1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : how many is to many? 
pep

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire
Views : 720  Nov 21, 2016 8:35am

Looking through my profile, I had 8 images of a model I shot, several different looks (images didn't all look the same or of a certain style / pose) anyway.. I deleted some so I've just 5 or 6... I'm my mind it keeps my portfolio balanced...

- Can a portfolio have too many of one model / pose or style?
- Quality or quantity? How do you decide numbers & what to upload?

P

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 8:59am

quoting post from pep:

Looking through my profile, I had 8 images of a model I shot, several different looks (images didn't all look the same or of a certain style / pose) anyway.. I deleted some so I've just 5 or 6... I'm my mind it keeps my portfolio balanced...

- Can a portfolio have too many of one model / pose or style?
- Quality or quantity? How do you decide numbers & what to upload?

P

Portfolio balancing is a difficult issue as you have to show your style as a photographer and show off the ones you like best, sometimes the model/photographer combo is spot on and that's what you need to show which could just 2 or 3 images. I've often uploaded 10 - 15 images of one model just because I thought they were good pics, then after a week or two I remove half of them as they all looked samey (is samey a word?).

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
pep

RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 9:07am

'samey' I reckon it could be a word... if OED lets in some of the terms it does..

I agree with balance.... and sometimes struggled with an image in B&W v Colour... so post both up & then delete the one that gets fewest views...

Do think having too many of one can make a profile unbalanced or worse...

NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 9:19am

quoting post from pep:

'samey' I reckon it could be a word... if OED lets in some of the terms it does..

I agree with balance.... and sometimes struggled with an image in B&W v Colour... so post both up & then delete the one that gets fewest views...

Do think having too many of one can make a profile unbalanced or worse...

True

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 5:04pm

Good topic!

I try to limit any shoot to a max of 3 images in my portfolio unless the shots look radically different, as though they could have been shot on a different day. If you have lots of different outfits for example.

On another site, I limit my portfolio to 50 shots, after that viewers lose the will to live. If I add a new photograph, I take an old one out.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 11-21-2016 5:05 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
pep

RE: how many is to many? Nov 22, 2016 5:09am

50 is definitely a broad portfolio & should give models a full idea of our capabilities.

I tend to think 30 is really about the right number especially if we can be critical of our own work & just put up the best images.

Little ruins a portfolio, and makes a negative impression of us as a photographer, like a mass upload of poorly crafted images... though even worse, imho, and back to my first post: uploading an entire session of one model that shows little photographic craft or appreciation...

In general I think it's best to keep to less than 10 images from any one model, regardless of the number of sessions I've shot with them.. & then pick only what I consider to be the best variety from the sessions.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts