Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Canon upgrade 
DavidEvans

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Newtown
Views : 2014  Nov 10, 2012 6:38am

Hello guys,

I'm looking at upgrading.

ATM I have a basic Canon 350D, biut since people have been very complimentary on what I've done I'm going to splash the cash and get something superior.

I've been looking at a 5D but then between the cost a 7D looks very comparable. I'm sticking to Canon as I have a fair few lens's now.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks Dave

Send Nm Mail to DavidEvans Add DavidEvans to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
dunstaffnage

Photographer
City: Bristol
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 6:52am

I have been using a 5d mkii for just over 3 years. Have just invested in the mkiii - it is far better. The focus system in the mkii is poor. The 7d is better in this respect but is not full format. You should consider if your existing lenses will work with full format- if they won't you will be better with the 7d.

Send Nm Mail to dunstaffnage Add dunstaffnage to your favorites list
DavidEvans

RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 7:05am

Thanks, that helps me.

dunstaffnage

Photographer
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 7:35am

Final thought from me is that neither 5ds have internal flash. If you don't already own an external unit it will add cost.
Mark

silksky

Photographer
City: Hemel Hempstead
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 7:47am

I had the 450D but the 7D came out soon after and I wanted one but the price was out of my reach but I really liked the extra features. When the 60D came out, it had all the features of the 7D that I wanted. It has the resolution and the weatherproofing of the 7D but not the all metal construction which makes it lighter. I was able to buy a 10-22mm lens with the difference in price.

Send Nm Mail to silksky Add silksky to your favorites list
DavidEvans

RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 8:03am

Yes, I see the the 60D has the same resolution as the 7d, a better resolution is what i'm after primarily, so that could be the forward and its obvioult cheaper too.

Canonpics

Photographer
City: Wells
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 8:57am

PM sent

Canonpics

Send Nm Mail to Canonpics Add Canonpics to your favorites list
Sandpiper

Photographer
City: Southport
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 10:20am

Coming from a 350D, which is what? 7 years old now, you will find any camera in the lineup a significant upgrade in terms of features. Just be aware which features you need and which you don't and choose accordingly.

I too have just dragged myself into the latest tech (adding a 5D mk III to my aging 40D and original 5D) and there are some great advances to take advantage of.

Full frame is very nice and is ideal for working with models, however you don't need the cutting edge AF system and faster frame rate of the 5D III for such work. Have you looked at the new 6D due out next month? It has FF and a very tempting spec at a much lower price than the 5D III.

It is very hard to suggest a camera though, without knowing what you want to do with it. I shoot mainly wildlife, birds and sport so the 5D III was the natural body for me to upgrade to, but if I was primarily portraits, models, landscapes etc., the 6D would be ideal.

Consider what you want to use the new body for, and draw up a list of features that you consider essential / desirable, then see which body meets your needs at the best price.

Send Nm Mail to Sandpiper Add Sandpiper to your favorites list
DavidEvans

RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 10:24am

I've weighed up spec's and prices for what I want and 've settled for a 60D

dunstaffnage

Photographer
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 11:04am

Final thought Hdewcameras were selling the 7d at about £800. Grey import. I have bought quite a lot from them and had no problems.

DavidEvans

RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 11:29am

I've got it for a smidge under £500, as for the fold out screen? well we'll see what happens with my sausage fingers.

Sandpiper

Photographer
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 11:46am

quoting post from DavidEvans:

I've got it for a smidge under £500, as for the fold out screen? well we'll see what happens with my sausage fingers.

That's a very good price, I assume it is a grey import. Did you check the supplier out carefully?

I'm not saying that there is a problem, Hdew are doing them at £509 and providing their own warranty and I would trust them (I got my 5D III from them). However, some companies doing grey imports are less reputable or the cameras are sent from abroad, which can add to the cost if you get hit for import duties. In addition, should there be a problem, it costs an arm and a leg to send them back.

Assuming you are buying from a good, UK based, company then you have got yourself a very good deal there, and you should be very happy with your new camera.

DavidEvans

RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 12:24pm

Went for a bit of a package deal, so I got a 50mm f1.8 and a few memory cards for 590 in the end. I got it from Digitalrev, Ive used them before. Uk not import.

Now I have 2 of those lens, one brand new and other I'll sell with my old camera so its a more appealing package, when i sell some of my old equipment too, I should have only paid around 200 for it, so its been a good days work all round.

Sandpiper

Photographer
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 12:45pm

quoting post from DavidEvans:

Went for a bit of a package deal, so I got a 50mm f1.8 and a few memory cards for 590 in the end. I got it from Digitalrev, Ive used them before. Uk not import.

Now I have 2 of those lens, one brand new and other I'll sell with my old camera so its a more appealing package, when i sell some of my old equipment too, I should have only paid around 200 for it, so its been a good days work all round.

Yeah, reputable company, no problem there. Particularly if you are getting the camera through the UK office, rather than sent from Hong Kong.

ajc07977

Photographer
City: Ipswich
RE: Canon upgrade Nov 10, 2012 3:31pm

I've had the 60D for 2 years now - it's a fantastic camera (and a fab 'spiritual upgrade' form my 20D).

I have shot with a couple of 1D MkIIN bodies since 2007 (which are still great) ... but there are many many reasons why the lighter body, higher MP count and superb right-thumb-centric ergonomics, all add up to make it a 'more used' + 'taken with me' camera.

DO NOT UNDER-ESTIMATE how excellent and useful the fully rotating screen can be in many odd (or mundane) shooting scenarios - both for stills and video. I knew I would love this feature from when I use a Powershot G5.

The screen is NOT AT ALL fragile + you would have to be a really clumsy twerp to damage it. Having said that I am not a 'bash it about for the sake of it' kinda guy (I have met this types + sadly many of them do not own 1D-type bodies that 'take it' better).

Send Nm Mail to ajc07977 Add ajc07977 to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts