1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : how many is to many? 
pep

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire
Views : 267  Nov 21, 2016 8:35am

Looking through my profile, I had 8 images of a model I shot, several different looks (images didn't all look the same or of a certain style / pose) anyway.. I deleted some so I've just 5 or 6... I'm my mind it keeps my portfolio balanced...

- Can a portfolio have too many of one model / pose or style?
- Quality or quantity? How do you decide numbers & what to upload?

P

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 8:59am

quoting post from pep:

Looking through my profile, I had 8 images of a model I shot, several different looks (images didn't all look the same or of a certain style / pose) anyway.. I deleted some so I've just 5 or 6... I'm my mind it keeps my portfolio balanced...

- Can a portfolio have too many of one model / pose or style?
- Quality or quantity? How do you decide numbers & what to upload?

P

Portfolio balancing is a difficult issue as you have to show your style as a photographer and show off the ones you like best, sometimes the model/photographer combo is spot on and that's what you need to show which could just 2 or 3 images. I've often uploaded 10 - 15 images of one model just because I thought they were good pics, then after a week or two I remove half of them as they all looked samey (is samey a word?).

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
pep

RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 9:07am

'samey' I reckon it could be a word... if OED lets in some of the terms it does..

I agree with balance.... and sometimes struggled with an image in B&W v Colour... so post both up & then delete the one that gets fewest views...

Do think having too many of one can make a profile unbalanced or worse...

NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 9:19am

quoting post from pep:

'samey' I reckon it could be a word... if OED lets in some of the terms it does..

I agree with balance.... and sometimes struggled with an image in B&W v Colour... so post both up & then delete the one that gets fewest views...

Do think having too many of one can make a profile unbalanced or worse...

True

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
psal

Photographer
City: Halifax
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 11:23am

presume we are on about recent flood of images.
my opinion is that it was far far too many

Send Nm Mail to psal Add psal to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: how many is to many? Nov 21, 2016 5:04pm

Good topic!

I try to limit any shoot to a max of 3 images in my portfolio unless the shots look radically different, as though they could have been shot on a different day. If you have lots of different outfits for example.

On another site, I limit my portfolio to 50 shots, after that viewers lose the will to live. If I add a new photograph, I take an old one out.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 11-21-2016 5:05 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
pep

RE: how many is to many? Nov 22, 2016 5:09am

50 is definitely a broad portfolio & should give models a full idea of our capabilities.

I tend to think 30 is really about the right number especially if we can be critical of our own work & just put up the best images.

Little ruins a portfolio, and makes a negative impression of us as a photographer, like a mass upload of poorly crafted images... though even worse, imho, and back to my first post: uploading an entire session of one model that shows little photographic craft or appreciation...

In general I think it's best to keep to less than 10 images from any one model, regardless of the number of sessions I've shot with them.. & then pick only what I consider to be the best variety from the sessions.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts