3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Question: Studio Mess Up 
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
City: Bishops Stortford
Views : 1803  Dec 8, 2012 4:00pm

Okay, so I'm not going to name names, so this might sound like a bit of a mission thread. Plus, sorry for so many threads ha!

I booked a portfolio shoot a while back before I was a member of this site, they in turn confirmed 9th. They then spoke to the studio they use, who emailed me an email with information but no date. Three documents which I were to print out in order to get my deposit back.

So obviously tonight I'm doing prep, getting the outfits ready, and I thought to print off the documents. My dad printed them off to me, and called downstairs. On the *studio's* confirmation letter which was attatched in the documents, it confirms the right time, but 8th (today's date).

Now, I know I did not confirm this date with the company, so it's their miscommunication with the studio? Am I right or...

I wouldn't be too worried, if I could politely explain, but if they think it's my fault, I'm out of 50+140 pounds (deposit and cancellation fee) So I'm skrewed.

Anyone any advice?

Send Nm Mail to Cupcake_Hearts Add Cupcake_Hearts to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Lynton

Photographer
City: Bournemouth
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 4:20pm

quoting post from Cupcake_Hearts:

Okay, so I'm not going to name names, so this might sound like a bit of a mission thread. Plus, sorry for so many threads ha!

I booked a portfolio shoot a while back before I was a member of this site, they in turn confirmed 9th. They then spoke to the studio they use, who emailed me an email with information but no date. Three documents which I were to print out in order to get my deposit back.

So obviously tonight I'm doing prep, getting the outfits ready, and I thought to print off the documents. My dad printed them off to me, and called downstairs. On the *studio's* confirmation letter which was attatched in the documents, it confirms the right time, but 8th (today's date).

Now, I know I did not confirm this date with the company, so it's their miscommunication with the studio? Am I right or...

I wouldn't be too worried, if I could politely explain, but if they think it's my fault, I'm out of 50+140 pounds (deposit and cancellation fee) So I'm skrewed.

Anyone any advice?

Do you have written (email/letter) confirmation of the 9th from the people you booked the shoot with? If so its their problem and you shouldn't lose out if they booked the studio for the wrong day. If you didn't get written confirmation it is their word against your word.
If it were me I'd phone the studio first thing and explain or if the shoot is early I'd go along at the correct time.
Wise after the event but it is always worth reading any communication from people you are doing business with.

www.lyntondi.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Lynton Add Lynton to your favorites list
 photodorset

Photographer
City: Bournemouth
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 4:33pm

I once had a shoot booked for a 1 hour slot in a studio. When I got there I was informed I was late and had missed my slot. I was sure I hadn't and luckily the next slot was going to be used by one of the organisers so he let me have his slot.

When I got home I checked and I was right!!

Sometimes people make mistakes, you just need to check with the original communications. You could always turn up tomorrow anyway, they may still think it's the 9th and may have just sent you the letter for today's model without changing it.

------------------------------------------------------
Never take anything I say too seriously!!

Send Nm Mail to photodorset Add photodorset to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 5:16pm

I tried phoning the direct line to the third party staff member who I dealt with, the switch board for the TP switch board, and the studio. Everyone wasn't answering.

I do have written confirmation for the ninth.

My dad is reluctant to pay out for travel for himself and me to london for a waste of time. As due to ''copyright laws'' anyone under 23 has to be accompanied by an adult or something like that.

I think my plan is, as I don't have to be at the location till 12, phone up as early as possible, confirm or sort out the whole stupidness. I'll have my bag packed so if I need to go, we can leave and still make it on time, if not it's just a long telephone call and a packed bag for no reason.

PhilGW

Photographer
City: Weston-super-Mare
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 5:21pm

Is your contract with the person you made the original booking with and did they take the booking fee from you. Which date was confirmed with them and do you have this in writing?

If you arrive on the said date and the studio has been booked incorrectly I cannot see how you can be at fault unless you yourself booked and paid the studio directly.

Send Nm Mail to PhilGW Add PhilGW to your favorites list
PhilGW

Photographer
City: Weston-super-Mare
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 5:26pm

I'm confused even further now, surely at 18+ you are an adult in UK law, where does copyright come into all of this?

Send Nm Mail to PhilGW Add PhilGW to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 8, 2012 5:39pm

Sorry, not copyright. Something to do with legal gaurdianship a parent must be present. Thing is, I've been married. It's rediculous. I don't understand it, I just go along with it because I wanted to do teh shoot but I have later found out they are a scam.

RobGolding

Photographer
City: Tewkesbury
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 9, 2012 6:33am

quoting post from Cupcake_Hearts:

Sorry, not copyright. Something to do with legal gaurdianship a parent must be present. Thing is, I've been married. It's rediculous. I don't understand it, I just go along with it because I wanted to do teh shoot but I have later found out they are a scam.

No, if you were under 18 you would need a parent/guardian, but not at 23, you are an adult and can make your own decisions.

Send Nm Mail to RobGolding Add RobGolding to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by RobGolding at 12-09-2012 6:34 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 9, 2012 6:35am

Thats what I thought.

Peter_Birch

Photographer
City: London
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 9, 2012 8:39am

Did the shoot happen in the end?

Send Nm Mail to Peter_Birch Add Peter_Birch to your favorites list
Cupcake_Hearts

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Dec 10, 2012 2:46pm

Nope, no idea whether they've taken the extra moeny out yet or not, have to check with other half later. xx

Solveman

Photographer
City: Basildon
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Feb 15, 2013 7:38pm

quoting post from RobGolding:

No, if you were under 18 you would need a parent/guardian, but not at 23, you are an adult and can make your own decisions.

Sounds like you need to work with a different tog. It seems as though he or the studio, or both, don't know what they are doing!

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
 Solveman

Photographer
City: Basildon
RE: Question: Studio Mess Up Feb 15, 2013 7:56pm

Do a search on here for a photographer with their own studio within a distance that you can comfortably travel and see if you can negotiate a tf, part tf or favourable rate to do a portfolio shoot. Any photographer with an empty slot would probably do a reduced rate rather than earn nothing. Explain your required levels and be prepared to be booked in on short notice as a cancellation shoot might be a great opportunity for you to get a good deal. Politely ask for a confirmation email of the booking and for a telephone number. Phone the photographer before hand. If the number is discontinued or a wrong number be suspicious. Don't be afraid to ask for directions to the studio if necessary. If you agree a tf or part tf shoot then be sure to ask how many edited pictures you will get before agreeing the shoot. Make sure that this is in the email. If you are attending a shoot by yourself with a photographer with whom you have never worked then make sure that someone knows the address and, if possible check for references beforehand. A new photographer may be light on references but don't let that discourage you. Everyone has to start somewhere and a new photographer building a folio would be more willing to negotiate. If possible, and if you are unsure, take a chaperone with you but tell the tog when booking that you intend to do this. If they object, don't book! Another trick that I have learned when going on a location shoot is to 'google walk' the location. This will enable you to orientate yourself for when you turn up and to make sure that the studio is just that and not a caravan in the middle of nowhere. However, if the studio is new then there may be no indication as google info may predate the studio. However, if it is a shop front or commercial unit then you should be ok. If google reveals a house then you can ask if it's a home studio. If so, ask what backdrops he has available, if he is using strobe or continuous lighting, are props available etc. This can usually tell you if the tog is serious or merely an amateur out for jollies. There are some great photographers on this site and I am sure that if any models in your area read this then they can recommend one. Just be sensible and be safe.

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Solveman at 02-15-2013 8:12 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts