1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Eating disorders and modelling 
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
City: Bishops Stortford
Views : 1697  Dec 3, 2012 5:03pm

Okay, I may be out of line posting this but I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation.

I'm 21 and I'm not a slim girl. I'm a size 18 and I have the curves with it. I know models should be confident and love their body; I do not. I can pretend I do, I'm a world class actress as I'm sure many others are.

Since around seven years ago I've had an eating disorder, really it was when I hit puberty. I make myself sick, I restrict my intake and I strave myself on a regular basis.

When my other half and I discussed me modelling as a plus size, he asked if it would affect my Eating disorder, and I said no because the modelling world is changing and they're starting to need/want/require plus sizes. But I still feel too big even for plus size. I can feel it creeping back in, the over excersizing, weighing myself thrice daily.

So I'm wondering, does anyone else get this need to be slimmer even if they're being offered plenty of work - some even paid?

If you do, how do you resist the urge to never be satisfied? Does anyone follow a healthy eating plan (Not something that's 500 cals a day) Or an exerciser program to keep them in shape?

Send Nm Mail to Cupcake_Hearts Add Cupcake_Hearts to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Ian_Boys

Photographer
City: Manchester

I'm not a model but I can identify with this a lot. When I was 21 I felt very overweight and really wasn't. I never got the self-image sorted and now (at 43) I am seriously overweight to a point that I fear medical consequences (and to a point that affects life with my kids, energy levels etc).

I don't know what the answer is except that the best way to avoid further weight gain is to love yourself. And I don't have an easy answer there either, I'm afraid. What I do know is how important it is that you find an answer because it's far better you sort it at 21 than 41 or whatever.

As to the mechanics, the only answer is eat less / exercise more. But focus on not putting more on, rather than losing too much. And concentrate first on happiness, well-being and a lot of sleep.

Wishing you all the best,

ian

Send Nm Mail to Ian_Boys Add Ian_Boys to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model

Thanks Ian
I don't think there are any *easy* answers, or fixes. Loosing weight healthily is the better option, obviously. But at the moment, without therapy which scares the shite out of me, It's not possible.

Serenesunrise

Photographer
City: Ipswich

Hi,

It depends on the type of therapy, (what type scares you?)
Massage therapy can help people with eating disorders, and hopefully that doesn't scare you

Tim

"All the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools"
The Eagles

Send Nm Mail to Serenesunrise Add Serenesunrise to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model

Haha, no I'm fine with massage Why are you offering

It's the eating disorder clinic appointments that scare me. I'm scared they'll make me put on weight again.

Serenesunrise

Photographer
City: Ipswich

Glad to hear that you are OK with massage
Yes I am
If the appointments at the clinic scare you don't go, with the support of your partner and family you will tackle this disease.

Tim

"All the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools"
The Eagles

Send Nm Mail to Serenesunrise Add Serenesunrise to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model

All the supportive people in the world could not mentally prepare me for the...sharp shock of reality that therapy is.

xxxkellymxxx

Model
City: Harlow

Hun I can identify with you 100% on this......... I've had an eating disorder since I was 12. The only way I can stop my binge/purge habits is to eat as well as I possibly can and I run every night.
Don't get me wrong this is no cure but it does cut the bad times down as eating better will make you feel healthier and the endorphins from the runs will put you on a natural high. If you ever need a proper chat or support from someone that knows then just message me- I'm only in Harlow.

Kelly Maddison

Send Nm Mail to xxxkellymxxx Add xxxkellymxxx to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model

You're in harlow! That's amazing, we should grab coffee and have a natter at some point Thanks for your reply¬

xxxkellymxxx

Model
City: Harlow

Anytime hun...... I'll inbox you my number in a bit xx

Send Nm Mail to xxxkellymxxx Add xxxkellymxxx to your favorites list
Raven_Nyx

Model
City: Bristol
RE: Eating disorders and modelling Dec 4, 2012 10:04am

quoting post from Cupcake_Hearts:

So I'm wondering, does anyone else get this need to be slimmer even if they're being offered plenty of work - some even paid?

If you do, how do you resist the urge to never be satisfied? Does anyone follow a healthy eating plan (Not something that's 500 cals a day) Or an exerciser program to keep them in shape?

I did last year apply for a casting on one of my sites but got refused because I was a size 12-14. And got curves. Was told if I was two sizes smaller I'd have had it. I did then think about dieting at extreme lengths to lose weight I had almost started to. Then I thought about it again and though 'fuck you I'm curvy and I like the way I am' And the rest that I have had shoots with never mention my weight or anything its more me that gets bothered. I have nothing against skinny people but I do love curves and shape. Most models I'm fans of are curvier.

I do however follow a diet not for losing weight but for eating healthy. I eat chicken and bacon every other day and fish on the others. And I change the sauce each time so doesn't get boring. Plenty of green veg and new potatoes. I also wear a cincher to keep me in shape. (Hour glass) plus I few runs up my stairs and dancing helps too. Also helps me keel over and die for a few minutes It doesnt lose me weight just keeps me in shape and toned. I do however drink a lot of cola but like i said I'm not dieting.

People will sadly get knock backs for shoots because of their weight its a cruel world but best thing you can do is just put your head up high and think 'meh I can do better anyway' yes its a bit snobby but if you let anything get to you because of your size trust me you'll find yourself trying to get to a skinnier size for others and you'll get ill. You do what you feel comfy with and in this day and age more curvier people are wanted. I've seen a few one here and I admirer them I just seen your photo and you dont need to lose weight. From what I can see so far you look good to me. And if anyone tells you differently or knocks you back tell um to eeefff off.

I get plenty of work and I get plenty of cash for it (if not for fun) and I have a jelly belly

I agree also with what ian said too, love yourself and your well being dont put what others expect of you first you'll do well as yourself. you're a pretty lass.

I wish you all the best and no faddy diets or anything ok?! Or I'll come and feed you cookies :P

xx

Raisin cookies are why I have trust issues.

Send Nm Mail to Raven_Nyx Add Raven_Nyx to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: Eating disorders and modelling Dec 4, 2012 11:40am

Sadly the trend is (at the moment) to equate skinny with sexy. A lot of this comes from the selection of models by fashion houses & the media.

I shot a 16yo who was worried because she was a size 4/6 and thought that was too large.

Personally some of the sexiest women i've seen have been much curvier. Sexy & attractiveness is (in my opinion) largely about attitude & how you carry yourself.

So don't worry about what other people think. The only opinion that matters is your own.

If you do want to lose weight then don't do the fad diets just eat healthy and do a bit of exercise.

I had a medical problem a couple of years ago and wasn't allowed fat in my food for a month or so. I lived on skinless chicken breasts & fish with baked potatoes & salads. I created half a dozen marinades for the meats to stop them getting boring.

Even though the aim wasn't to lose weight I found I dropped nearly a stone in weight over that month just by cutting out fat and that was without increasing exercise.

Feel free to PM me for marinade recipes :-)

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
viola_elisabeth

Model
City: Liverpool
RE: Eating disorders and modelling Dec 4, 2012 12:55pm

quoting post from Cupcake_Hearts:

Okay, I may be out of line posting this but I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation.

I'm 21 and I'm not a slim girl. I'm a size 18 and I have the curves with it. I know models should be confident and love their body; I do not. I can pretend I do, I'm a world class actress as I'm sure many others are.

Since around seven years ago I've had an eating disorder, really it was when I hit puberty. I make myself sick, I restrict my intake and I strave myself on a regular basis.

When my other half and I discussed me modelling as a plus size, he asked if it would affect my Eating disorder, and I said no because the modelling world is changing and they're starting to need/want/require plus sizes. But I still feel too big even for plus size. I can feel it creeping back in, the over excersizing, weighing myself thrice daily.

Hi x
u are absolutely perfet!!!
Make some research on internet and u ll see what is the trend x
There s a Fb page called The Curvy Fashionista that shows what is real.
I was a size 20,never been busty and had huge cellulite problem but i usef to get loads of jobs. Then I started a diet and detox and. I m a 14 now but seems I m no more either a plus size or an agency standard.
My idea is choose a style i.e. pin up,alternative etc and build your image on what u are,not on what u think people want.
If I hade a real decent camera and we were closer I d shoot your portfolio.
Anyway start slowly with some Tf availabilities and once u have a portfolio start challenge yourself,go for paid works x and remember NEVER EVER give up on the first "Not suitable"
XXXX

Send Nm Mail to viola_elisabeth Add viola_elisabeth to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model

You guys are beautiful wonderful people thank you <3 Xx

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics