5 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Lens Flares 
ccp

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: South East
Views : 2253  Sep 21, 2012 5:16pm

Which filter is it to stop lens flares. Sorry, I should know this by now.

Send Nm Mail to ccp Add ccp to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
silksky

Photographer
City: Hemel Hempstead
RE: Lens Flares Sep 21, 2012 6:22pm

I thought it is often a filter causing the lens flare, a lens hood and no filter is the best bet, even indoors in the studio.

Send Nm Mail to silksky Add silksky to your favorites list
CSD_Images

Photographer
City: Aberdeen
RE: Lens Flares Sep 22, 2012 1:21am

It's called a hood, the front elements of a lens is coated and interior elements are designed to minimise lens flares. The hood stops any peripheral light entering the lens.

Send Nm Mail to CSD_Images Add CSD_Images to your favorites list
ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 22, 2012 5:07am

Thanks to both of you for those answers. That's what I thought, I bought the biggest hood I could find, and always use it. When I use my studio flashes I get a bright spot in the middle of the images. I assume it's flare. It normally happens when I use two lights for a white background, and two lights in front of the model.

I have tried turning off each light to see which one is causing it, but that doesn't work. I'll have to spend a day experimenting, to figure it out. Anyway, thanks again.

CSD_Images

Photographer
City: Aberdeen
RE: Lens Flares Sep 22, 2012 7:41am

If you're in a small studio you might be experiencing bounce back, you'll need to flag the lights and or move them closer to the background to reduce the light (inverse square law).

Send Nm Mail to CSD_Images Add CSD_Images to your favorites list
 doctorontop

Photographer
City: La Condamine
RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 5:20am

As others have said a lens hood and /or flagging. However you can also get great results by just using your hand in place of a hood. By changing the position of your hand and/or opening up your fingers, combined with a bit of practice, you can introduce controlled flare, on the hoof into your images.

Send Nm Mail to doctorontop Add doctorontop to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by doctorontop at 09-23-2012 5:26 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
MattMiller

Photographer
City: Southend on Sea
RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 5:43am

quoting post from  doctorontop:

However you can also get great results by just using your hand in place of a hood. By changing the position of your hand and/or opening up your fingers, combined with a bit of practice, you can introduce controlled flare, on the hoof into your images.

I always just use my free hand, you get way more control that way ... i cant use a lens hood because i never crop my images: at some focal lengths the hood can creep into the edge of the image.

Send Nm Mail to MattMiller Add MattMiller to your favorites list
Andy_B

Photographer
City: London
RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 5:49am

quoting post from ccp:

Thanks to both of you for those answers. That's what I thought, I bought the biggest hood I could find, and always use it. When I use my studio flashes I get a bright spot in the middle of the images. I assume it's flare. It normally happens when I use two lights for a white background, and two lights in front of the model.

I have tried turning off each light to see which one is causing it, but that doesn't work. I'll have to spend a day experimenting, to figure it out. Anyway, thanks again.

Are you using a reflective background?

You need to move your lights more to the side, to change the angle they're hitting the backdrop at and stop the reflection.

Read "light: science and magic" to understand the "family of angles" concept.

Send Nm Mail to Andy_B Add Andy_B to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 6:34am

The biggest lens hood will not necessarily do it. The correct hood for the lens in use will do better. As said flagging with your hand will do a better job but better still is a piece of cardboard held in your hand or a flag device mounted on the hot shoe.You will need to reposition the flag every time you move the lens.

You will get better results with a fixed lens rather than a zoom as then the match between hood and lens will be consistent.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 7:19am

quoting post from CSD_Images:

If you're in a small studio you might be experiencing bounce back, you'll need to flag the lights and or move them closer to the background to reduce the light (inverse square law).

Ahh I will try that, thanks.

ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 7:22am

quoting post from  Razoir:

The biggest lens hood will not necessarily do it. The correct hood for the lens in use will do better. As said flagging with your hand will do a better job but better still is a piece of cardboard held in your hand or a flag device mounted on the hot shoe.You will need to reposition the flag every time you move the lens.

You will get better results with a fixed lens rather than a zoom as then the match between hood and lens will be consistent.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Thanks, I use a Nikon 50mm 1.4. I do use barn doors on my background lighting, but I think it maybe too bright.

ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 7:24am

quoting post from Andy_B:

Are you using a reflective background?

You need to move your lights more to the side, to change the angle they're hitting the backdrop at and stop the reflection.

Read "light: science and magic" to understand the "family of angles" concept.

No, just a white sheet. It's so small here, I'm limited for space, but I'll try it if I can get them any wider. Thanks.

ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 7:28am

Thanks Matt and John, I never thought of using my hand, I'll try it.

Knockout

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: Lens Flares Sep 23, 2012 10:05am

I've had trouble with Nikon 50mm lenses doing exactly this. Can you try another lens - a zoom or a 60mm? It is a known fault.

Send Nm Mail to Knockout Add Knockout to your favorites list
GeoffM

Photographer
City: Euxton, Chorley
RE: Lens Flares Sep 24, 2012 5:16am

I'm a bit late to this party, and this is a bit obvious, but have you checked for dust/finger prints/other marks on both ends of your lens?

Geoff
Gproductions

Send Nm Mail to GeoffM Add GeoffM to your favorites list
ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 24, 2012 8:03am

quoting post from GeoffM:

I'm a bit late to this party, and this is a bit obvious, but have you checked for dust/finger prints/other marks on both ends of your lens?

Geoff
Gproductions

I always have a clean before a shoot. Maybe I should check more carefully.

ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 24, 2012 8:05am

quoting post from Knockout:

I've had trouble with Nikon 50mm lenses doing exactly this. Can you try another lens - a zoom or a 60mm? It is a known fault.

I haven't got another lens. I am thinking of buying a 35mm though. Mine always takes me in too close, for the small areas I use to shoot in. Thanks.

Knockout

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: Lens Flares Sep 24, 2012 5:42pm

Another solution might be to reduce the power of the lights and shoot at f/8 or wider. I had a quick google of "hot spot Nikon 50mm" and started reading and it seems to be a problem mostly at the smaller aperture settings.

If you are considering another lens, I would try and borrow an 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 zoom and see how you get on. They are available used for about what I would expect to pay for a 35mm and they work surprisingly well. I have owned two before both good but one was very good in my opinion and you should not have the hot spot issue with this.

I hear good things about the new(ish) 35mm f/1.8 and if I came back to DX I would probably get one. There are issues with the older 35mm f2.0 - oil making aperture blades sticky so be careful if you are looking for one of these.

I quite like buying used lenses from my local London Camera Exchange - they are quite happy to accept it back within a short period if I have made the wrong choice.

I hope that all helps; good luck.

Send Nm Mail to Knockout Add Knockout to your favorites list
ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 27, 2012 9:15am

quoting post from Knockout:

Another solution might be to reduce the power of the lights and shoot at f/8 or wider. I had a quick google of "hot spot Nikon 50mm" and started reading and it seems to be a problem mostly at the smaller aperture settings.

If you are considering another lens, I would try and borrow an 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 zoom and see how you get on. They are available used for about what I would expect to pay for a 35mm and they work surprisingly well. I have owned two before both good but one was very good in my opinion and you should not have the hot spot issue with this.

I hear good things about the new(ish) 35mm f/1.8 and if I came back to DX I would probably get one. There are issues with the older 35mm f2.0 - oil making aperture blades sticky so be careful if you are looking for one of these.

I quite like buying used lenses from my local London Camera Exchange - they are quite happy to accept it back within a short period if I have made the wrong choice.

I hope that all helps; good luck.

I used to have the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, I actually sold it to buy the 50mm. Yes I will try and reduce the power for the background lights. I'm not too sure I'll be doing another white background set for a little while, but will post the conclusion here, if the answer is found. I've never been keen on the idea of secondhand lenses myself. I'd get a dodgy one for sure. Thanks.

Chris.

Crippen

Photographer
City: Sheffield
RE: Lens Flares Sep 27, 2012 2:24pm

Chris,

If you're using a DSLR that shoots video, then chances are, there's a Matte Box out there that will fit your camera.

Dave

Send Nm Mail to Crippen Add Crippen to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Crippen at 09-27-2012 2:24 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
ccp

RE: Lens Flares Sep 30, 2012 7:14am

quoting post from Crippen:

Chris,

If you're using a DSLR that shoots video, then chances are, there's a Matte Box out there that will fit your camera.

Dave

Looks very impressive, I bet it costs as much as my camera.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts