8 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : NM layout update? 
rugglez

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Gloucester
Views : 766  Aug 16, 2010 10:12pm

Are there any plans to update the look of NM? Not sure if I am alone here, but isn't NM in need of a facelift?

The community and forums on here are fantastic, but the problem is that I am getting people asking to look at my portfolio and I am a bit embarrassed sending them to this site as they all comment on how dated it looks - which reflects badly on me. Not sure this is a great thing for me as I am paying to have my portfolio on here.

Anyways, just wanted to see if there are plans to get NM design brought up to date, or are things staying as they are?

Cheers, Matthew

Send Nm Mail to rugglez Add rugglez to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:28am

I'm probably in a minority but I like the way it is. It's clean, functional and I can get to what I want quickly.

For me, jazzy graphics etc just get in the way and I don't have the time to plough through all that to get at the substance.

I realise that this is probably heresy and I shall be flamed for all eternity.

That's Ace, Ace Baby!

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:32am

quoting post from  Ace:

I'm probably in a minority but I like the way it is. It's clean, functional and I can get to what I want quickly.

For me, jazzy graphics etc just get in the way and I don't have the time to plough through all that to get at the substance.

That's Ace, Ace Baby!

You and me both then Ace!!

Huge Hairy Jeremy

And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

Percy Bysshe Shelley ~ Love's Philosophy

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
Bob_d

Photographer
City: Chippenham
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:34am

Me three!

I'm comfortable as-is........maybe doing away with the gray (see, I even translate for the site admin).....in favour of some better colour schema.....but the functionality is fine.....for me.

Send Nm Mail to Bob_d Add Bob_d to your favorites list
cmcook

Photographer
City: Hereford
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:36am

quoting post from  Ace:

That's Ace, Ace Baby!

Totally agree, it does what it does, and still rather well.

Send Nm Mail to cmcook Add cmcook to your favorites list
RoninUK

Photographer
City: Ruislip
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:44am

I have no problem with the current layout either - simple, clean and no distracting graphics

Send Nm Mail to RoninUK Add RoninUK to your favorites list
RedChecker

Photographer
City: Stoke Mandeville
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:45am

It works quickly enough as it is on my iPhone - even without a 3G or even Edge connection

Send Nm Mail to RedChecker Add RedChecker to your favorites list
paulcoxphotography

Photographer
City: Manchester
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 3:46am

quoting post from rugglez:

the problem is that I am getting people asking to look at my portfolio and I am a bit embarrassed sending them to this site as they all comment on how dated it looks - which reflects badly on me. Not sure this is a great thing for me as I am paying to have my portfolio on here.

Would you not be better directing them to your own site (as given in your notes)?

The NM portfolio is primarily a shop front for interfacing with other members of NM who will be in a similar position to you in terms of layout. Non members can't see your nude images for example.

I'd personally prefer a black or white theme to the grey one but I have the theme I want on my own site so it's no real issue for me.

Send Nm Mail to paulcoxphotography Add paulcoxphotography to your favorites list
 Marianne_Davies

Photographer
City: London
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 4:02am

IF It's not broken No need to fix it.......as everyone else said clean .clear and we like it

Marianne

under 18 moderator

Send Nm Mail to Marianne_Davies Add Marianne_Davies to your favorites list
 Myk

Photographer
City: Pant
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 4:03am

Much more useful to me would be the enhancements we have all been asking for

There is a small group of us who would like some moderator tools

Send Nm Mail to Myk Add Myk to your favorites list
keithcurtis

Photographer
City: Romsey
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 6:47am

I'm with Ace about the clean layout. I have my computes set to the old windows 2000 interface for the same reason. Maximum useable space without wasted graphics getting in the way.

I am also with Myk that it would be nice to see some of the excellent suggestions implemented occasionally. Some sites are very quick to put good ideas into practice.

Keith

Send Nm Mail to keithcurtis Add keithcurtis to your favorites list
Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 6:58am

The pale grey is not great but the functionality is just fine with me. It keeps to the KISS rule.

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
ajc07977

Photographer
City: Ipswich
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 6:58am

quoting post from keithcurtis:

I'm with Ace about the clean layout. I have my computes set to the old windows 2000 interface for the same reason. Maximum useable space without wasted graphics getting in the way.

I am also with Myk that it would be nice to see some of the excellent suggestions implemented occasionally. Some sites are very quick to put good ideas into practice.

Keith

Very true. I like the way the grey is not straining my eyes like the bright white on PS.

I too have Windows 7 looking like XP .... and the taskbar at the bottom of my screen is as near as damn the same colour as NM grey !

Then again - I am sure I am a bit "Mr Man @ C&A" with my sense of fashion + only certain shiny 'hip n cool' things impress me these days

Andrew
______

" Grumpy cynicism now an optional extra, not standard "

Send Nm Mail to ajc07977 Add ajc07977 to your favorites list
Crippen

Photographer
City: Sheffield
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 9:01am

No problem with the basic layout here, however I do feel the whole 'looking for work' section, is fundamentally flawed and is due a major overhaul.

If you compare NM with Mayhem or Purestorm, then NM is much trickier to find out who's offering what, without navigating your way around the very bowels of the site.

Something on the front page, a shortcut to 'castings', plus some form of link from each member's PF page (to their own particular castings/needs/offers), would surely make the site more work orientated, rather than just a place where members come to gossip, talk politics and play games.

Dave

Send Nm Mail to Crippen Add Crippen to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Crippen at 08-17-2010 9:18 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
ajc07977

Photographer
City: Ipswich
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 9:13am

quoting post from Crippen:

No problem with the basic layout here, however I do feel the whole 'looking for work' section, is fundamentally flawed and is due a major overhaul.

If you compare NM with Mayhem or Purestorm, then NM is much trickier to find out who's offering what, without navigating your way around the very bowels of the site.

Something on the front page, a shortcut to 'castings', plus some form of link from each member's PF page (to there own particular castings/needs/offers), would surely make the site more work orientated, rather than just a place where members come to gossip, talk politics and play games.

Dave

100% Agree with this analysis.

Overall 'look' and layout of site is fine (has always had best 'forums orientated' homepage IMHO). A subtle superficial 'makeover' though would at least HIGHLIGHT that other changes to the site had taken place:

i.e. what Dave has mentioned (Casting Calls by geographic area etc etc).

Andrew
______

" Grumpy cynicism now an optional extra, not standard "

Send Nm Mail to ajc07977 Add ajc07977 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by ajc07977 at 08-17-2010 9:13 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
rugglez

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Gloucester
RE: NM layout update? Aug 17, 2010 10:10am

quoting post from paulcoxphotography:

Would you not be better directing them to your own site (as given in your notes)?

The NM portfolio is primarily a shop front for interfacing with other members of NM who will be in a similar position to you in terms of layout. Non members can't see your nude images for example.

I'd personally prefer a black or white theme to the grey one but I have the theme I want on my own site so it's no real issue for me.

Paul, The problem is that my site is still a work in progress, and with the lack of web publishing skills I have, it looks like it is going to be that way for some time.

Anyways, I guess I was just hoping that a Subaru was on its way so I could scrap the Morris. The community has spoken though and I will retreat to my little rock. I can of course live with the design, just thought I would pose the question....

Send Nm Mail to rugglez Add rugglez to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts