3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Opinion needed by togs/ post processors 
 Solveman

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Basildon
Views : 1561  Jul 11, 2013 7:19pm

Ok, so I snapped this one on Monday and my buddy, another tog, thinks I should crop the hell out of it. I have just opened it in PS and showed gridlines and, if I am to have the face on the focal point, then, yes, I do need to crop. Having done so, it doesn't look right to me. What would you guys do with it, or should I go with my instinct and leave as is?

Send Nm Mail to Solveman Add Solveman to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Blackfirestorm

Model
City: Heywood

Me personally? I would leave it alone it shows a stunning backdrop to a stunning picture

Send Nm Mail to Blackfirestorm Add Blackfirestorm to your favorites list
Andy22

Photographer
City: Pontypridd

Either burn the sky or crop the sky out maybe? A large white expanse especially on the perimeter of a shot can be quite distracting. Nice shot tho!

Send Nm Mail to Andy22 Add Andy22 to your favorites list
 Solveman

Thanks, Andy, I had considered that. Nice comment, Firestorm, thank you. And, yes, I had considered the greens but, personally, liked the feel as they were

Rich

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Solveman at 07-12-2013 4:43 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

Suggestion: Ask yourself "What do I want the view to look at first; where do I want to lead the viewer's eye?"

Once you have the answer, use cropping and shading to take the viewer's eye there.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 07-12-2013 5:31 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
AndyPaul

Photographer
City: Hassocks

As already mentioned, depends where you want the viewers eye to lock on to. As a scenic shot it looks great, but you wouldn't normally have someone lying on a bed of potentially sharp rocks in the corner, to me, that makes the model look out of place. The rocks and model are sharp in the picture which leads me to believe this is the point of focus, if the model and the wall is main point of the picture then you should crop in taking out the at least the blown out sky. If a scenic shot then you'll need to recover the sky, unless you shot this in RAW, there is not much chance in bringing back the sky as there is no info in the picture to recover from, may need to find another sky and layer it in using the masking layer and opacity taken down.

This is a good picture but, to me, it covers two genres, you need to choose which one you'd prefer, or have 2 copies, one cropped and one not.

Send Nm Mail to AndyPaul Add AndyPaul to your favorites list
 Solveman

Thanks, Ace and AndyPaul.

Solveman

OK, I took all the advice on board. Better?

Solveman

This is another at the same spot. Colours and levels have been edited but is uncropped. I was happy with the framing.

This is my first model shoot using late evening/ sunset light. Certainly won't be my last. I just love the light and the highlights it gave. Actually, I was supposed to be there at around 7pm but my model was running late so we didn't get on location until after 8pm. I think it did me a favour.

For those concerned about the sharp wall, Amy was able to lay between the sharp bits I am always concerned for my model's welfare... especially as she is my niece.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Solveman at 07-12-2013 4:51 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
martyn

Photographer
City: Cardiff

In the second image your instinct ~ or photographers eye ~ has done what you were asking about in the first image.

In my opinion, the killer on the original is the bleached sky, once that is gone the image improves dramatically

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Imagine
ImagiNation
IMAGE WALES
www.imagewales.co.uk

Proud to be a member of the TAFFIA

Send Nm Mail to martyn Add martyn to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

I hope this doesn't sound harsh but if I had known you had the second shot, my advice would have been not to bother with the first. At best it was only ever going to be a rescue job.

As Martyn says, the second shot has a lot of the qualities that we have talked about. A much better shot all round.

Ace, Ace baby! on Facebook http://on.fb.me/IqRzBZ

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
 Solveman

It's never harsh, Ace, if it's honest critique from someone that knows what they are talking about. Thank you for your opinion. Thanks everyone for your input.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Solveman at 07-14-2013 4:11 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts