3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Touching and moving 
Rupie

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Evesham
Views : 2573  Dec 19, 2010 9:04pm

On a club shoot an few weeks ago. Model was great but know matter what I said, they would not put their arm in the right place. In the end I moved it myself. I got a massive telling off by the organiser for touching the model.

She did not say anything and, although nude, my movements were only to her hair, because of her arm, on her shoulder, know where near anything sexual, at all, by any photographers imagination, ever, ever, ever.

Discuss.

Send Nm Mail to Rupie Add Rupie to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Stephowitt

Model
City: Stoke On Trent
RE: Touching and moving Dec 19, 2010 9:27pm

Often photographers ask me if it's okay to move some hair etc if I am in a pose and I don't mind, but on a few occasions photographers have just pulled my arm to move it etc and I do think it's a little rude. I don't think most models mind, aslong as you ask and it isn't anything dodgy, lol.

Steph
Xx

Send Nm Mail to Stephowitt Add Stephowitt to your favorites list
Andy_B

Photographer
City: London
RE: Touching and moving Dec 19, 2010 9:41pm

Never touch anyone without permission. Not only because it's potentially 'dodgy' - it's just bad manners.

It's no big deal to say 'hey, is it OK if I just move your hair out of the way' (or whatever) - and wait for a reply/permission.

The model stays in control - and noone is made to feel uncomfortable.

Send Nm Mail to Andy_B Add Andy_B to your favorites list
PHOTOJOE99

Photographer
City, St: Hemlock, MI
RE: Touching and moving Dec 19, 2010 11:34pm

+1

Send Nm Mail to PHOTOJOE99 Add PHOTOJOE99 to your favorites list
Damien

Photographer
City: Bristol
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 3:17am

I fully agree with this. There are occasions, especially with hair, that you may need to move it yourself to get the result you need. asking and awaiting permission is the only way.

Send Nm Mail to Damien Add Damien to your favorites list
DavidL

Photographer
City: Postling, Hythe
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 3:20am

Most models do not mind, but in my experience all prefer to be asked first.

DavidL

Send Nm Mail to DavidL Add DavidL to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 3:28am

There is a breed of photographer that believes life is run on railway lines and there are rules for everything.

There are 'rules' for composition, for exposure, subject matter etc. etc.

They do the same thing with the rest of their photography, constantly seeking the "secret rules" that will transform them from uninspired geek, to brilliant photographic artist.

In the main they are idiots who can not grasp the simple idea that the so-called rules in photography are there for the guidance of the wise and the blind obediance of fools.

Before asking the question, "Is it alright to touch a model?" ask yourself "Is it alright if I touch the plumber, when he comes tomorrow to fix the boiler?"

It is a stupid question. The question should be, "Is it alright to touch a model/plumber/shop-assistant/dance-partner/my wife/my mate's wife... in a socialy acceptable manner?"

The answer is clearly, "yes." It is alright if it is done in the right way and in the right context BUT it is only socially acceptable if you have created an appropriate relationship. Offer your hand to a visitor on arrival and they take it and shake it: that is OK. ASK a model if you can touch their hair, foot, hand... and GET THEIR permission, then there is not a problem. Except that the small minded PC nerks will have apoplexy because you broke a rule.

I would have been inclined to tell the idiot to F off.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

Percy Bysshe Shelley ~ Love's Philosophy

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
Allinthemind

Photographer
City: Gloucester
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 3:48am

As long as you ask, I don't see a problem. I've usually done the makeup anyway so have been "touching" their face for a while. Especially on close-up headshots where there are stray hairs etc.

Si

Send Nm Mail to Allinthemind Add Allinthemind to your favorites list
JGH

Photographer
City: Stoneleigh, nr Epsom
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 4:11am

I recall reading in a book many years ago the advice not to touch a model without permission. The author observed that it is often those who do a lot of wedding / social photography who find it hardest to follow this principle as they are quite used to nudging people into position or moving the position of the bride's hands on her bouquet or whatever.

It's fine to point that out afterwards that nobody could construe your actions as sexual. However, at the time a model may not know what your intentions are or what you are going to do next. She may feel rather vulnerable, particularly if she is nude, so courtesy suggests seeking permission first.

EDIT: Hmm, an outbreak of unity in the forums ? Surely someone will come along soon to offer a contrary view ?

Send Nm Mail to JGH Add JGH to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by JGH at 12-20-2010 4:18 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
DigitalGlowPhotography

Photographer
City: Ebbw Vale
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 4:36am

I have to hold my hand up to this one...I could possibly be the worst culprit for touching a model. Don't get me wrong i have never and would never touch anything i'm not supposed to, but i do just walk straight in there and move the model or her arms or even brush her hair without asking first. I think it's probably because we always hit it off straight away, a shoot with me is always a laugh no matter what happen and so far i don't think any minds at all (well i hope they don't). But after all that, yes, you should ask first.

Send Nm Mail to DigitalGlowPhotography Add DigitalGlowPhotography to your favorites list
Kenp

Photographer
City: Weymouth/Portland DT3
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 4:44am

What about all the models that keep touching photographers? I don't want to wrestle (you know who you are), I just want to take photographs.

-------------------
Endeavor to Persevere!
-------------------

Send Nm Mail to Kenp Add Kenp to your favorites list
paulminus273

Photographer
City: Peterborough
RE: Touching and moving Dec 20, 2010 6:58am

Rules are there for the guidance of the wise and the blind obedience of fools.
Is sound advice that I was first given to me some 40 year ago in a context as far from anything creative as you can imagine but hold true in all life.

More sound advice given to me by my very prim and proper grandmother looking over her glasses (the ones that just hold on the nose I have forgotten then name but it begins with p ) Good manners at all times.

If universally used would end most if not all the woes on here

Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself

Send Nm Mail to paulminus273 Add paulminus273 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by paulminus273 at 12-20-2010 6:58 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Freelance_Bob

Photographer
City: Malvern
RE: Touching and moving Jan 9, 2011 4:29am

Really?

I am still amazed by the number of photographer s who can do a shoot without saying more than a few words to the model. How disrespectful!

Talk to the girl for goodness sake. I find the words 'do you mind if?....' works a treat. I have never had a problem in 25 years of shooting and providing you have created a professional working environment where the models feels respected there shouldn't be an issue moving hair or clothing.

Surely this is basic common sense and social interaction? I can't believe these posts sometimes!

Send Nm Mail to Freelance_Bob Add Freelance_Bob to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts