1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Asking for references 
PippaLily

Thread Starter / Model
City: Basildon
Views : 585  Aug 8, 2017 7:26am

I've just asked a new photographer with one photo on his profile who joined the site yesterday and sent me a message today if he can provide references as he wishes to shoot from his home. He said he would provide references once we have booked the shoot.
I always ask for references BEFORE we book the shoot why would I book a shoot with a photographer who I haven't got references for? If I did get bad references I wouldn't want to cancel an arranged shoot.
Is this usual? For photographers to provide references only AFTER a shoot is booked?

Send Nm Mail to PippaLily Add PippaLily to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Andy_B

Photographer
City: London
RE: Asking for references Aug 8, 2017 7:28am

There's absolutely no reason for anyone legitimate to play games like that.

Send Nm Mail to Andy_B Add Andy_B to your favorites list
PippaLily

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Asking for references Aug 8, 2017 7:39am

I did think it was strange and he hasn't replied since so I guess I caught him out on that one!

pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire
RE: Asking for references Aug 8, 2017 7:39am

I always think if you get off to a bad start, it's probably best just to move on..

as for references... other than no-shows are they really useful? Most sites have a: no negative comments policy.... so are they a true reflection of a shoot...

Having his (address) & presumably name is a fair bonus... I remember my first ever model shoot was at my place & I had zero references - image on my profile -

For me it's more about how the messages between you pan out... is their a specific idea they want to shoot? do you think they have the skill level to shoot it ( any other images to backup their request )

You could ask to bring along a chaperone... as they have zero refs & complete newbie.. in my early days I had BF's, mothers, friends all sat waiting while the model did her thing.... (though not in the image above) if the photographer runs a mile, you have your answer...

best of luck..

P

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by pep at 08-08-2017 7:41 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
PippaLily

Thread Starter / Model
RE: Asking for references Aug 8, 2017 7:51am

pep he hasn't replied to my request for references. He did say he had some models he could use so no idea why he couldn't supply them before the shoot?

pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire
RE: Asking for references Aug 8, 2017 8:24am

ahh.. ok I get it now..

I'd not pass on anyone's email addy or name.. however I'd point them to other sites where I've loads more refs & they can contact people I've worked with ( if still active ) that way...

as for this specific one.. a business website URL? - best sorted between yourselves directly...

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: Asking for references Aug 9, 2017 10:35am

References are normally feed back left on your profile. There is no way to cross check somebody when you are just given a persons name and number to call.

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading
RE: Asking for references Aug 9, 2017 3:28pm

quoting post from  Diceman199:

References are normally feed back left on your profile. There is no way to cross check somebody when you are just given a persons name and number to call.

Valid point.

Being new with no references and not being able to get shoots without references seems to be a Catch 22 situation.

But it isn't.

The solution is to do group shoots and shoot at studios where there are 3rd parties around and network so that you become more of a known quantity.

This does not mean that the photographer would be 100% reliable in a private 1 to 1, nothing does but it does give an idea and is better than a reference from a supplied email address which could actually be the photographer themselves for all we know.

Pippa Lily is a much respected model with a lot of experience who can probably spot a wrong 'un a mile off and for all I know the photographer is genuine...so my comments are more directed at the less experienced who may be reading this.

The essential thing is for models to do what the need to stay safe.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
RedChecker

Photographer
City: Stoke Mandeville
RE: Asking for references Aug 10, 2017 2:29pm

If he has references, he gains nothing by holding back on them (other than increasing your suspicion of him of course).

With new photographers, I see no reason why they can't book their first few shoots to gain both references and experience in bona fide studios which are both neutral ground so to speak and there's a third party nearby, just so there's a greatly reduced chance of trouble. Anybody with any sense of reason will not oppose this school of thought and fully understand the reason for it.

Another thing.... if it were a nude or adult shoot, maybe it's just me, but I find diving in straight at the deep end and going straight into those higher levels somewhat odd. Many photographers who do this seem to set alarm bells ringing when I see them (again, maybe it's just me).

Send Nm Mail to RedChecker Add RedChecker to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by RedChecker at 08-10-2017 2:30 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
fredericks

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: Asking for references Aug 11, 2017 4:28pm

References before the shoot.
Feedback after the shoot.
IMHO?

Send Nm Mail to fredericks Add fredericks to your favorites list
more_m

Photographer
City: Cambridge
RE: Asking for references Aug 16, 2017 10:02am

references are very useful to show you who he/she has worked with before. You shouldn't take what is written at face value though. I always suggest that models that haven't worked with me before should use my references just as a starting point and to make direct, private contact with whoever they like on the list to have an unbiased, off the record, chat

Send Nm Mail to more_m Add more_m to your favorites list
 Diceman199

Photographer
City: Uxbridge
RE: Asking for references Aug 17, 2017 11:57am

My first ever shoot was at a studio the model knew. So while I had no references the model was on safe ground and happy to shoot.

Send Nm Mail to Diceman199 Add Diceman199 to your favorites list
fredericks

Photographer
City: Southampton
RE: Asking for references Aug 17, 2017 5:31pm

quoting post from  Diceman199:

My first ever shoot was at a studio the model knew. So while I had no references the model was on safe ground and happy to shoot.

As for myself also.

Send Nm Mail to fredericks Add fredericks to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts