1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : First time with Macro 
russ85

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Glasgow
Views : 1894  Aug 25, 2012 12:40pm

I had a go with macro photography today for the first time. I photoshopped them a little but minimal.
Overall I quite like them but some feedback would be good to improve them. I am able to do the shots again so any advice with setup and shooting is welcome

Rough setup was:

Manual focus
Marco Mode on DSLR
Natural (cloudily day) light for brighter photos and torch light for darker photos.
Flash turned off.
A4 white paper for background
Tripod
Timer
18-55mm kit Lens

Send Nm Mail to russ85 Add russ85 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by russ85 at 08-25-2012 2:34 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
SKPhotography

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: First time with Macro Feb 15, 2013 11:08am

Not too bad a go! I find the dog ones a bit too dark and washed out. Maybe slightly longer shuttspeed and some contrast adjustments in photoshop?

The bright one was pretty good. I 1st had to take a dbl check to make sure it wasnt a real person dressed as lock.

Send Nm Mail to SKPhotography Add SKPhotography to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
SKPhotography

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: First time with Macro Feb 15, 2013 11:16am

Hope u dont mind, 30secs in photoshop, levels and sharpen.

4th one down i think.

Send Nm Mail to SKPhotography Add SKPhotography to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by SKPhotography at 02-15-2013 11:18 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: First time with Macro Feb 15, 2013 11:55am

Macro mode on camera is less relevant than using a macro lens. What are the macro capabilities of your kit lens?

Can you get hold of a tube or two? If you can, then that will test you rather more.

Certainly for macro you need a tripod. Almost impossible without. What camera are you using? I ask because that may have a bearing on what macro kit you can add to it. How big is the soldier? I am guessing about 3"??.

Can your college supply you with a bellows? That would be the best you could hope for at this stage.

In the long run, if you really get into macro seriously, then you need stacking software and a motorised, automatic train to fire up to 30 or 40 shots at slightly different focal point points and then stack the images to get depth of field. Fun but very involved and takes time to set up and time to shoot.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts