alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
3 members online. 
3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Splitting jpeg files and raw onto different cards on a Canon 5D Mark 3 
Rimfire

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Gosford/ Central Coast- N.S.W.
Views : 2328  Sep 20, 2013 1:34am

I am interested to know if it is possible to shoot both Raw and jpeg files simultaneously, but separate the files onto the 2 cards available on the camera so I have j-pegs on one and raw on the other ?
I rang Canon and might have well contacted the Moon walkers variety club
Is it possible ?
Ross

Send Nm Mail to Rimfire Add Rimfire to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

I think you will need to tell us which camera it is.
I shoot Nikon and it is possible (and indeed simple) to shoot Raw files on card 1 and JPG on card 2, but you will need other Canon users to tell you if it is possible on your camera.
Or maybe the manual will help.

Regards
Kevin

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
Rimfire

Driftwood- I named the camera in the topic title
Canon 5D Mark 3

IanS

Photographer
City: Worcester

Yes you can, if you go into the menu settings, you can set it up for jpegs on one card and RAWs on the other.

Send Nm Mail to IanS Add IanS to your favorites list
JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer
City: Prestatyn

quoting post from Rimfire:

I rang Canon and might have well contacted the Moon walkers variety club
Ross

Hi Ross

As you use the Canon 5D Mark 3 which Canon class as a pro camera if you have the rest of the required Canon lens/camera the best thing to do if you haven't already is sign up to CNP. You'll find it easier to get advice and there are other benefits as well especially getting equipment repaired in a fraction of the normal time.

Jan

Send Nm Mail to JanNelsonPhotography Add JanNelsonPhotography to your favorites list
dhuntuk

Photographer
City: Yateley

If you wish to stick your jpegs on a separate card, are you planning to use an eye-fi card to preview your jpegs on your laptop/ipad?

Send Nm Mail to dhuntuk Add dhuntuk to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge

Whilst I can't help you with how to do it I am curious as to what it'll achieve for you?

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
dhuntuk

Photographer

quoting post from  Diceman199:

Whilst I can't help you with how to do it I am curious as to what it'll achieve for you?

I'm guessing it is to preview the images post shoot. They'll load up very quickly.

I used too do this when I used my old 40d - shoot RAW & large jpegs but on the same card but only copy and paste the jpegs so as to preview them.

Now I only shoot in RAW and create jpegs from those RAW files on my PC, as I'm no longer in any urgency to preview the images - I'm neither a professional nor am I needing to meet a TF deadline.

driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

quoting post from Rimfire:

Driftwood- I named the camera in the topic title
Canon 5D Mark 3

Sorry Ross. I missed that bit.

Kevin

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer

quoting post from dhuntuk:

I'm guessing it is to preview the images post shoot. They'll load up very quickly.

I used too do this when I used my old 40d - shoot RAW & large jpegs but on the same card but only copy and paste the jpegs so as to preview them.

Now I only shoot in RAW and create jpegs from those RAW files on my PC, as I'm no longer in any urgency to preview the images - I'm neither a professional nor am I needing to meet a TF deadline.

Quite easy to do on the PC when you do the download. Wouldn't it also mean one card fills up far faster than the other?

That said cards are pretty cheap

dunstaffnage

Photographer
City: Bristol

have a 5d mk3 and slit RAW and jpeg onto different cards. It is a menu.option.

Send Nm Mail to dunstaffnage Add dunstaffnage to your favorites list
JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer

Having two separate cards in the camera to many is a way of backing up images so that if one card packs in the other should be ok but with cards being so safe nowadays a lot of pro's will shoot raw on one and jpeg on the other instead of shooting raw to both cards.
As the jpegs will upload much quicker to the computer and the same size card will hold a lot more jpeg images they can start selecting which images to keep whilst the raw is still uploading.

Send Nm Mail to JanNelsonPhotography Add JanNelsonPhotography to your favorites list
dhuntuk

Photographer

Quite easy to do on the PC when you do the download. Wouldn't it also mean one card fills up far faster than the other?

That said cards are pretty cheap

If they're using an eye-fi card to preview the images on a tablet, it would make sense.

But no one is explaining why they're splitting the different formats onto separate cards. The jpegs simultaneously created by the camera are not the same as those created from a RAW image on a PC.

So, previewing must be the reason.

I'm guessing a 16 Gb CF II for RAW and a 4 Gb SDHC for jpegs would suffice for a 2-4 hours shoot?

Everyone is so secretive! LOL. Must be a professional thing!?!

Bob_d

Photographer
City: Chippenham

If they're using an eye-fi card to preview the images on a tablet, it would make sense.

With Eye-Fi........you can set it to only send jpg images to the iPad (well, you can with shuttersnitch).

Loading onto PC is easy to split.

Maybe it is just "belt and braces" in case of a media meltdown?

Send Nm Mail to Bob_d Add Bob_d to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer

I imagine it's a combination of the various reasons.

I only have a single slot on my camera so if in a hurry to download I just select the jpg's only and pull them down first.

JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer

The only problem with eye-fi is its so slow.

If I didn't need to use it for some jobs I wouldn't entertain using one.

Rimfire

Thanks for all your feedback, sorry but I've had to run away on a shoot out in the bush area and just got back in.
Reason for splitting is that I do a school group shots plus live stage performances at a school music festival, and whilst I shoot in raw I need fast files to quickly load up and proof sheet for orders for parents to order from for the individual performances between matinee and evening runs. I do the raw file adjustments later on before final professional lab printing . Hope that explains my post and reasons behind it.
Splitting the raw and j pegs onto separate cards just means I don't have to do added work in separating the 2 file types ( and subsequent downloading time/s.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Rimfire at 10-01-2013 5:25 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton

But no one is explaining why they're splitting the different formats onto separate cards. The jpegs simultaneously created by the camera are not the same as those created from a RAW image on a PC.

So, previewing must be the reason.

I'm guessing a 16 Gb CF II for RAW and a 4 Gb SDHC for jpegs would suffice for a 2-4 hours shoot?

Everyone is so secretive! LOL. Must be a professional thing!?!

Don't know about Canon but with Nikon if you put in two cards of different sizes the smaller card dictates to the larger that it mimics the smaller card's size.

i.e. 16Gb card and 8Gb card, BOTH will be treated as 8Gb and the camera will demand a change of both cards at 8Gb.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer

quoting post from JanNelsonPhotography:

The only problem with eye-fi is its so slow.

If I didn't need to use it for some jobs I wouldn't entertain using one.

I don't use eye-fi myself. When shooting in the studio I do shoot tethered most of the time.

A 10m USB extension cord means I can move around with the camera as per normal and preview pops up in around a second. Useful feedback for both the tog and the model i've found.

Once used to it the cable isn't an issue.

JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer

I don't use eye-fi myself. When shooting in the studio I do shoot tethered most of the time.

A 10m USB extension cord means I can move around with the camera as per normal and preview pops up in around a second. Useful feedback for both the tog and the model i've found.

Once used to it the cable isn't an issue.

I might give an extension cord a go especially as I don't move much when I'm in the studio so the cord shouldn't be much of a problem

What I do like about eye-fi is the images initially get transferred to a pc (so I can check lighting, composition etc), which is in the studio but as soon as I go to edit on the mac the images have been transferred there as well.

Downside - transferring to the pc or mac is so dam slow but with product photography it isn't causing too much of a problem

Diceman199

Photographer

I might give an extension cord a go especially as I don't move much when I'm in the studio so the cord shouldn't be much of a problem

What I do like about eye-fi is the images initially get transferred to a pc (so I can check lighting, composition etc), which is in the studio but as soon as I go to edit on the mac the images have been transferred there as well.

Downside - transferring to the pc or mac is so dam slow but with product photography it isn't causing too much of a problem

That's the main advantage with the cable. The preview jpg's let you see immediatly how your set up is working.

You can also have it downloading the RAW's while you shoot as well so you have an instant back up. That said i've yet to have a card fail on me.

Amazon does the cables (enter 10m usb repeater cable in search) and it'll set you back the princely sum of £5 to £12. At that price it's worth a punt to see how you get along with it

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Diceman199 at 10-01-2013 3:48 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer

Thanks for that I'll see about getting one tomorrow but I'm wary of Amazon as it looks like their system has been compromised. I had to phone them yesterday and the lady who answered the call said they are having loads of people contact them about fake emails.
I had ordered for the first time with them on the 20th and got an email next day about my order - fake email and since then the emails have kept coming.

Still I should be able to get the cable somewhere else but thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Diceman199

Photographer

Thanks for that I'll see about getting one tomorrow but I'm wary of Amazon as it looks like their system has been compromised. I had to phone them yesterday and the lady who answered the call said they are having loads of people contact them about fake emails.
I had ordered for the first time with them on the 20th and got an email next day about my order - fake email and since then the emails have kept coming.

Still I should be able to get the cable somewhere else but thanks for the advice much appreciated.

The amazon e-mail scam is a fairly random one and doesn't seem to come from amazon client lists. I know a couple of people who don't use it and they have had e-mails. I'm an IT manager so people ask me about these things.

There is also a "verify your e-mail address" scam going at the mo. They say something along the lines of your e-mail will be terminated etc if you don't.

JanNelsonPhotography

Photographer

The amazon e-mail scam is a fairly random one and doesn't seem to come from amazon client lists. I know a couple of people who don't use it and they have had e-mails. I'm an IT manager so people ask me about these things.

The email scam may be fairly random but then random to me isn't when the day after I place an order, the very first time I've ordered from them, an email arrives with reference to the exact date I placed the order. That's too much of a co-incidence
According to Amazon genuine emails will be @amazon.com or @amazon.co.uk, that's exactly what it was.
The 2nd email referred to a delay in delivery, and again quoted the exact date I ordered.
A few more emails but they got deleted without being opened as the item had arrived and I wouldn't be ordering from Amazon again.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts