tripod as you want the movement, then rear curtain sync on your gun. Shutter speeds around 30 seconds.

The darker the better so you get the fire and nothing else until the flash fires, when you expose correctly.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

If thou kiss not me?

This is awesome! I love it

Send Nm Mail to Leona Add Leona to your favorites list
Boins

Photographer
City: Harrogate
RE: Firedancing images Nov 22, 2010 11:38am

Hi guys,

not trying to hijack the thread here, but I'm a fire performer myself and take loads of photos of this subject, again the best method is to get teh shutter speed timed to capture the flames motions, and I usually prefer to go without flash, that way the flame is much more dominant in the image..

check out my profile on hhere for one example (of myself) with the fire,

and also anyone whos interested in taking more pictures of this kind get in touch, either on here or via Burnsclinic Fireshows (google, or facebook it )

ta

Send Nm Mail to Boins Add Boins to your favorites list
philby

Photographer
City: Stamford
RE: Firedancing images Nov 22, 2010 12:33pm

Something a little diffrent i worked on

and yes real flames realy held in her hand

Send Nm Mail to philby Add philby to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by philby at 11-22-2010 12:39 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts