2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : What do you think? Portrait shot 
 Solveman

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Basildon
Views : 2150  Dec 12, 2012 6:02pm

I'd appreciate your critique. A standard pose, I know...

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
mattharper

Photographer
City: Paignton

The other two are probably better.
If this is cropped as shot, take a bit off the top and a bit off the left as you look at it to centralise the subject and balance it a little more.
I would also prefer it if you took some of the colour out, at least the yellowness.
However, it is a nice pic of a lady who I am sure will be happy with it
The highlighting on the hair is perfect for me

Send Nm Mail to mattharper Add mattharper to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by mattharper at 12-12-2012 6:14 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Raven_Nyx

Model
City: Bristol

Wow you have a lovely smile

Raisin cookies are why I have trust issues.

http://www.facebook.com/GothiccFantasy?ref=hl

Send Nm Mail to Raven_Nyx Add Raven_Nyx to your favorites list
 Solveman

Fair comments, Matt, and I agree with you. The lady in question was absolutely chuffed with the results of the shoot. Said they were the best she had ever had done.

The reason for the yellow tint is that it was taken in my tv studio with parcan and fresnel lights. I used a gold reflector to throw light up and to give a warm feel. I now have photography lights ;-) Also, I had just got my first DSLR and had no idea how to white balance it. I do now. I do miss film. There is a certain quality to film that you don't get with a DSLR, don't you think?

Rich

mattharper

Photographer
City: Paignton

When I used film, it was just a hobby for me, on and off, so I really can't comment on the comparison.

Digital was slated in the early days, no comparison to film, but I am pretty sure that current digital technology has passed the point where people can still slate it. I do wonder at times, how many people would be able to tell a digital image from a film produced one.

I am sure she is chuffed. Most people who go to a photographer for photos will be happy with a well taken and well lit shot. Pleasing the warriors on here though, well, a whole different argument

Send Nm Mail to mattharper Add mattharper to your favorites list
Spike

Photographer
City: St Albans
RE: What do you think? Portrait shot Dec 14, 2012 10:07am

Aside from looking "Tangoed"
Good to use of a hair light, though may work even better If more behind the subject, less loss of detail in the shoulders.

Send Nm Mail to Spike Add Spike to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Spike at 12-14-2012 10:08 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Solveman

I think you are probably right, Matt. DSLRs now are superb, especially as they increase in megapixels. Even the little digital snappers and mobile phones are producing some great results. I think using the old SLRs was a simpler process when taking the pictures. I had a Ricoh KR5 in the early days which had a built in light meter. It was so simple to use and I got some great pics. Like you it was, and still is really, a hobby. I never learned to process my own film, however, so it got a bit expensive. This is where digital has it's advantage... snap, edit, print.

Solveman

quoting post from Spike:

Aside from looking "Tangoed"
Good to use of a hair light, though may work even better If more behind the subject, less loss of detail in the shoulders.

Good point.

Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

Something more like this:

It's a bit weird, I took the blouse to cold neutral and in saving for web and uploading, it's shifted toward the red. I did it twice to check too.

It looks like you have used a gold reflector as a fill and it's too strong and is giving a Devil uplighting effect. You need to look up "Short Lighting" to flatter your subject, you have used broad lighting which makes the face look very full. Short lighting would have put part of the face in shade giving it a slimmer look.

I straightened the image in crop and lightened the eyes a bit.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 12-14-2012 7:07 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Solveman

quoting post from  Ace:

Something more like this:

It's a bit weird, I took the blouse to cold neutral and in saving for web and uploading, it's shifted toward the red. I did it twice to check too.

It looks like you have used a gold reflector as a fill and it's too strong and is giving a Devil uplighting effect. You need to look up "Short Lighting" to flatter your subject, you have used broad lighting which makes the face look very full. Short lighting would have put part of the face in shade giving it a slimmer look.

I straightened the image in crop and lightened the eyes a bit.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Yes, I did use a gold reflector. To be honest, I was experimenting with this shoot. The shoot was a favour for a friend. I got to play and she got some pics. You are right, though, a bit of shadow would have been better. I have some constant photographic lighting now (5600K) and a flash and umbrella affair instead of the tv studio lighting that I used on this shoot.

jdphoto

Photographer
City: Flitwick

Hi

For me you have used glamour lighting and the reflective light is too powerful and its fighting with your key light.

This is me being critical if your client love great.

By the did you try converting it to Black and While, for me it looks even better in B&W

Send Nm Mail to jdphoto Add jdphoto to your favorites list
JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer
City: Prestatyn

Hi Richard

At the end of the day critique is invaluable but what is the most important thing is what the subject thinks of the image. If she’s delighted its a winner whether its technically right or not.

The colour caste I would have removed and I keep being drawn to the area on the shoulder that is a little burnt out. I cant enlarge the image but going by the size I can see there appears to be two catchlights in one eye and only one in the other, I would have been inclined to either remove one catchlight in the one eye or put another in the other eye. Just a personal thing.

I would have gone for a different crop but again thats a personal choice.

Good shot though

Jan

Send Nm Mail to JanNelsonPhotography Add JanNelsonPhotography to your favorites list
Tennyson

Photographer
City: Ty Croes
RE: What do you think? Portrait shot Dec 30, 2012 11:33am

I like all three of the portraits of this model, but I think I'd have moved the light source round to the left (about 45 degrees from the front of the model) and up (again about 45 degrees) which would have given a hint of shadow and a softer light. Mind you, having seen the other images in your portfolio, you know a thing or two about lighting. Good luck with your portraiture.

Send Nm Mail to Tennyson Add Tennyson to your favorites list
 Solveman

quoting post from Tennyson:

I like all three of the portraits of this model, but I think I'd have moved the light source round to the left (about 45 degrees from the front of the model) and up (again about 45 degrees) which would have given a hint of shadow and a softer light. Mind you, having seen the other images in your portfolio, you know a thing or two about lighting. Good luck with your portraiture.

Thanks Tennyson. My lighting in this session was limited as they were taken using fixed television studio lighting. I now have some freestanding lights that are 5600k white and versatile.

I do teach lighting as part of a City and Guilds media course (tv and video).

Thank you to everyone for your excellent and constructive comments.

Rich

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts