alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
3 members online. 
1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Beginners, newbies verse Pro model rates. 
photosmiles

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Mansfield
Views : 1153  Mar 27, 2017 9:58am

Why do newbie's, beginners, and amateur models want the same rates or more as a semi/professional models.

Semi & professional models have put their time (YEARS not a few months) in for TF and hours in studios & locations in front of cameras (stills & video) to get experience for whatever level they shoot up to.
Plus they are reliable & reply to emails and phone calls.

A few models from another model web hosting sites I place a posting, wanted more fees, than most of the semi / Pro models. A couple of them did not even have any proper photos to prove what they had done some proper modelling, just pics from their phone cameras.

I believe all beginners, newbie's should get a certain amount of photo / video experience before they ask for more fees than a pro model or the photographer.

And to top it all, 1 of the girls I tried to help, quit after 10 months, because she said "She was not making loads of money like some of the tops name glamour models. She had a busty figure and I explain to her it's not all about been busty.

Send Nm Mail to photosmiles Add photosmiles to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

quoting post from photosmiles:

And to top it all, 1 of the girls I tried to help, quit after 10 months, because she said "She was not making loads of money like some of the tops name glamour models. ...

I think this is your answer.

Many models are only in it for the money and delude themselves that there is a lot of money to be made and that they don't have to have modelling skills. They don't tend to last though.

Those that are interested in the creative bit or developing their skills still tend to be open to Tf in the early days as a kind of training period.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 03-27-2017 12:49 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon

quoting post from  Ace:

Many models are only in it for the money and delude themselves that there is a lot of money to be made and that they don't have to modelling skills. They don't tend to last though.

Those that are interested in the creative bit or developing their skills still tend to be open to Tf in the early days as a kind of training period.

What You said

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
 pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire

I've no problem newbies indicating their rates, esp if they have:

- a USP ( fabulously photogenic, facially & emotionally expressive or other)
- modelling ability (shown in their photos) or some other facet..

Though, and as has been stated, the really good quality models that have experience, ability & an extensive portfolio.. are often advertising rates less than the newbies are showing..

Many will be gone before you can book them and no-show on you.. :-D

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
sparky101020

Photographer
City: Leamington

I have been employed for over 30 years and worked up to my current salary as I increased my skills and experience.

In model terms that is a long time but experience and ability are gained gradually in any job.

Enthusiasm counts too and I recall several years ago two shoot a few days apart. One was with a time served model and the second one with rather less experience reflected in the lower rate paid. However overall the content I had from from the less experienced but enthusiastic model was significantly better.

This is from the portfolio of a model who signed up recently

Quote:

Please note, I have no ambition to become a model so i'm only looking for paid work rather than doing endless TF shoots "To enhance my portfolio"

In principle reasonable to start wanting paid work at a starter rate after several shoots but the photographer needs confidence they will get content of a quantity and quality to justify the payment.

Send Nm Mail to sparky101020 Add sparky101020 to your favorites list
 Cheryl_Elizabeth

Model
City: Littlehampton

I have to say when I first started I didn't expect to be paid.. I had no intention of being paid, and it genuinely didn't cross my mind.. I didn't think it was even an option! I started modelling because I was an artist and really enjoyed drawing and painting nudes, so to be an actual nude model and see myself in photos was mental!
I did a couple of TFs and then I went and moved in with a chap and settled down back then.. when I came back to modelling 18 months or so later, I did a couple more TFs and photographers were already asking me how much I charged.. but, I didn't charge lol!
I got made redundant from my restaurant pianist job at the time soon after, so I just 'decided' right there and then that I would try be a professional model, and I conducted rates and business cards and set about making it happen. I certainly didn't expect it to last 12 years and counting and although I'm not the best in the world at the admin side of things, I do think a good business head helps gain work, a good, communicative personality.. ability to adapt and change with the times / personalities you work with.. your ability to act, travel, etc.
Sure, it's great if you look good, but these attributes above I'd say are just as important if not MORE so to getting good, regular work. You literally have to be worth what you charge else you simply won't get the money.. like any business, you have to offer your market what they want. A unique selling point isn't usually a pair of tits.. half the flipping population has a pair of tits!

Why am I doing resting bitch face? It takes 42 muscles to frown and only 17 to smile and I need the exercise

Send Nm Mail to Cheryl_Elizabeth Add Cheryl_Elizabeth to your favorites list
photosmiles

quoting post from  Ace:

Many models are only in it for the money and delude themselves that there is a lot of money to be made and that they don't have to have modelling skills. They don't tend to last though.

Hi
Thanks for you reply.

Yes, those interested in being creative do do it for just the money. Most do have the modelling skills you are right. 2 girls in the past couldn't even really pose, so I ask them why to you want me to pay you £ amount. I stop the shoot and gave then travel only.

photosmiles

quoting post from  pep:

I've no problem newbies indicating their rates, esp if they have:

- a USP ( fabulously photogenic, facially & emotionally expressive or other)
- modelling ability (shown in their photos) or some other facet..

Though, and as has been stated, the really good quality models that have experience, ability & an extensive portfolio.. are often advertising rates less than the newbies are showing..

Many will be gone before you can book them and no-show on you.. :-D

Hi
Thanks you also for you reply.

Expression, a lot of them only see to have 1 or 2 expression.

When I asked a 7 months experience beginner to give a few different facial expression. Reply was what do you mean, I alway do these, and no other togs have said anything. How many togs have you work with? her answer 5 so far.

No shows, well we all know about that suggest.

We as togs, should start doing what many agencies, and pro models do. Charge for cancellation.

photosmiles

quoting post from sparky101020:

I have been employed for over 30 years and worked up to my current salary as I increased my skills and experience.

In model terms that is a long time but experience and ability are gained gradually in any job.

Enthusiasm counts too and I recall several years ago two shoot a few days apart. One was with a time served model and the second one with rather less experience reflected in the lower rate paid. However overall the content I had from from the less experienced but enthusiastic model was significantly better.

This is from the portfolio of a model who signed up recently

Quote:

Please note, I have no ambition to become a model so i'm only looking for paid work rather than doing endless TF shoots "To enhance my portfolio"

In principle reasonable to start wanting paid work at a starter rate after several shoots but the photographer needs confidence they will get content of a quantity and quality to justify the payment.

Hi David
Much appreciated your comment.

What you do is what most of us as togs have done to get where we are.
More beginners/newbies should be doing the same. Build their modelling experience, before asking for £50, 60.00 and more 1 one female on another model hosting site.

I think certain standard should started. In parts of the States & certain other European countries, new model have to do a min of 60 hours in from of a camera to her gain experience.

sparky101020

Photographer
City: Leamington

One point I omitted in my earlier post with this quote
Quote:

is that the portfolio is the ' shop window '. To be seen to be active and progressing it needs regular updates.

With paid work the serious model will still trade time for images that ultimately will result in more bookings.

Send Nm Mail to sparky101020 Add sparky101020 to your favorites list
PippaLily

Model
City: Basildon

Whenever I work with a company they usually approach me with their rate or budget they pay models and I either say yes or no.
I've been told many times my rates are very low. I've been modelling since 2001/2002 so I charge my rate if a photographer asks what they are. If they can't afford it then I don't lose out. I work as a full time model and am never short of work so obviously my rates do me well.

Send Nm Mail to PippaLily Add PippaLily to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by PippaLily at 06-30-2017 4:37 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts