3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Dropped my Canon 50mm 1.8 in the River Tees :( 
myky

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: York
Views : 841  Jan 23, 2012 10:56am

dropped my baby lens in the River Tees Yesterday and managed to retrieve it. after climbing down a eroded bank to save it!

its currently drying out in rice but am pretty sure its buggered at the min so £25 on the insurance isn't too bad!

anyone manage to salvage a drowned lens before?

Send Nm Mail to myky Add myky to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Violet_Ecstasy

Model
City: Wolverhampton

not a lens but salvaged an ipod touch in a bag with lots of little bags of silica gel

Dried rice will work but silica gel should be better.

Send Nm Mail to Violet_Ecstasy Add Violet_Ecstasy to your favorites list
DaniRiot

Photographer
City: London

Never anything very expensive, but have lost various reflectors and polyboard in rivers, streams, trees etc... the wind seems to love them.

Send Nm Mail to DaniRiot Add DaniRiot to your favorites list
KpH

Photographer
City: Benfleet

Lens in the river? Did you want to make it a fish-eye?

I'll get my coat.....

Send Nm Mail to KpH Add KpH to your favorites list
MattMiller

Photographer
City: Southend on Sea

I dropped my Nikon D70 in the sea at Brighton a few years ago ... gave it a good shake and carried on using it ... no ill effects apart from a light grinding sound when focusing and a bit of condensation in the lens which went away after a while, still using it today ... you should have bought Nikon and saved on the insurance

Matt Miller Photography

Send Nm Mail to MattMiller Add MattMiller to your favorites list
Circles_of_Confusion

Photographer
City: Llanelli

Back in my electronic days, I used have electronic equipment sent to me where the items had suffered an accident of some sort and it was my job to test the equipment for previous faults prior to the "accident" There are lots of common faults for various pieces of electronic equipment and basically it meant doing tests on the components that often failed within that particular model. For instance a TV that fell down the stairs wouldn't suddenly develop a short circuited line output transistor, etc.

I'm not suggesting there was anything wrong with your lens of course but accidents such as electronic equipment going for a swim are sometimes met with suspicion.

I only mentioned it because it reminded me of a previous life that I once had...

Circles Incredible Blog

Send Nm Mail to Circles_of_Confusion Add Circles_of_Confusion to your favorites list
Circles_of_Confusion

Photographer
City: Llanelli

quoting post from KpH:

Lens in the river? Did you want to make it a fish-eye?

I'll get my coat.....

That was awful.......that was even worse than any of mine....I wish I'd thought of it....

Circles Incredible Blog

Send Nm Mail to Circles_of_Confusion Add Circles_of_Confusion to your favorites list
MattMiller

Photographer
City: Southend on Sea

quoting post from Circles_of_Confusion:

Back in my electronic days, I used have electronic equipment sent to me where the items had suffered an accident of some sort and it was my job to test the equipment for previous faults prior to the "accident" There are lots of common faults for various pieces of electronic equipment and basically it meant doing tests on the components that often failed within that particular model. For instance a TV that fell down the stairs wouldn't suddenly develop a short circuited line output transistor, etc.

I'm not suggesting there was anything wrong with your lens of course but accidents such as electronic equipment going for a swim are sometimes met with suspicion.

I only mentioned it because it reminded me of a previous life that I once had...

Circles Incredible Blog

Indeed some years ago a workmate bought a broken telly off me for £25 its none of my business why he wanted to buy a telly that didnt work however his house had been flooded the previous week ... Not sure how he was planning on making it water damaged though beacuse it was a bit big to fit in the bath ...

Matt Miller Photography

Send Nm Mail to MattMiller Add MattMiller to your favorites list
Petesky

Photographer
City: Portsmouth

Bad luck mate.You never know, it may dry out ok!

My tripod slipped off a rock once and landed horizontally in runny mud.My Canon 30D and Sigma 10-20 Lens were over 50% submerged in it.When I lifted them up it looked like they'd been dipped in melted chocolate lol

A stranger kindly gave me a dry rag(this was after about 10 mins rock hopping to get back to the road) which I used to remove most of the mud.After a more thorough clean back home both camera and lens worked fine. And still are :-)

On another note,I've gone swimming with my phone in my pocket,dropped another in a bucket of dilutedPVA,and another in a cup of tea(don't ask!). And they all worked fine once taken apart and dried out!(usually with a hair dryer)

So keep yer fingers crossed.

Send Nm Mail to Petesky Add Petesky to your favorites list
stevieduncan

Photographer
City: York

yes before they had electronics.....

Send Nm Mail to stevieduncan Add stevieduncan to your favorites list
photo_uk

Photographer
City: London

If you are feeling daring, you could soak your lens in isopropyl alcohol to help disperse the water as described here:

http://www.squidoo.com/Wet_Camera_Lens

Send Nm Mail to photo_uk Add photo_uk to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts