[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Art Prints 
Brian2007

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: High Wycombe
Views : 1400  Feb 19, 2016 4:49am

Hi All
I am starting to do more fine art prints on the Hahnemuhle art paper. I looking at the finish off the prints and wonder if and what you do when come to mounting you artwork and numbering your work please?

Do Hahnemuhle protective sprays for them do any off you use it?

What sort off fixing do you use on your print to fix them to backing board in the corns please?

Do you print onto the boarders of your prints your limited addition print numbers and date please?

When you sign your prints what do you use for this pen pencil please?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Brian

Send Nm Mail to Brian2007 Add Brian2007 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Art Prints Feb 19, 2016 9:31am

Interesting post Brian, sadly not an area in which I have experience, so I shall be eager to see any advice posted.

The only thing I can add is that I have never seen limited edition numbers printed. The ones I've seen have been done by hand in the border of the print using a pencil or marker depending on the surface of the print.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
gwentman

Photographer
City: Caerphilly
RE: Art Prints Feb 19, 2016 10:39am

Pencils were the most common tool for handwritten signatures on prints but back then they had "black lead" pencils.
Not sure but I suppose the amount (if any) of lead in modern pencils wouldn't last any longer than ink.
Mike

Send Nm Mail to gwentman Add gwentman to your favorites list
JayBee

Photographer
City: London
RE: Art Prints Feb 19, 2016 10:39am

Hi Brian,

Your posting intrigued me, playing to my studies, specifically the "Exhibition Printing" module. This was back in the day, working from film, in a darkroom, and using Fine art fibre-based papers.

You need to visit your local Art supplies store, and look for acid free mounting tape. In each corner of your print, place the smallest strip of said tape, from the back of the print, adhesive side up. You then use a 2nd piece of said tape, to each corner, adhesive side down (in effect creating a "tee-shape") to stick it to your mounting board.

...Are you really talking about placing a signature / watermark or edition mark /stamp on your print??? Surely only on the mount (with a separate letter or certificate to go with, to confirm the authenticity.

Are you investing in a mount cutter - (see earlier advice re arts' supplies store)

Good Luck
Joe B

Send Nm Mail to JayBee Add JayBee to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts