2 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : 31 January 2015 .... 
 MichaelSmith

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Adelaide
Views : 2173  Feb 8, 2015 7:53am

So every now and then, I have a look on here and flip through the pages of forum posts back to around my previous visit. On doing so just now, for 31 January 2015 (US time) I was greeted with the following text:

"No forum posts for this day."

I wonder if that's a first for this site?

Send Nm Mail to MichaelSmith Add MichaelSmith to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by MichaelSmith at 02-08-2015 7:53 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 8, 2015 10:48am

More than likely, sometimes I and other NetModel diehards put something up, but sometimes there's nothing to report. I could waffle on about a great many things, but i'd rather waffle with something connected to photography than what I ate for lunch today (Roast Lamb wrapped in cherry smoked Wiltshire organic bacon with red onion gravy and crispy kale)

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
JadedRed

Model
City: Thurrock
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 3:36pm

I like how low maintenance this site is. I can browse past every few days, catch up on what has gone on. If I want work I just post a LFW post. If I want pictures I can pop in to a picture thread.

On PP especially, there is this super social networking attitude. It's like hey, if you like, collect, post, upload, push down, down-forward, forward + punch, then people will see you and want to work with you. Yay, great. But wait everyone's doing that. So now I have to spend a bunch of time faffing around just to get the "normal" amount of exposure. It's a double edged sword, if you spend time you can get work, but time isn't free so it's just another cost that is only justifiable to a point.

I don't want NM to die or anything, but I don't want to have another PP either, one is enough. I'd like it to keep dawdling on, a little bit of work here, a little bit of chat there, nice and calm.

Send Nm Mail to JadedRed Add JadedRed to your favorites list
JadedRed

Model
City: Thurrock
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 3:41pm

As an extension to that, there is great talk about popularity of one site over another, how "busy" this or that site is (always purely talking about forums as if they are the entire site) or who has the best features.

But when it comes to net-model I just want to be able to post/mail/upload without ripping my eyes out in frustration, half decent company and the odd bit of work.

Send Nm Mail to JadedRed Add JadedRed to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by JadedRed at 02-09-2015 3:42 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NickG

Photographer
City: Ealing
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 4:28pm

quoting post from  NoNoizePhotography:

More than likely, sometimes I and other NetModel diehards put something up, but sometimes there's nothing to report. I could waffle on about a great many things, but i'd rather waffle with something connected to photography than what I ate for lunch today (Roast Lamb wrapped in cherry smoked Wiltshire organic bacon with red onion gravy and crispy kale)

Oh, I'm not sure, I'd like to hear a bit more about that lunch. Was the lamb rare? (Not a rare breed necessarily, but pink inside..?)

Send Nm Mail to NickG Add NickG to your favorites list
Aychee

Photographer
City: Cradley Heath / Halesowen
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 6:03pm

It's always better to be a big fish in a little pond as they say!

If you take out all of the "post the previous persons best...." and the "this happened what should I do as I am too stupid to make my own decisions" threads on busier sites then there really isn't that much left there.

I'm happy here, and staying, just dawdling along suits me fine.

NoNoize, that lamb sound fabulous but crispy kale? really? give me mashed potatoes with it every time

Aych

Send Nm Mail to Aychee Add Aychee to your favorites list
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 6:08pm

quoting post from  NickG:

Oh, I'm not sure, I'd like to hear a bit more about that lunch. Was the lamb rare? (Not a rare breed necessarily, but pink inside..?)

Pink going on light tanned - So damn tasty too

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 6:14pm

quoting post from Aychee:

It's always better to be a big fish in a little pond as they say!

If you take out all of the "post the previous persons best...." and the "this happened what should I do as I am too stupid to make my own decisions" threads on busier sites then there really isn't that much left there.

I'm happy here, and staying, just dawdling along suits me fine.

NoNoize, that lamb sound fabulous but crispy kale? really? give me mashed potatoes with it every time

Aych

I'm not a fan of mash or roast potatoes as they blow me out somewhat, even crisps do the same thing....(to much info?)

Aychee

Photographer
City: Cradley Heath / Halesowen
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 9, 2015 6:24pm

quoting post from  NoNoizePhotography:

I'm not a fan of mash or roast potatoes as they blow me out somewhat, even crisps do the same thing....(to much info?)

lol, yeah Buddy, way too much info!

Send Nm Mail to Aychee Add Aychee to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 10, 2015 8:38am

quoting post from JadedRed:

I like how low maintenance this site is. I can browse past every few days, catch up on what has gone on. If I want work I just post a LFW post. If I want pictures I can pop in to a picture thread.

On PP especially, there is this super social networking attitude. It's like hey, if you like, collect, post, upload, push down, down-forward, forward + punch, then people will see you and want to work with you. Yay, great. But wait everyone's doing that. So now I have to spend a bunch of time faffing around just to get the "normal" amount of exposure. It's a double edged sword, if you spend time you can get work, but time isn't free so it's just another cost that is only justifiable to a point.

I don't want NM to die or anything, but I don't want to have another PP either, one is enough. I'd like it to keep dawdling on, a little bit of work here, a little bit of chat there, nice and calm.

I'm with Jaded Red on this and she makes a good point in her subsequent post about this site being hassle free.

I don't understand why people seem to think that they should only belong to one site and the site they belong to is best. I don't understand why some site owners publicly state that they want to run other sites into the ground. It's not football teams but I've never understood that either!

There is a lot that needs doing to make NM a rocking site, on the other hand it's nice to have a little calm back water where you can post without crashing into big egos and keyboard warriors.

I still run the comp and have no delusions that it is a comp in the serious sense of the word. Just a bit of fun. Everyone who votes still gets a personal thank-you each time they vote and that has lead to a few lines of chat and online friendships. Nothing big but it's nice to have friendly exchange at the end of the day.

I just wish that No Noize Photography bloke would make less noize about his cooking. My post Christmas diet ain't going well and him making me hungry all the time, sure ain't helping!

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: 31 January 2015 .... Feb 10, 2015 10:21am

yep....certainly less flame wars since it got quiet on here.

Personally I do my lamb slow cooked in a stock with lot's of garlic, rosemary, red wine, whole shallots and mushrooms. Throw in some carrots, new potatoes 20 minutes or so before serving and it's a nice one pot meal.

Apologies to you and your diet Ace :-)

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts