2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Your thoughts please 
 Solveman

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Basildon
Views : 1672  Feb 8, 2013 7:41pm

This one of a series of pics that my daughter took as part of a fashion catalogue shoot that she did for her photography course at college. I have, obviously, given her my thoughts but would welcome the thoughts of any of you fashion togs out there. Do any models have comments for my niece that modelled for the set?

Thanks
Rich

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 9:31am

It's really difficult to be objective re this shot, you don't say what level of course this is for, so it's not easy to pitch comment.

Technically it's not helped by compressing the jpg to 98% and using of all things Facebook Tiny SRGB as a colour space! No wonder the colour is off and there is a lot of banding in the background.

Facebook is well known for being rubbish and reproducing pics that really should not be used for any serious work.

As a shot aesthetically, there is not much to go, is the shot going to be a cut out or is the background going to be used? If it's a cut out, the shot is a good starting point, if the background is part of the shot, it's ok but could be made a lot more interesting.

For a proper critique you need to give the criteria, brief for the shot and present the image in a form that gives the viewer best chance to see the image accurately.

Suggest your daughter shoots in RAW mode, edits using Photoshop or similar using SRGB colour space and uses the Save For Web function in Photoshop to obtain a suitable image to post.

Do not lift images from Facebook and expect them to be suitable for serious work and exam boards! I hope that helps.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
 Peter_Birch

Photographer
City: London
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 10:06am

I showed this to my own daughter, who is doing photography as part of her art course, and she also didn't feel able to comment without knowing what level it's at and perhaps more about the brief.

Send Nm Mail to Peter_Birch Add Peter_Birch to your favorites list
 Solveman

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Basildon
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 2:23pm

The course is the UAL level 3. The project was digital studio. Coming from Facebook is my fault as this is where I ripped it. It was taken as an image for a fashion catalogue. The whole thing was put together with suitable blurb and I had it glossy printed and bound for her. It earned a merit.

I have already mentioned to her to shoot in RAW, Ace, which she does. The pic has been edited in photoshop, though I thnk this one might be a little out of focus, though this could be because it is from FB. She didn't really have time to do more with the pics because of the deadline. She had taken on a huge project but I think she did an amazing job considering the timescale. I let her loose in my studio but didn't really hang about to help as I wanted it to be her work and not mine. At the time I only had a paper backdrop which is very 'flat'. The new vinyl one would have made the image 'pop' more as it is much more reflective. Had she have had a kick light then it would have had more depth and she could have highlighted the model's hair. Would have been nice. I didn't realise that, at this point, she hadn't had any studio tuition, except for a couple of do's and dont's from me so, basically, it was on the fly self tuition. Being honest, they don't seem to get a lot of tuition and are very much left to their own devices, which is something that I am in loggerheads with the college about. As a level 3 media tutor, I am fully aware of how much tuition, realistically, they should have.

Incidentally, this is the first time that Rebecca has worked with a model or in a studio and this was Amy's first time modelling. So, all in all, I don't think it was a bad job.

Although the pics on FB aren't the best quality, take a look at some more from the shoot on Rebecca's photography FB page. Some other project stuff is there also. She would welcome comments as she doesn't really seem to get a lot of feedback from tutors.

www.facebook.com/RebeccaFridayPhotography

Thanks a lot folks. I appreciate your comments and I know that my daughter does too. Please 'like' her page too, as this would please her

Rich

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
Yosi_Baba

Photographer
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 3:12pm

It was good that the OP gave more information regarding the picture. Since it was the first attempt at taking pictures in a studio setting, then it was a good effort and she should be proud of herself. The more your daughter practices the better she will become.

In my opinion the picture is bland, boring and forgettable. I say this for the following reasons. Every thing about the picture is wrong. The back drop is a bit flat. The model looks bored and does not know what to do with her body. The model would have looked a lot better if she wore some make up, this would have improved the over all affect of the picture. I know that your daughter is a student and can not afford a MUA, but surely the model you used should know how to how to apply her own make up.

The styling of the model was non existent. I have looked at the pictures from face book and all the same.

You mentioned that the project was for a fashion catalogue. The aim of a fashion catalogue is to show people what clothes the retailer has for sale and to get people to buy the clothes. Looking at the pictures from the shoot I would not want to buy any clothing's that was in the pictures. So in this sense it is a failure.

All the pictures have no narrative. What's the story behind the picture.

When you do a location shot it must add some thing to the picture, some of the locations that was used was bad. My suggestion would be next time to use D.O.F to blur out the back ground.

There are so many fashion magazines, fashion websites that you can look at to get ideas and get your creative juices flowing. Maybe next time do a bit more research as to what you want to achieve.

You said that the tutor does not give feed back. I think your daughter needs to be a bit more bullish and speak to her tutor for more feed back. After all she is paying for the course and deserves to be taught properly and get her moneys worth.

Send Nm Mail to Yosi_Baba Add Yosi_Baba to your favorites list
 Peter_Birch

Photographer
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 4:25pm

I like the grungy outfit, although I'm not sure the boots fit in with the rest, and I feel that the model's pose and expression suit the look. It's plainly not high fashion, but then the remit doesn't call for high fashion. At the very least she is reasonably individual rather than combining some overused combination of pose and expression, while her wild hair and lack of making up again suit the outfit. If it was a portfolio pic the impression I'd get would be of an inexperienced model prepared to put some effort into the shoot.

Send Nm Mail to Peter_Birch Add Peter_Birch to your favorites list
Monsignor

Photographer
City: Guildford
RE: Your thoughts please Feb 9, 2013 4:51pm

quoting post from Yosi_Baba:

The styling of the model was non existent. I have looked at the pictures from face book and all the same.

You mentioned that the project was for a fashion catalogue. The aim of a fashion catalogue is to show people what clothes the retailer has for sale and to get people to buy the clothes. Looking at the pictures from the shoot I would not want to buy any clothing's that was in the pictures. So in this sense it is a failure.

All the pictures have no narrative. What's the story behind the image

Its for a fashion catalogue,there is no story or narrative!!

Check out any online retailers website,asos,new look etc and its just rows of images on white backdrops!

Regarding the styling,it is what it is and maybe that was the look this "magazine" was aiming for? Maybe not on trend but hey ho,just being a bit more open minded.

Op has already identified how the image could have been improved but i think its a creditabke effort for just being let loose in a studio,ive seen far worse posted up on the front page of this site!

Send Nm Mail to Monsignor Add Monsignor to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Monsignor at 02-09-2013 4:53 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts