4 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Painting With Light 
 Ace

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Reading
Views : 1754  Dec 3, 2012 1:14pm

Last night I posted this image in the BPOTD competition just in case we didn't make the numbers. I have had several mails about it so thought I would share it with you here.

We were having a go at light painting using various torches as our light source.

The shot is not aesthetic at all but was as far as we could get from light pollution and with a number of objects to be lit so that we could experiment with different torches and methods. We intended doing a car in the Summer but we never got an evening together when it wasn't raining and then my Godson's dreaded A levels were on us an play stopped.

We did this a series of 10 second sweeps which helped us get a rhythm and consequently an evenness to the exposures. You don't have to did it that way but it saves a lot of levels adjustments in Photoshop. By keeping each exposure to 10 seconds, we also kept the light pollution down on each exposure.

We then took all of the different exposures (30 to 40) and put them in a new image, each as a separate layer setting the blend mode to Lighten so that the lighter parts of each exposure came through. After that there were a few adjustments to levels on the odd layer and some bits blocked out by masks.

If you have a go at this, you will need a tripod and tie it to something because it so easy to knock it over in the dark. We will give it another go when the weather gets better and will try it with a model and a car or aircraft.

It's great fun and if you are interested, have a look at the master Eric Curry.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Aychee

Photographer
City: Cradley Heath / Halesowen
RE: Painting With Light Dec 3, 2012 2:14pm

Really interested in this technique and will definitely be going to have a play when the evenings get warmer

Thanks for posting it Ace

Send Nm Mail to Aychee Add Aychee to your favorites list
Petesky

Photographer
City: Portsmouth
RE: Painting With Light Dec 3, 2012 5:46pm

Great attempt, and great informative video!!! :-)

Send Nm Mail to Petesky Add Petesky to your favorites list
RedChecker

Photographer
City: Stoke Mandeville
RE: Painting With Light Dec 4, 2012 2:36am

A few years ago all of the camera club members in some town in Spain (I think) all got together and coordinated a shoot with a large format camera on a neighboring hilltop where all the club members ran around the town flashing their speedlites down the streets. The result was quite spectacular.

I've already had a look but if I can find the article I'll post it here.

On a side note, I believe this technique is used by scenes of crime photographers to take shadowless pictures of things like murder scenes/accident scenes.

Send Nm Mail to RedChecker Add RedChecker to your favorites list
RedChecker

Photographer
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by RedChecker at 12-04-2012 2:45 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Painting With Light Dec 4, 2012 7:12am

Thanks to Red Checker for posting that, it's a really good image, the longer, Spanish link has a lot more information and comes with an English translation and is worth a look.

I was amazed at the detail in some of the enlarged sections. So when are we all going to descend on Stoke Mandeville and light the town up?

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 12-04-2012 7:15 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
RedChecker

Photographer
RE: Painting With Light Dec 4, 2012 7:15am

Stoke Mandeville's a horrid place.

If I were to coordinate something like this, Ironbridge Gorge would be my choice as this sort of technique could probably work really well there and those with battery-powered studio flash could work on the bridge itself.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts