alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
3 members online. 
3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : (N) Focus on technique or expression? 
DanielBa

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Barcelona
Views : 1980  Apr 5, 2012 10:16am

Well, to say it directly: I personally believe that the technical aspects in photography are supervalued. Especially since everybody can "better" its images via photoshop and cameras deliver sharp, unwiggly images "out of the box".

But there were great photographs taken at the times where there was no computer, not even "good" cameras.

So, is it really so very important, that the focus is perfectly on the right place, that the histogram does not show any gaps, that there are details in all light and shadow parts of an image, and so on?

I teach artistic nude workshops and I put almost all the importance on creativity, composition, expression, and just a little bit on technical aspects.

I'd like to know your opinion!

(btw. my workshops can be found here: http://www.daniel-bauer.com/workshop/workshops_en.html However, there are only very few places left)

Send Nm Mail to DanielBa Add DanielBa to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge

I'm self taught, don't edit images (except cropping) and have never looked at a histogram. I tend to find what looks good through the viewfinder and work from there.

I think the creative side is where a truely good image comes from....though a lack of technical ability will cock it up.

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
ScottChappell

Photographer
City: Poole

quoting post from DanielBa:

I teach artistic nude workshops and I put almost all the importance on creativity, composition, expression, and just a little bit on technical aspects.

(btw. my workshops can be found here: http://www.daniel-bauer.com/workshop/workshops_en.html However, there are only very few places left)

If you put so much importance on composition why did you place a f+++++g great big white blob in the middle of the frame that takes all the attention away from the model?

Over to you Mr Nutterly for a proper professional critique.

Scott

Send Nm Mail to ScottChappell Add ScottChappell to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by ScottChappell at 04-05-2012 12:25 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
paulcoxphotography

Photographer
City: Manchester

So, is it really so very important, that the focus is perfectly on the right place, that the histogram does not show any gaps, that there are details in all light and shadow parts of an image, and so on?

Equally is it necessary for the model to be naked to learn to take good images?

In terms of the importance of technique, it's esstential in my view that the focus is where you want it even if your decision is that it's not in of focus. The reality is that technique is relatively easy to teach, 'being artistic' less so.

http://paulcoxphotography.co.uk/new-dance-photography-workshop/

Send Nm Mail to paulcoxphotography Add paulcoxphotography to your favorites list
MattMiller

Photographer
City: Southend on Sea

Erm ... what was the question again ... I got lost at "histogram" whatever that is ...

Send Nm Mail to MattMiller Add MattMiller to your favorites list
GaryO

Photographer
City: Hinckley

quoting post from paulcoxphotography:

Equally is it necessary for the model to be naked to learn to take good images?

Where does he say the model has to be naked to learn how to take good images ?

He said he does art-nude workshops, no implication there that the only way to learn is to shoot art-nude.

And I though I was antagonistic.

Caution: Internet message boards are not a playground for the hyper-sensitive. NOTHING here (especially my 'attitude') should be taken too seriously.

Send Nm Mail to GaryO Add GaryO to your favorites list
Orsoncarter

Photographer
City: Bath

...I teach artistic nude workshops and I put almost all the importance on creativity, composition, expression, and just a little bit on technical aspects...

Understood.

A lot of photographers seem hell-bent on technical perfection, but I've seen pics where the pursuit of technical perfection has strangled all the life and spontaneity out of them.

If a picture doesn't make you want to look at it, any technical excellence is wasted.

Send Nm Mail to Orsoncarter Add Orsoncarter to your favorites list
DavidL

Photographer
City: Postling, Hythe

If art is about communication, then I would submit that control of the medium is important. And even with an excellent technique is is possible, even important, to create art by controlling the medium in a particular way.

We must all have asked a model to repeat a series of poses in order to take different pictures of the same concept.

Nudity is not of course essential, but many of the greatest artists the world has ever known have been inspired by the nude human form to produce pictures of breathtaking beauty. It is only natural for us to try to emulate them.

DavidL

Send Nm Mail to DavidL Add DavidL to your favorites list
Allinthemind

Photographer
City: Gloucester

I suppose it depends on what you include in technique. I'd include composition and expression in technique.

Si

Send Nm Mail to Allinthemind Add Allinthemind to your favorites list
 Sharpshooter

Photographer
City: Glastonbury

I remember years ago reading an article in a photographic magazine about photographic galleries, which included a glossary of terms used around such places. The one that this thread brings to mind is: "He doesn't let the medium get in the way of the message", which translated as: "He hasn't got the hang of focussing, exposure or composition but he had a go anyway".

Ed
---------------------------------------------

I've found a way to make you
I've found a way
a way to make you smile

Send Nm Mail to Sharpshooter Add Sharpshooter to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images