alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
4 members online. 
4 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Down to the wire now..... 
Bob_d

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Chippenham
Views : 2464  Sep 2, 2012 4:27am

I would just like to wish everyone soldiering on here all the best.....as my premium membership fizzles out in a week's time, and I have been finding of late that I cannot seem to find the time to login anymore.

I used to.......even when insanely busy, but watching the place decay a bit has made it more of a chore.

All I would say is:

Remember the heady days, and forum riots fondly..........because I fear they are long gone now!

All the best!

Bob

Send Nm Mail to Bob_d Add Bob_d to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
mattharper

Photographer
City: Paignton
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 5:16am

It is really funny how people look upon past forum battles and spats with fondness, yet some blame just this for the demise of this site.

I don't believe for one minute that the forum activity and subjects has much, if any effect on the lack of new members joining. It is the structure and functionality of the site, plain and simple. The decline is like anything else, once started, it needs something major to reverse it, sadly, that hasn't happened and a competitor stepped in who is now taking members from other sites too. This decline has led to a lack of "good" activity and as a result, what is visible now, is pretty dire most of the time, which will only make the slope steeper and more slippery.

I have been here just under five years, four of them were awesome, I have had great fun here, met some wacky and brilliant people, those who I consider my best friends are people I met through this site, so I shall never regret being part of Net Model.

Logging in is a huge disappointment most of the time. I feel it is just a matter of time now, Bob, but I am hanging on, knowing the end is likely, but hopeful.

Without doubt, it has been the best site, but alas, no more.

Send Nm Mail to mattharper Add mattharper to your favorites list
SarahJaneModel

Model
City: Leicester
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 5:50am

It is so sad how many people are disappearing, or at least downgrading their membership.

Forum activity has declined so much that I generally log on and then log off again.

Like many I have become more active on the 'other' site, but it doesn't feel like 'home, I don't feel I belong there, maybe time will change that, we'll see.

NM has been a great site, and so many of us want the 'old days' back but time moves on and without some sort of commitment from the 'management' NM will remain in the 'good old days'.

I will keep my Gold membership, for now, because I still get some bookings from here, but I don't know for how long

Remember that happiness is as contagious as gloom

Send Nm Mail to SarahJaneModel Add SarahJaneModel to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 6:36am

My present hope is that NM will becomes a niche backwater, where the site is not busy or competing with the big sites and yet has interesting posts from those who don't like to get entangled in the forays of mainstream sites.

It does depend on what you consider "interesting" and that will be different things to different people. Sites like TFP bumble along and seems to have found a small but regular following.

I wish members complaining that NM is going down hill, when they have contributed 18 posts since 2006, would buzz off and let NM sink into cult status.

If every person who has written a "We're all doomed!" post had written something about modelling or photography, the forums would be more like "the good old days". You can blame management, technology and whatever but it's really down to the contributions made by the membership.

Sites like life are what you make them

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
martyn

Photographer
City: Cardiff
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 6:38am

quoting post from Bob_d:

I would just like to wish everyone soldiering on here all the best.....as my premium membership fizzles out in a week's time, and I have been finding of late that I cannot seem to find the time to login anymore.

I used to.......even when insanely busy, but watching the place decay a bit has made it more of a chore.

All I would say is:

Remember the heady days, and forum riots fondly..........because I fear they are long gone now!

All the best!

Bob

And another one bites the dust ... welcome to the free world

Send Nm Mail to martyn Add martyn to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 6:57am

quoting post from  Ace:

My present hope is that NM will becomes a niche backwater, where the site is not busy or competing with the big sites and yet has interesting posts from those who don't like to get entangled in the forays of mainstream sites.

It does depend on what you consider "interesting" and that will be different things to different people. Sites like TFP bumble along and seems to have found a small but regular following.

I wish members complaining that NM is going down hill, when they have contributed 18 posts since 2006, would buzz off and let NM sink into cult status.

If every person who has written a "We're all doomed!" post had written something about modelling or photography, the forums would be more like "the good old days". You can blame management, technology and whatever but it's really down to the contributions made by the membership.

Sites like life are what you make them

Sadly, it is not the case that the members make the site what it is.
The members are moving or have moved to sites where they get what they want.

What they want is MODELS and this site has done nothing to attract or retain models. This is the crux of the matter, it is a modelling/photography site and without models, it is f***ed.

If people want to talk about purely photographic issues, there are other p[laces, Ephotozine for one.

You can start as many photography related threads as you like, there are few people here to add weight to those forum topics.

I said it above, but it needs models, they attract the photographers. So, how to attract model? Make the site appeal to MODELS, us old gits can deal with whatever that change brings, technology changes or pretty banners, if the tits and ass are here, so will be the guys with the cameras. OK, tits and ass isn't the PC term, but it is the accurate one.

Let's not dress this up and pretend we want intelligent discussions about photography, they come along as part of the deal on a busy and active site.

What we have now, is miserable old buggers like me, crying out for changes to make the site appealing to models, we have very few quality models using the site, (not you Sarah, you is pure class) few of the photographers taking pics of these models and making the home page look awesome, we have readers' wives shots coming up daily and the images can stay there all day due to lack of new images coming on the site.

So, with all the best will in the world, intellect and cleverness won't fix it, it needs bloody MODELS, hundreds of them. The home page needs cleaning up, URGENTLY, even if that means half my tack doesn't make it there.

MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what photographers want and need for the site to work. It isn't hard, it is as plain as the noses on our faces, we need to attract new models. Did I mention the need for models?

In the days of two to five years ago, most of my shoots came about as a result of forum banter, usually in the off topic forum, where models joined in as well. Now there is a shortage of MODELS, they obviously aren't here to join in.

20 year old girl looks at NM and thinks, WTF is that, it looks shit and there is a 55 year old hag in readers' wives shots and fuck all else. What does she do, she hits the back button and goes to PP, PS or simply stays on Facebook.

Have I made my point yet?

What I really, honestly think, is we need to attract the very thing that we all want to photograph and believe it or not, that is models.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by mattharper at 09-02-2012 7:08 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
tarmoo

Photographer
City: Chatham
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 6:57am

This was the first site I joined (PS took 6 weeks to approve my profile) and the first few models I booked were from here via the studio I was using. I was told that this was the best site. Maybe it was prior to 2009.

After getting a few model feedbacks I decided to book models directly and that is where this site falls down. As a free member this is made almost impossible to do unless you go off-site after the first message. This problem does not exist with free PS accounts, so it was that site I used to book models and that site I upgraded because I had rarely used this one to book models. I have booked well over 100 models in the last three years, mostly on other sites.

The problem here is that the basics of what people need - adding pictures and booking shoots is incredibly cumbersome on here compare to the competition. It is not a huge job to fix. It is this reason why so many new members fail to use this as their primary site. How often do you see "I am never on here, contact me via my email" on model's profiles.

Send Nm Mail to tarmoo Add tarmoo to your favorites list
JadedRed

Model
City: Thurrock
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 7:04am

quoting post from  Ace:

Exactly.

Send Nm Mail to JadedRed Add JadedRed to your favorites list
Bob_d

RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 7:36am

I never meant my post to be a "we're all doomed".....I was merely saying a fond farewell to those who are fighting the good fight.

I kind of lost heart a while back, when there was quite a lot of general "us and them" going on, and what was one big community, seemed to fragment into small tribes.

I just got a bit bored with it all......and I am sure many felt the same.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Bob_d at 09-02-2012 7:36 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 8:57am

quoting post from mattharper:

If people want to talk about purely photographic issues, there are other p[laces, Ephotozine for one.

You can start as many photography related threads as you like, there are few people here to add weight to those forum topics.

Hi Matt,
I agree with you, the site does need models, that's why I included them in my post.

When I said membership, perhaps I should have made it clear that I included models in this. Your'e right, this is a site about models, it is called Net-Model and not Net-Photographer. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I agree that forums about "purely photographic" issues would be no good, which is why I said "modelling and photography". If people wrote about both topics, there would be more interest for models and photographers. I don't think it's an absolute answer but it would help because there would be something for everyone.

In time, when people have given up on NM and the infighting starts on other sites, I can see a few drifting back and NM becoming a cosy minority site.

Not what I want but I'm a realist.

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 9:18am

quoting post from  Ace:

Hi Matt,
I agree with you, the site does need models, that's why I included them in my post.

When I said membership, perhaps I should have made it clear that I included models in this. Your'e right, this is a site about models, it is called Net-Model and not Net-Photographer. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I agree that forums about "purely photographic" issues would be no good, which is why I said "modelling and photography". If people wrote about both topics, there would be more interest for models and photographers. I don't think it's an absolute answer but it would help because there would be something for everyone.

In time, when people have given up on NM and the infighting starts on other sites, I can see a few drifting back and NM becoming a cosy minority site.

Not what I want but I'm a realist.

Don't you start agreeing with me, I am trying to start a fight here and agreeing will kill it off

Modelling and photographic threads are good, they are part of what we all do, but they are questions and answers or opinions and advice, they don't get people communicating much.

Discussing Coronation Street does get people talking, banter leads to communication and on line friendships which leads to shoots and collaborations.

Generally, models won't get involved in Darkroom topics, photographers don't get too involved in make up threads, however, there are some who like to get involved in boob job threads, giving their infinite wisdom on the matter.

The community that once was, that led to some awesome pairings and shoots thrived on the off topic forum,. It is sad that the community is no longer strong, very sad, I would love to be able to rekindle it, but I know of no way to do it.

Looking back and remembering some of the shoots that went on, group shoots too, it was so different. We had the likes of Bryan Allman dropping cracking shots on our screens, Andrew Appleton, Mike Tucker, Kenp, McGillicuddy and more (don't be offended if I didn't use you as an example) then the models, Claire, the Ginger Scouser and a load more, all these people made up a great community. Accusations of cliques were spouted and I suppose in a way, they did exist, but not in an exclusive way, people just needed to get stuck in and join the "cliques". They were groups of like-minded people rather than some kind of club.

I guess it is evolution, some move on and become too good to hang around here and sadly, that is all the more apparent with the decline, if you were successful and moving up in the world, you would probably disassociate yourself from this site as it is now. Some leave, natural wastage, nothing we can do about that, apart from replace them and that's where it falls apart.

Before anyone accuses me of yet more doom and gloom, come on, it is all true, the site is crap now, getting more crap by the week. We can debate is all day long but it won't change anything unless something is done. That doesn't appear likely, but as I have said several times, I dream of waking up, logging in and finding a whole new site with new rules and incentives for people to produce quality and with things that will attract new models (and photographers).

SarahJaneModel

Model
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 2:27pm

I think Matt has some valid points, the site needs new models but NM looks so dated and the front page is often full of rather poor Readers Wives type images it must be off putting to young wannabes.

I don't want to be doom and gloom, in fact I am usually one of those telling the doom and gloom mongers to close the door quietly on the way out.

But i don't see what can be done now. It's all very well supporting the site but i'm not getting many shoots from here any more. There was a time when I was turning offers down.
I won't be leaving just yet but I want to shoot so I have to look at other sites

Petesky

Photographer
City: Portsmouth
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 4:18pm

quoting post from mattharper:

Sadly, it is not the case that the members make the site what it is.
The members are moving or have moved to sites where they get what they want.

What they want is MODELS and this site has done nothing to attract or retain models. This is the crux of the matter, it is a modelling/photography site and without models, it is f***ed.

I said it above, but it needs models, they attract the photographers. So, how to attract model? Make the site appeal to MODELS, us old gits can deal with whatever that change brings, technology changes or pretty banners, if the tits and ass are here, so will be the guys with the cameras. OK, tits and ass isn't the PC term, but it is the accurate one.

Let's not dress this up and pretend we want intelligent discussions about photography, they come along as part of the deal on a busy and active site.

What we have now, is miserable old buggers like me, crying out for changes to make the site appealing to models, we have very few quality models using the site, (not you Sarah, you is pure class) few of the photographers taking pics of these models and making the home page look awesome, we have readers' wives shots coming up daily and the images can stay there all day due to lack of new images coming on the site.

So, with all the best will in the world, intellect and cleverness won't fix it, it needs bloody MODELS, hundreds of them. The home page needs cleaning up, URGENTLY, even if that means half my tack doesn't make it there.

MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS, MODELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what photographers want and need for the site to work. It isn't hard, it is as plain as the noses on our faces, we need to attract new models. Did I mention the need for models?

In the days of two to five years ago, most of my shoots came about as a result of forum banter, usually in the off topic forum, where models joined in as well. Now there is a shortage of MODELS, they obviously aren't here to join in.

20 year old girl looks at NM and thinks, WTF is that, it looks shit and there is a 55 year old hag in readers' wives shots and fuck all else. What does she do, she hits the back button and goes to PP, PS or simply stays on Facebook.

Have I made my point yet?

What I really, honestly think, is we need to attract the very thing that we all want to photograph and believe it or not, that is models.

The man speaks sense. Clean up the homepage!!!

Send Nm Mail to Petesky Add Petesky to your favorites list
SarahJaneModel

Model
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 4:47pm

Love it!!!

PhilGW

Photographer
City: Weston-super-Mare
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 5:02pm

My gold membership lapsed a while back, I meant to renew but saw little point.
The promise of a dedicated casting call section, threaded mails so we could keep track of bookings easier, it never happened.
Everytime I arranged a shoot with a new girl I'd recommend this site but the "readers wives" front page makes me feel ashamed to show the site to anyone now.
I think we all tried hard....................

Send Nm Mail to PhilGW Add PhilGW to your favorites list
Focusphoto

Photographer
City: Bromley
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 6:04pm

quoting post from PhilGW:

My gold membership lapsed a while back, I meant to renew but saw little point.
The promise of a dedicated casting call section, threaded mails so we could keep track of bookings easier, it never happened.
Everytime I arranged a shoot with a new girl I'd recommend this site but the "readers wives" front page makes me feel ashamed to show the site to anyone now.
I think we all tried hard....................

I don't think you can just blame the front page. A lot of people, especially models, will join a site as a free member to see what it is like before maybe upgrading. And to be honest since I gave up my platinum membership and became a freebie I realise just how dire the site is. It is outdated, hard to use, unfriendly and for want of a better word, Cold.
As a free member it is garbage compared with most other sites. I have been here since 2001 and seen it get worse and worse. If the site became more user-friendly and worth logging in for it could still do well. I joined this site to book models and right now I just don't do that any more because they don't want to come here.
I worked with a model a month or so ago who joined the site, logged in three times and didn't bother again because it just didn't have anything to attract her to it.

Send Nm Mail to Focusphoto Add Focusphoto to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Focusphoto at 09-02-2012 6:05 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 MichaelSmith

Photographer
City: Adelaide
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 7:28pm

I let my paid membership lapse in 2010, mainly because of the decline in Aussie participation on here (possibly a foreshadowing of what will happen to the site as a whole?). Yes the lack of features was an issue too, but with no-one to book for shoots on here (apart from the occasional model travelling to Oz from the UK) there didn't seem to be much point in hanging around. I now log in about every 1-2 months to sweep the cobwebs out of my portfolio, and listen to the eerie echoes in the abandoned Aussie forum.

I like PP and am a member on there, but again the lack of Australian interest in that site (and yes I tried to encourage people to join, but I think Aussies have given up on internet modelling sites) I couldn't justify going to a paid membership on there. I've even recently reverted to a freebie membership on MM. It still has some use to me as I can't post nudes on Facebook.

Currently I'm using a patchwork of Facebook, Fetlife, DeviantArt and Model Mayhem.

Send Nm Mail to MichaelSmith Add MichaelSmith to your favorites list
 MichaelSmith

Photographer
City: Adelaide
RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 2, 2012 7:38pm

Also of the approx 1,700 Aussie photographers on here, just 15 still have paid memberships. Of the approx 2,500 Aussie models on here, just 2 are still paid members.

Send Nm Mail to MichaelSmith Add MichaelSmith to your favorites list
Bob_d

RE: Down to the wire now..... Sep 8, 2012 4:42pm

My last day as a "P"..........so I wish you all well........and may return one day, if things recover a bit!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts