alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
4 members online. 
4 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! 
ccp

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: South East
Views : 3700  Nov 30, 2012 5:52am

I can't understand why, but my D300s is shooting RAW files in only about 160 pixels across, even though the file size file is still about 19MB on each image. It's shooting in L Fine as normal, which is a slight relief. I've tried shooting in both Large/Fine as well as RAW, and also just RAW on it's own, but still the RAW files are only about 160 pixels across in size when I get the on my pc.

Anyone know what's going wrong? I have a 4 hour shoot this afternoon, I may have to shoot in JPG.

Chris.

Send Nm Mail to ccp Add ccp to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Colin

Photographer
City: Ruislip
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:06am

Have you tried reseting the camera to 'default' settings to see if this clears the 'fault'?

Send Nm Mail to Colin Add Colin to your favorites list
ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:08am

quoting post from Colin:

Have you tried reseting the camera to 'default' settings to see if this clears the 'fault'?

No, I'll try that, back in 5.

ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:19am

quoting post from Colin:

Can't find it on the menu. How do I do it?

Colin

Photographer
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:25am

On mY Nikon D600 it is a 2 button reset
the ISO button and the +/- button (top by shutter release)

ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:30am

quoting post from Colin:

On mY Nikon D600 it is a 2 button reset
the ISO button and the +/- button (top by shutter release)

Thanks, looked in the manual, on the D300s it the Qual and +/- buttons, but no change, it's still like it.

ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:34am

Thanks for your help Colin, I'm going to have to shoot in JPG, running out of time.

Cheers,

Chris.

Colin

Photographer
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 6:34am

Are you opening the files in Adobe Photoshop?
Are you viewing them in Bridge and you are just seeing 'small' thumbnails somehow (clear the cashe might help that)?

Leigh_Perkins

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 7:37am

As Colin says, are you opening them up in Bridge or Photoshop? If not what application are you viewing these files. Without wanting to sound simplistic, 160px sounds very much like a standard thumbnail size but to create 160px wide image that is 19mb is a pretty impressive feat:-)

A 160px x 240px image at 300dpi is at best going be around 120k certainly not 19mb.

Are you sure you're opening the RAW (NEF's I assume) in an application that is capable of dealing with NEF files.

If you're still having trouble after checking this then feel free to drop me a line or send me one of the troublesome files and I'll see if I can shed more light onto it.

Good luck

Leigh

Send Nm Mail to Leigh_Perkins Add Leigh_Perkins to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
City: Paignton
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 8:43am

When you shoot in RAW, the camera displlays a small jpg version on the camera display screen.
When you download from the camera, I am wondering if it is at all possible, that you are downloading the temporary little jpg files that are associated with the RAW for camera display only.
Check, when downloading, you are getting the images from the right directory in the camera's card

These are not to be confused with the full jpg files you get if you shoot in jpg or RAW AND jpg

Just a thought, 160 px is tiny

Send Nm Mail to mattharper Add mattharper to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by mattharper at 11-30-2012 8:44 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Kenp

Photographer
City: Weymouth/Portland DT3
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 8:55am

quoting post from mattharper:

When you shoot in RAW, the camera displlays a small jpg version on the camera display screen.
When you download from the camera, I am wondering if it is at all possible, that you are downloading the temporary little jpg files that are associated with the RAW for camera display only.
Check, when downloading, you are getting the images from the right directory in the camera's card

These are not to be confused with the full jpg files you get if you shoot in jpg or RAW AND jpg

Just a thought, 160 px is tiny

The jpg that is used for the camera display screen is not a separate temp file but embedded in the RAW file.

Send Nm Mail to Kenp Add Kenp to your favorites list
mattharper

Photographer
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 9:40am

quoting post from Kenp:

The jpg that is used for the camera display screen is not a separate temp file but embedded in the RAW file.

OK, i was having an educated guess, but I guess the education failed miserably. Where the hell is he getting a 160 px image from then?

mattharper

Photographer
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Nov 30, 2012 9:49am

Are they actually 160 px

OR

160 px per INCH

Read this

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/NikD300B.html

ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Dec 1, 2012 10:20am

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the ideas and answers. At the moment I'm viewing the files on a pc operating with Linux not Windows. My laptop with Windows is not working, and my other PC with Windows has Windows 98 so won't work with my D300s Nikon software. But, I've used my PC with Linux to open my NEF RAW files in the past and I've had no problem, which is why I thought it must be something to do with the camera rather than my PC. I don't use Adobe.

At the moment, I can't edit from the RAW files from the D300s because my Nikon Capture is the old one from when I bought my D70, I just save the NEFs for a later date when I get a new computer. My old Nikon Capture is what I use to edit the jps, then do the rest in Micrografx. It just baffles me why all of a sudden my pc with Linux is not opening the RAW files as normal like it did before. I'll have to just try different things suggested on here to see what happens. I'll let you know when I figure it out. I do have Photoshop on my other old pc, I'll see what happens using that.

Thanks.

Chris.

ccp

RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Dec 1, 2012 10:29am

quoting post from mattharper:

Are they actually 160 px

OR

160 px per INCH

Read this

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/NikD300B.html

No not per inch, the image is tiny. Thanks for the link, reading it now.

RieniO

Photographer
City: Auxerre
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Dec 1, 2012 10:54am

You're definitely shooting in native RAW because a 160 px jpeg can never be 19MB big. It's what's the others say, you're getting to see the preview thumbnail.
Also I can recommend Lightroom 3 or 4 for working with your RAW files, then whatever camera you shoot with, you can keep everything in one large catalog and view with one program.

Send Nm Mail to RieniO Add RieniO to your favorites list
Photoimager10

Photographer
City: =
RE: RAW File problem, PLEASE HELP! Dec 1, 2012 11:36am

Why not reload Capture and see if anything changes.

Send Nm Mail to Photoimager10 Add Photoimager10 to your favorites list
 driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

quoting post from ccp:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the ideas and answers. At the moment I'm viewing the files on a pc operating with Linux not Windows. My laptop with Windows is not working, and my other PC with Windows has Windows 98 so won't work with my D300s Nikon software. But, I've used my PC with Linux to open my NEF RAW files in the past and I've had no problem, which is why I thought it must be something to do with the camera rather than my PC. I don't use Adobe.

At the moment, I can't edit from the RAW files from the D300s because my Nikon Capture is the old one from when I bought my D70, I just save the NEFs for a later date when I get a new computer. My old Nikon Capture is what I use to edit the jps, then do the rest in Micrografx. It just baffles me why all of a sudden my pc with Linux is not opening the RAW files as normal like it did before. I'll have to just try different things suggested on here to see what happens. I'll let you know when I figure it out. I do have Photoshop on my other old pc, I'll see what happens using that.

Thanks.

Chris.

I am confused by this.
If you can't edit your raw files because your version of nikon Capture won't open them, then what software are you using to open the raw files that is showing you they are 160 pixels wide?

You say you are using your old version of capture to edit the jpegs, so are you shooting in raw plus jpeg? If so, what quality JPG is your camera set to capture?

Kevin (Driftwood, Dirftwood, Daftwood ................. whatever ! )

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
ccp

quoting post from  driftwood:

I am confused by this.
If you can't edit your raw files because your version of nikon Capture won't open them, then what software are you using to open the raw files that is showing you they are 160 pixels wide?

You say you are using your old version of capture to edit the jpegs, so are you shooting in raw plus jpeg? If so, what quality JPG is your camera set to capture?

Yes I can see how this is confusing. The jpgs I edit in Capture are Large, Fine. When I used my old D70 I used the RAW, but since I bought the D300s I keep the RAW files in case I need them, and edit from the JPGs. I open RAW files in 'eye of GNOME' image viewer which is on my pc operating with Linux.

Because Linux is not Windows, I can't use my Nikon software on the Linux system, I've tried getting the software on it, but it just won't have it., I actually hate Linux, but my brother put it on my pc because he thinks it's better than Windows. Until I buy a new pc, I'm stuck using Linux. I don't have a Windows disc y'see. But anyway, it was opening the RAW files in GNOME ok until now.

Another thing I forgot to say. Now I've reset the camera to it's default settings, I'll have to try it, but where I used to shoot in both RAW and JPEG Large/Fine, it started to record two JPGs exactly the same, instead of one RAW, and one JPG. I had to start shooting in RAW, then converting to JPG, to get both.

By the way, the old version of Capture is on my old pc, which I use to edit the JPGs.

driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

Don't think there is anything wrong with your camera or your raw files.
I don't think your software is capable of reading the full raw format.

Take a look here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/eog-list/2011-February/msg00004.html

If you have a pc with a windows os on it then it might be possible to download the Nikon Raw Codec which will allow windows to preview your raw files and probably display the actual file size for you. It still won't let you open them for editing though. This depends on which version of windows your old pc is running, so let me know which windows version you have and I will see what I can find out.

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
photoclassic

Photographer
City: Aberdeen

I don't use Nikon Capture but if it requires you to buy a new version to work on the RAW files, my guess is it is only letting you play with the embedded jpeg, which is why your RAW files are still full-sized.

Send Nm Mail to photoclassic Add photoclassic to your favorites list
Knockout

Photographer
City: Southampton

Nikon RAW files (NEFs ) only come from the camera full sized. There is no smaller version (or it would no longer be "raw") I suspect you are working on embedded jpegs but that is only a guess.

A trial version of Lightroom should be able to cope at no cost.

Good luck.

Send Nm Mail to Knockout Add Knockout to your favorites list
Double13

Photographer
City: Kingham

Hey Man

I have been using Linux with no problems processing NEF files from my D100 and newly acquired D3200 (24Mpixels).

I use UFRAW to read the images into GIMP.

There are also plugins for FSpot and Shotwell. They all work fine. What software are you using?

You can also use Nikon View, Nikon Browser and Photoshop with the WINE software under Linux. It also works fine as far as I've tested it, but I prefer to use Gimp.

It sounds like you are having problems with the conversion - the NEF files on the camera may well be okay - given the size of the image files.

Krs

13arry 13arker / Double13

Send Nm Mail to Double13 Add Double13 to your favorites list
ccp

quoting post from photoclassic:

I don't use Nikon Capture but if it requires you to buy a new version to work on the RAW files, my guess is it is only letting you play with the embedded jpeg, which is why your RAW files are still full-sized.

Yes the Capture is the old one for my D70. But it is ok to use with my D300s jpg images. I haven't bought a new version because I'm waiting to get a new computer first. I'm not working on the embedded JPGs, they're too small to do anything with.

But it is a shame I didn't shoot in RAW the other day, the shoot was a really great one.

ccp

quoting post from  driftwood:

Don't think there is anything wrong with your camera or your raw files.
I don't think your software is capable of reading the full raw format.

Take a look here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/eog-list/2011-February/msg00004.html

If you have a pc with a windows os on it then it might be possible to download the Nikon Raw Codec which will allow windows to preview your raw files and probably display the actual file size for you. It still won't let you open them for editing though. This depends on which version of windows your old pc is running, so let me know which windows version you have and I will see what I can find out.

My old pc is running 98se. It won't work with a lot of the latest software now, or even connect to the net anymore. But what's changed with the my gnome? It did open the RAW files fine not long ago. That's the thing. Thanks for the link.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts