alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
4 members online. 
3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : A bit heavy but very funny ! 
Turner_110

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Sheffield
Views : 1918  Aug 31, 2012 9:39am

"The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington, chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of t heir beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

Send Nm Mail to Turner_110 Add Turner_110 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
HelenDiaz

Model
City: Chippenham
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 9:49am

My quick analysis after reading this is that instead of procrastinating and wasting valuable time evaluating "Hell" (which may or may not exist) we should instead focus our intellect and energy on the hell on earth we are all creating and live in the real world, at least, whilst we are all still here.

Just a thought

http://www.starnow.co.uk/helendiaz

Send Nm Mail to HelenDiaz Add HelenDiaz to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 10:09am

quoting post from HelenDiaz:

My quick analysis after reading this is that instead of procrastinating and wasting valuable time evaluating "Hell" (which may or may not exist) we should instead focus our intellect and energy on the hell on earth we are all creating and live in the real world, at least, whilst we are all still here.

Just a thought

QV. The Cathars, who claimed that on death everyone goes to heaven because hell is here.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
City: Paignton
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 1:13pm

A good post, an enlightening answer by the chap.
Good to read after a hard day at a wedding.

Friday night, where's my voddie?

Send Nm Mail to mattharper Add mattharper to your favorites list
SarahJaneModel

Model
City: Leicester
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 1:49pm

Hilarious!!

When I sat my chemistry finals there is no way I would have
been able to come up with that answer......wish I was as clever as him

Remember that happiness is as contagious as gloom

Send Nm Mail to SarahJaneModel Add SarahJaneModel to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 1:55pm

quoting post from SarahJaneModel:

Hilarious!!

When I sat my chemistry finals there is no way I would have
been able to come up with that answer......wish I was as clever as him

Remember that happiness is as contagious as gloom

well, you answered that yourself, "as clever as "HIM""

johnlp

Photographer
City: London
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 5:05pm

Is there the assumption that thestudent was male? It is far more interesting to suppose they were female!

Send Nm Mail to johnlp Add johnlp to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Aug 31, 2012 5:09pm

quoting post from johnlp:

Is there the assumption that thestudent was male? It is far more interesting to suppose they were female!

As they shagged Teresa last night, I am assuming the subject of the post was male

I know, it is unsafe to assume this, especially as every female I meet declares undying lesbianism as soon as I offer them pork

Artwayze

Photographer
City: Birmingham
RE: A bit heavy but very funny ! Sep 9, 2012 2:29am

quoting post from HelenDiaz:

Just a thought

Absolutely.... 10/10[/img]

Send Nm Mail to Artwayze Add Artwayze to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts