alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
4 members online. 
1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Lens desicion - repair or replace? 
crippsy_99

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Cardiff
Views : 1672  Nov 11, 2012 12:28pm

While away at an event at the beginning of November, my Canon 75-300mm lens has decided to sort of pack up and put itself into retirement..I have tested it since that weekend, both inside and outside, and have the same problem still, yet at a previous event 2 weeks earlier, it had performed excellently.

Basically, it wont focus anymore at low f numbers..lower are pretty much useless, then the larger ones tend to get better, though have to set the shutter speed way down to counteract..for indoors which I mostly use for, no use whatsoever.
Heres a couple of photos I took this afternoon, in the daylight.
f5.6, 1/200, ISO-400
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F8AF41D2743926D8!274&authkey=!ALGBlR_ndLrg_FU
f16, 1/80, ISO-1000
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F8AF41D2743926D8!275&authkey=!AEzb0hT6KBP5nso

So..seems ive got two choices..
I can either take the lens into a camera shop and have it sent off for repair..im expecting £150-200 for that as think my last lens was about that to repair last year.

Or I can buy a new one..
A canon 70-300mm IS USM is £375 from warehouse express which is pretty much double the price of a repair, but its much newer, a marked improvement apparently on my model, would be a new lens as opposed to 2nd hand which my current lens was when I got it 4 and a half years ago, and is a brand I trust.
Or, ive seen a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD Lens for £290 in the local camera shop. However, never used another make of lens so wary about getting this, but £85 saving is quite a bit..
Also seen a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG OS Lens for Canon EF, for £320, but heard bad things about Sigma lens'.

Any opinions?

Send Nm Mail to crippsy_99 Add crippsy_99 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Aat

Photographer
City: Aldershot

What's actually wrong with the lens? The f/16 image is nice & sharp, but the f/5.6 image is blurry everywhere. It's not simply a matter of being focussed on the wrong plane, else we'd see a nice sharp bit of ground either in front of or behind the number plate.

Of course, I am assuming that you did "best endeavours" in focussing on that part of the picture, rather than simply "auto and hope".

What about focussing manually - any better/worse?

Send Nm Mail to Aat Add Aat to your favorites list
crippsy_99

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Cardiff

quoting post from Aat:

What's actually wrong with the lens? The f/16 image is nice & sharp, but the f/5.6 image is blurry everywhere.

Thats exactly what the problem is!
f/16 is all good and well for outside, but when im inside a big, darkish hall, I need the wider aperture otherwise I need to bring the shutter speed down way too slowly to be of any use. And with that, you can see the results.

Focusing manually has no effect whatsoever..still exactly the same blurred image.

Send Nm Mail to crippsy_99 Add crippsy_99 to your favorites list
Canonpics

Photographer
City: Wells

PM sent.

Canonpics

Send Nm Mail to Canonpics Add Canonpics to your favorites list
DMGPhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon

What focal length were you using and do you use a UV filter? I recently got a new superzoom, the Tamron 28-300mm for Nikon, used it on my F6 to test it out with just a polariser on it. Found it didn't quite focus properly at the 300mm end, it wasn't quite in focus in the viewfinder and the prints I got later. Before I got that lens, I'd used a 28-200mm superzoom and didn't have problems like that at the 200mm end. Thought it was the lens, but when I tried it again a couple of days later at the same location (top of Parliament Hill), only that time with a UV filter, found that it focussed properly and very well. I did have the aperture wide open at f5.6 both times as well.

Send Nm Mail to DMGPhotography Add DMGPhotography to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts