1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : I am back 
RieniO

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Auxerre
Views : 2332  Jan 23, 2014 10:58pm

I was offline for a few years because my computer broke down. I now bought a new computer with pentium processor and 500MB harddrive and also upgraded to a 128kb Dynamode modem, so my connection is much faster now so I can reply to forum posts and upload photos to my portfolio much faster!

Send Nm Mail to RieniO Add RieniO to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: I am back Jan 24, 2014 4:20am

quoting post from RieniO:

I was offline for a few years because my computer broke down. I now bought a new computer with pentium processor and 500MB harddrive and also upgraded to a 128kb Dynamode modem, so my connection is much faster now so I can reply to forum posts and upload photos to my portfolio much faster!

128kb modem?, wow that's some serious bandwidth, hope you're using the latest Netscape browser and Windows 98SE to take full advantage of all that intereweb thats out there

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by NoNoizePhotography at 01-24-2014 4:20 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
RieniO

RE: I am back Mar 2, 2014 10:07am

I upgraded to Windows 98SE last week and then my 128kb Dynamode didn't work anymore, Windows said: unknown device and couldn't find a driver! So I contacted Dynamode support, and they said the 98SE driver is still under development! So I had to install my Windows 95 again to get my modem to work. Pity because the 98SE interface looks really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

NickG

Photographer
City: Ealing
RE: I am back Mar 2, 2014 4:55pm

Oh good. I was never really in your fan club (lack of space, probably) but always had an interest in your caustic, provocative posts.

Oh yes, I recall, you are an animal rights nut. Welcome back, I'm sure we will cross swords again at some point...

Send Nm Mail to NickG Add NickG to your favorites list
ccp

Photographer
City: South East
RE: I am back Mar 3, 2014 5:34am

This computer in my bedroom that I'm using at the moment and use every day has Windows 98se, with 500GB hard drive, 160mb ram. I do all my editing on this pc, and printing. Most of my software that I need to use wouldn't install on my new laptop.

Send Nm Mail to ccp Add ccp to your favorites list
ccp

Photographer
RE: I am back Mar 3, 2014 5:40am

I upgraded to Windows 98SE last week and then my 128kb Dynamode didn't work anymore, Windows said: unknown device and couldn't find a driver! So I contacted Dynamode support, and they said the 98SE driver is still under development! So I had to install my Windows 95 again to get my modem to work. Pity because the 98SE interface looks really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

I would like to have looked at the youtube video, but this pc can't handle youtube anymore.

RieniO

RE: I am back Mar 14, 2014 6:58pm

quoting post from  NickG:

Oh good. I was never really in your fan club (lack of space, probably) but always had an interest in your caustic, provocative posts.

Oh yes, I recall, you are an animal rights nut. Welcome back, I'm sure we will cross swords again at some point...

Hi Nick, our clashes were always on a high, intelligent and respectful level, you bastard.

I'm a full vegan now, losing a lot of cholesterol and fat and besides producing artistic videos I'm also spending a lot of time and money on helping Romanian street dogs together with a bunch of awesome people from all over Europe including the UK.

www.escapefrombuzau.org

(all in Dutch, can't multi-language get to work on the WP theme - but if you know someone who wants to adopt one of those dogs, just shout)

RieniO

RE: I am back Mar 14, 2014 7:04pm

quoting post from ccp:

This computer in my bedroom that I'm using at the moment and use every day has Windows 98se, with 500GB hard drive, 160mb ram. I do all my editing on this pc, and printing. Most of my software that I need to use wouldn't install on my new laptop.

Hey man, how are you doing?

You're just smart. I still have all my old computers too and if I can use them for something, I will. I'm using my previous PC with XP for sending out faxes because the built-in dial-up model still has a phone plug. My new PC only has wireless WiFI and ethernet, so how do you send a fax from there? I also still have my first Apple G4, still works fine for burning DVDs en editing SD video.

Can you still download old software and drivers from the web?

occasions

Photographer
City: Barnsley
RE: I am back Mar 15, 2014 2:56am

160 mb ram ???????????

interesting comment

Send Nm Mail to occasions Add occasions to your favorites list
ccp

Photographer
RE: I am back Mar 15, 2014 6:18am

Hey man, how are you doing?

You're just smart. I still have all my old computers too and if I can use them for something, I will. I'm using my previous PC with XP for sending out faxes because the built-in dial-up model still has a phone plug. My new PC only has wireless WiFI and ethernet, so how do you send a fax from there? I also still have my first Apple G4, still works fine for burning DVDs en editing SD video.

Can you still download old software and drivers from the web?

I'm fine thanks, hope you are well too.

My old pc with Windows 98se is very limited when it comes to the net, so there's much it won't or can't handle. Can't really download much at all from the net. I don't send any fax.

My old d70 works fine with it, but my d300s doesn't show up at all if I plug it into the usb. Just use it for editing and a little use on the net. My old laptop which had XP on it died, so I had to buy a new one last year, which has Windows 8, which I really don't like at all. But it allows me to do the things I need to do which I can't do on my old pc.

I see you still have images of the lovely Cassie on your page, I so wish I booked her for more shoots when I had the chance.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by ccp at 03-15-2014 6:27 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
ccp

Photographer
RE: I am back Mar 15, 2014 6:22am

quoting post from occasions:

160 mb ram ???????????

interesting comment

Yes I know, odd. I bought it second hand, and when I looked it said 160.

Damien

Photographer
City: Bristol
RE: I am back Mar 15, 2014 7:01am

quoting post from ccp:

Yes I know, odd. I bought it second hand, and when I looked it said 160.

I imagine that is a 128 MB and a 32 MB strip of memory. If you wanted more and its pc100 or pc133 memory I have both up for sale on ebay at the moment with a starting price of 99p for 128 MB of PC100 (271423782092) and 99p for 384 MB of PC133 memory (271423778068). Depending upon what you currently have its possible you could more than double the memory in your old PC. If you are interested I'll mail you the links. Sale finishes in 4 days.

Send Nm Mail to Damien Add Damien to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Damien at 03-15-2014 7:14 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
RieniO

RE: I am back Mar 15, 2014 10:09am

quoting post from ccp:

My old d70 works fine with it, but my d300s doesn't show up at all if I plug it into the usb. Just use it for editing and a little use on the net.

My D300 partly died, some functions are just not working anymore, like moving the focus area in manual mode and in auto mode it doesn't take the built-in flash into consideration anymore so when shooting in the dark, it flashes, but the shutter remains open for seconds. Very annoying. The focus assist light died after 3 months already.

But I wanted to move up to larger sensor anyway and I'll stick with Nikon.

But for moving photos to your PC, just take out the card and use a card reader? That's how I always do it anyway, much easier?

And wow 160MB RAM, that's about 105 floppy disks, amazing :-)

Damien

Photographer
RE: I am back Mar 18, 2014 2:45pm

But for moving photos to your PC, just take out the card and use a card reader? That's how I always do it anyway, much easier?

And wow 160MB RAM, that's about 105 floppy disks, amazing :-)

I've always used a card reader too and I've never had a problem with it. Some people say they have had problems reading cards in the camera after using a card reader but I think that only might happen if you delete from, write to or format the card while its in the reader. If you just copy the images to the computer the card will be unchanged.

The different operating systems don't just make computers redundant, they affect just about everything. When I was running windows 98SE I had a scanner that I hardly used yet I had to dump it when my new computer used XP. I got a lovely new scanner that produced good results with everything I threw at it. Along came windows 7 on my next computer and there were no drivers for the scanner, no printer port for my old but very good printer and no floppy disk drive or interface for it on the motherboard. Consequently I'm still keeping the old compter running as well as the current one.

You say about 160 MB of RAM being equivalent to 105 floppy disks. I expect there are a few on here who don't know what a floppy disk is. They use USB flash drives with a capacity of 8, 16, 32 or 64 GB to transfer files or the equivalent of about 5,000, 10,000, 20,000 or 40,000 floppy disks. Hard drives of a 1000 GB or more 16 GB of RAM, incredibly fast processors and graphics cards. Yet they never seem very fast when you are using them. I think its all a conspiracy to part us from our money.

Edit: I remember using a 56KB modem and then I upgraded to broadband at 256KB. Every few years this has been upgraded by my provider to 2 MB, 10 MB, 20 MB, 60 MB and I'm now told I will have 100 MB shortly. Its faster but does it seem to be 2000 times as fast? No!

Send Nm Mail to Damien Add Damien to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Damien at 03-18-2014 2:52 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
RieniO

RE: I am back Aug 13, 2014 3:15am

I am still back.

Raven_Nyx

Model
RE: I am back Aug 13, 2014 1:31pm

I feel a bit of love going on here.