5 members online. 
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : My freebies 
MrWrite

Thread Starter / Photographer
City, St: Soquel, CA
Views : 1250  May 27, 2014 5:18pm

It all started simple enough. When I photographed a wedding I would get a shot of the church when I (nearly always) had extra frames on the film.

Because of this, the Watsonville, California Historical Society has a photograph of every church in the city. (I went by the Jewish temple and took a photo just to be nice.)

Well, they are nice folks, and I have been giving them photos of events, historical markers and buildings and a few street scenes (Like downtown decorated for Christmas.)

I mention this because they give out receipts for donations of items (like photos) and I occasionally use these for a tax deduction. (Occasionally because I now don't often make enough to be able to use charity deductions in the tax forms.)

With digital, it is easier (and far less expensive) to give them a CD of historical events and places.

Hunting historical venues has been a bit exciting. I actually found an ADDRESS RESTRICTED historical landmark by looking up news stories of a protest on the site and checking the photographs for familiar views.

To be sure, having my name attached to so many photographs has made a few (young) researchers wonder if I am related to the photographer who did so many shots long ago. That aside, there is no glory to helping out the local history lovers.

It has been fun. I recommend it. I have found many odd things.

The smallest state park in the county. (About one acre, if you include the parking lot.)
A road that has been partially underwater since the area was made part of a wildlife refuge.
http://localwiki.net/santacruz/Harkins_Slough_Road
An area named for a river that never existed. (Rio Del Mar in California.)
An historic landmark that was razed, but still listed.

Of course, some historic societies are better than others.

Send Nm Mail to MrWrite Add MrWrite to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts