3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : What film? 
AndyM

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bristol
Views : 2090  Jun 7, 2011 10:52am

I'm really tempted to take along an old film camera to my next shoot and run a roll of film through it.

I've not shot colour negative for a long long time (I was using transparency for the last few years I was using film), so I'm not sure what the best film for portraits is these days.

As far as I can see, Fuji Reala is supposed to be good for portraits. Anyone have any opinions?

--
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Send Nm Mail to AndyM Add AndyM to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
DMGPhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: What film? Jun 15, 2011 7:46pm

As someone who still shoots film, the choices are becoming more and more limited. Fuji Reala bit the dust a while back, but the films I use for portraits are Kodak Portra 160 NC and Fuji Pro 160C, which are still available.

Send Nm Mail to DMGPhotography Add DMGPhotography to your favorites list
indemnity

Photographer
City: Chorley
RE: What film? Jun 15, 2011 10:18pm

Agree with Fuji pro. However, well worth a go with Fuji Acros Neopan 100 b&w.

Send Nm Mail to indemnity Add indemnity to your favorites list
Steevee7

Photographer
City: Bridport
RE: What film? Jun 16, 2011 3:04am

Kodak Ektar 100 is a lovely film. Probably the most recent negative film to be produced it has a very fine grain.

Send Nm Mail to Steevee7 Add Steevee7 to your favorites list
mannybash

Photographer
City: London
RE: What film? Jun 16, 2011 3:59am

Shame that they stopped fuji reala a lovely landscape film but the choices are good portra and fuji NPC but i'd disagree with kodak extar 100 too saturated

Send Nm Mail to mannybash Add mannybash to your favorites list
AndyM

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bristol
RE: What film? Jun 17, 2011 10:26am

I did try Ektar back in the mod 90s I think, and found for some reason or another that I hated it.

I looked on 7dayshop back when I first posted this thread, and they still have some Reala, so I may get a roll or two for an upcoming shoot.

--
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Send Nm Mail to AndyM Add AndyM to your favorites list
anthonyh

Photographer
City: Ramsgate and Chelmsford
RE: What film? Jun 17, 2011 11:20am

I don't use colour film, but I recall reading some time ago on a photographers forum (can't remember which, but my original google had been scanning techniques) that one needs to think differently if the film is going to be scanned as opposed to used traditionally.

The nub of the article was that some emulsions scan well but are not necessarily the best for dark room use...and visa versa.

Send Nm Mail to anthonyh Add anthonyh to your favorites list
AshleyMarkPomeroy

Photographer
City: Salisbury
RE: What film? Feb 5, 2012 12:17pm

I've been shooting a lot of film recently - a mixture of Portra 400, Ektar, and Ektachrome, with a few others scattered amongst them. The impression I get is that, assuming you're going to scan the results and work on them in Photoshop, it doesn't really matter. The new Portra is supposed to be more "scannable", with less grain than before, but I suspect that's Kodak marketing nonsense.

As a consequence I generally opt for Portra (because it has wide latitude) or Ektachrome if I don't plan on doing much retouching.

E.g. the following two images were both shot on Portra, but they look radically different because I've worked on them differently, and there's nothing really Portra about them any more:

In contrast this was shot with Ektachrome, no retouching beyond click white balance (it scanned very purple):

"I did try Ektar back in the mod 90s I think, and found for some reason or another that I hated it."

Ektar was launched in 2008 - you must have used another film. It's generally thought of as being a bit too saturated for people.

Send Nm Mail to AshleyMarkPomeroy Add AshleyMarkPomeroy to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by AshleyMarkPomeroy at 02-05-2012 12:18 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts