2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Why is it so ? 
Rimfire

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Gosford/ Central Coast- N.S.W.
Views : 1786  Nov 17, 2011 12:15am

Often we see new models come to this site and start up a folio but weather it be poor management from the controllers or whatever the models never reply to e-mails sent. ( I offer paid work opportunities as well within the ticked boxes from the given models)
In the past any e-mail sent was re- directed to a designated e-mail address but that never happens these days. Mind you I rarely check in anyway here, as there is little use for this site these days.
Last girl that actually bothered to reply re- directed me to her MM site and we have worked together since, catching up there, and e-mailing directly with each other.
I haven't had an e-mail from a model in nearly 3 years here apart from the one individual that actually checked her e-mails and replied.
I've worked with nearly 30 models from MM and only a couple from Star Now ( pretty hopeless bunch there)
Makes one wonder why models bother to set up an account when they never check their e-mails and or reply.
Such is Life !!

Send Nm Mail to Rimfire Add Rimfire to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Marianne_Davies

Photographer
City: London
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 17, 2011 1:57am

Got to agree......why do people set up accounts and not use them?

Hmmmm an ego thing LOOK friends I'm a model on a model site

It's a waste of time people take to mail them and offer them work whe they just PLAY at being a future model....ughhhhhh and a waste of valuable space putting photos up that they needn't have

Rant over and hope its sunny in gorgeous Australia xxx

UNDER 18 MODERATOR

Send Nm Mail to Marianne_Davies Add Marianne_Davies to your favorites list
ivanafox

Model
City: Melbourne Suburbs
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 18, 2011 10:59pm

There are a lot of modelling sites so I'm thinking it could be a bit deceptive to these models. They think that if they have 20 profiles out there the work will come to them, they'll become rich and famous just by putting their info out there. The reality is that there is about 2 model sites that seem to be active as far as Aussies go which means no instant fame and fortune.
Oh and they actually have to put in some effort.
So the idea just goes to poo.
Also a lot of them have people in their ear after they put their profiles on going "OMG what if the photographer is an axe murdererrrrrr?" so when a photographer e-mails them she has no idea how to check out if the photographer is an axe murderer or not so just to be safe she ignores the e-mails and gets on to twitter "oooh i'm so populaaaaar, I got asked for another shoot. I'm so hot!" and posts a webcam image of themselves with their sexy pout just to prove they are the hottest model about..

Send Nm Mail to ivanafox Add ivanafox to your favorites list
martinrobinson

Photographer
City: Rojales, Alicante
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 19, 2011 3:46am

If I had a Euro for every time I've had that experience I'd be a wealthy artist!

I offer paid work & get replies to casting calls saying how keen they are to work with me, love my work, always wanted to be an artists model, etc., etc., - but then never even log back onto the site, so haven't read my reply.

I think the idea of coming to work in Spain appeals but then they chicken out.

Other times I do get replies and the model just seems to want to chat on-line by sending loads of emails but never committing themselves to work with me.

All very frustrating!

But fortunately I have had some good models from this site & many return regularly.

Send Nm Mail to martinrobinson Add martinrobinson to your favorites list
MattMiller

Photographer
City: Southend on Sea
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 19, 2011 5:35am

quoting post from martinrobinson:

If I had a Euro for every time I've had that experience I'd be a wealthy artist!

Not if you keep it in Eruos you wont ... If you want to stay a welthy man you'll have to change them into something a bit more stable like the Somali shilling

Matt Miller Photography

Send Nm Mail to MattMiller Add MattMiller to your favorites list
Circles_of_Confusion

Photographer
City: Llanelli
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 19, 2011 5:50am

quoting post from ivanafox:

There are a lot of modelling sites so I'm thinking it could be a bit deceptive to these models. They think that if they have 20 profiles out there the work will come to them, they'll become rich and famous just by putting their info out there. The reality is that there is about 2 model sites that seem to be active as far as Aussies go which means no instant fame and fortune.
Oh and they actually have to put in some effort.
So the idea just goes to poo.
Also a lot of them have people in their ear after they put their profiles on going "OMG what if the photographer is an axe murdererrrrrr?" so when a photographer e-mails them she has no idea how to check out if the photographer is an axe murderer or not so just to be safe she ignores the e-mails and gets on to twitter "oooh i'm so populaaaaar, I got asked for another shoot. I'm so hot!" and posts a webcam image of themselves with their sexy pout just to prove they are the hottest model about..

Are we related?

Circles Incredible Blog

Send Nm Mail to Circles_of_Confusion Add Circles_of_Confusion to your favorites list
Collector

Photographer
City: Sydney
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 20, 2011 7:38pm

I recently had a major surprise when a model from this site actually contacted me about a shoot and, much to my surprise, went through with it! A rare creature indeed.
Why people don't respond to emails is a mystery, a "thanks but no thanks" response is better than nothing and doesn't burn bridges.
Perhaps some people in this industry, models, photographers, makeup artists etc need to get a little grasp of reality and realise they running a business. You never know how much damage ignoring a potential client can do to your business and brand.

Send Nm Mail to Collector Add Collector to your favorites list
Rimfire

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Gosford/ Central Coast- N.S.W.
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 20, 2011 8:22pm

Marianne.
Topped 36.5 deg C here on the Sunny Central Coast during last week so the temps are slowly warming up.
Had 34 yesterday and back to 22 today ( typical Aussie weather Not so sunny Central Coast today.
Back to my post.
I agree that many a new comber set up a *folio* like Marianne and Ivanafox have stated.
I try to avoid contacting the like but sometimes working with a fresh un-adulterated face is a good thing.
Most of the generation Y are pretty sav to the workings of the net so I don't find this an excuse to avoid contact and or the ability to check out any ones reputation and or resume online.
I have photographers call me from all over Australia asking about models so I'can't imaging that in this txting age that there isn't sufficient info available to enquiring eyes.
Generally it can't be too hard to work out the difference between a GWC and a pro ?
As stated a simple thank you but no thank you, is better than no reply at all particularly from a Business prospective and lets face it the minute you post a *folio* up as a model you are *Open for business*.
Back to the BBQ

Send Nm Mail to Rimfire Add Rimfire to your favorites list
brisman

Photographer
City: Brisbane
RE: Why is it so ? Nov 26, 2011 1:16am

Hi,

A model website is a model website is a model website. This website is just as good as Model Mayhem and other major model websites. The only beef I have with Model Mayhem is that when I post to their forums, I cannot get notification of replies to my posts or threads so I have to log-in to see what gets subsequently posted.

Unlike Americans, I think Australian net users tend to get scared off internet forums pretty easily if flame wars and character attacks start happening. Most Australian models and photographers have taken to using MySpace and Facebook fan pages to advertise their work.

Whether you are a photographer or a GWC, you've still gotta approach models with a sense of professionalism. Especially when contacting them for the first time. It comes down to how you make the model feel in your presence in the end as to whether they'll let you shoot with them or not.

Communication is the key to success in every industry, especially the arts and entertainment one. Even if modelling or photography is a hobby for you, you still have to take it seriously enough for people to respect and encourage you.

Send Nm Mail to brisman Add brisman to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Moderators :

lrphoto

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts