3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Going Full Frame 
 Diceman199

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Uxbridge
Views : 1565  Mar 2, 2015 6:44am

Well i'm finally biting the bullet and going for a full frame camera. Having run into a few limitations with the cropped sensor EOS 600D (low light & small shooting spaces) it's time to move up.

So....i've gone for the Canon 6D which seems to have some good reviews and isn't going to need me to take out a mortgage to purchase.

I've got the versatile 24-105mm lens coming with it but any other lens recommendations?

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire
RE: Going Full Frame Mar 2, 2015 7:36am

I love my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D.. £100 new.. I'm sure Canon do a similar lens...

I've used Sigma DG lenses and they are very good... their ART range may be of interest.

Having been FF for ages now... I'm about to get my first crop sensor for years: Fuji X-T1

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Going Full Frame Mar 2, 2015 12:06pm

... or even the f1.4.Although I am again speaking from the perspective of a Nikon user.
The two dream lenses (unless you are into landscape when you may want to go wider) are the 70-200 f2.8 and the 85mm. Can't remember the f stop but you would want the fast one. In Nikon neither are cheap, sadly.
It is always worth considering Sigma, as they make very good lenses which are a lot cheaper.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Going Full Frame Mar 2, 2015 2:04pm

It really depends on the subject matter that you intend shooting. Is it just models or do you intend shooting other genres like sport, landscape, etc?

Presuming, it's mainly model work, a longer lens than 24-105mm would be useful. A 70-200 f2.8 would be good but will make your arm ache if used for long or a day's shoot. It might be worth considering long primes if you are saving some weight. If you are doing fashion, some people like the look that a 300mm gives you.

For full frame an 85mm fast prime would be preferable to a 50mm for portrait and model work. I haven't tried the Sigma Art series but they do come highly recommended.

Would be good to hear what you choose and how you find it.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
OriginalImage

Photographer
City: Gidea Park
RE: Going Full Frame Aug 29, 2015 7:37pm

Well a bit late answering this one, must have missed it before. As an 'Old School' Photographer from the days of Film, Darkrooms and Cameras that weighed more than ya Nan, 135 mm was the standard lens for portrait photography and it was also a very useful lens for indoor sports and functions as well.

Canons New 135mm f2 L Series Lens is a beauty, not the cheapest around but I use it on the 1Ds MKII and MKIII Full Frame Bodies and the Bokeh is amazing, the shots crisp and it is very light and easy to use when shooting for hours...

The image attached was shot on the 135 using natural light.

Check it out on the following Canon Page

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/telephoto/ef_135mm_f2l_usm/

The illiteracy of the future will be ignorance not of reading or writing, but of photography.
No, I am not rude, I just say what everyone else hasn't the balls to say

Send Nm Mail to OriginalImage Add OriginalImage to your favorites list
 Diceman199

RE: Going Full Frame Aug 30, 2015 8:35am

Sadly I can't afford a bunch of primes so I ended up with the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM

Only got it a couple of weeks ago so not had a chance to play with it yet but a couple of test shots in the back garden looks very good.

Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton
RE: Going Full Frame Aug 30, 2015 11:35am

70-300 is a very sensible choice. Once upon a time (in the years long gone by!) a 70-300 was to be found in nearly everyones' bag. The fast 70-200 tended to take over but 70-300 is still a very good choice.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 Diceman199

RE: Going Full Frame Aug 30, 2015 11:43am

I had a Sigma 70 - 300 for my 600D and found it very useful. I photograph the occasional bit of wildlife and zoo trips so the extra reach above a 200 is handy.

This one seems to have a very fast focus.....i'll get that kestrel next time!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts