3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : LENS needed to replace kit lens 
Bun

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bracknell
Views : 1947  Oct 14, 2012 8:53am

My 400D is getting on a bit now, but with good glass it still creates really nice images.

Up until now I've been using the Kit lens where I need the range it produces (18-55), and then I have a Canon 60mm F2.8 macro and a Sigma 70-300 for the "further away stuff".

What I really need to do is replicate the quality and sharpness of the 60mm with more range.

I did hire this lens: http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f28-is-usm-36-p.asp last year for a wedding and LOVED it. It has gone down to about £560 online, but that's still out of my budget for buying. Probably.

Any ideas of what I can buy to replace my sad old kit lens (very well used, but soft as marshmallows). Preferably around the £300 mark....?

Also, have a picture.

Send Nm Mail to Bun Add Bun to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Bun

And having found it kindof in price range, would you buy from "Olimpic Cameras" who could be anyone.... ?

http://www.olimpic-cameras.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=148949¤cy=GBP&language=en

RedChecker

Photographer
City: Stoke Mandeville

You have several compunded problems here... crop cameras have (usually) much higher pixel density than full-frame bodies (which the 'better' lenses are designed for) and as a result you have to get either a full frame lens that is astonishingly sharp (expensive, like the 24-70 f2.8 L II) or one that is optimised for a crop body (like the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 you mention, which I've heard MANY good things about). Sadly both are out of your grasp financially.

Another problem is that as a result of the higher pixel density (especially on consumer bodies, they (manufacturers) have to strengthen the AA filter over the sensor which inherently makes lenses look artificially soft.

It isn't what you want to hear but unfortunately the only way around this to go to the next step in your search for quality is to throw LOTS of money at it (ideally going full-frame and investing in full-frame lenses). As someone who owns two 400D bodies (among others) and various lenses ranging from EF-S and L series lenses, I have found that is the way to go.

Also bear in mind that the 60mm lens you have is purported to be the sharpest lens in Canon's lineup for crop bodies so you're going to have one hell of a job to match it.

Send Nm Mail to RedChecker Add RedChecker to your favorites list
Photoimager10

Photographer
City: =

Bun, just entered their post code and it can up with a unit to let on google maps. But this may just be an out of date image. Have you looked at Wex yet.

Send Nm Mail to Photoimager10 Add Photoimager10 to your favorites list
Bun

quoting post from RedChecker:

You have several compunded problems here... crop cameras have (usually) much higher pixel density than full-frame bodies (which the 'better' lenses are designed for) and as a result you have to get either a full frame lens that is astonishingly sharp (expensive, like the 24-70 f2.8 L II) or one that is optimised for a crop body (like the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 you mention, which I've heard MANY good things about). Sadly both are out of your grasp financially.

Another problem is that as a result of the higher pixel density (especially on consumer bodies, they (manufacturers) have to strengthen the AA filter over the sensor which inherently makes lenses look artificially soft.

It isn't what you want to hear but unfortunately the only way around this to go to the next step in your search for quality is to throw LOTS of money at it (ideally going full-frame and investing in full-frame lenses). As someone who owns two 400D bodies (among others) and various lenses ranging from EF-S and L series lenses, I have found that is the way to go.

Also bear in mind that the 60mm lens you have is purported to be the sharpest lens in Canon's lineup for crop bodies so you're going to have one hell of a job to match it.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is not that I don't want to throw money at it, just that I'm not in the same market financially as most people on here and simply do not have the money, no getting around that.

jrdphotography

Photographer
City: Great Yarmouth

This Site will generally find Your best Prices ... Good Luck

http://camerapricebuster.com/

Send Nm Mail to jrdphotography Add jrdphotography to your favorites list
Canonpics

Photographer
City: Wells
RE: LENS needed to replace kit lens Oct 14, 2012 12:28pm

Two more PM messages from me (cheap-and-cheerful dept).

Canonpics

Send Nm Mail to Canonpics Add Canonpics to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Canonpics at 10-14-2012 12:28 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Bun

cheers!

Bun

I like the range of the 17-55, so does that mean my choices are:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM (£700 plus) under 600 from hongkong on ebay
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - £570
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC - £345

??

Canonpics

Photographer
City: Wells

Independent reviews say "Tamron" - ESPECIALLY considering the price!

Canonpics

Send Nm Mail to Canonpics Add Canonpics to your favorites list
Bun

Good to know- I have a Tamron lens that a friend gave me and it's rubbish!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts