alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
5 members online. 
1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : How do I go about getting a photo shoot? 
rmsoansphotography

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: London
Views : 431  Aug 11, 2017 10:52am

I have recently tried so many models, each coming up with various excuses as to the reason why the shoot doesn't get booked

The other problem is that the place of the shoot is either too tiny to even fit my studio light when I go to a shoot and don't have enough room to manoeuvre the light for a good photo composition

I have tried casting calls, but none of them either reply or fit the criteria

Send Nm Mail to rmsoansphotography Add rmsoansphotography to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by rmsoansphotography at 08-11-2017 10:52 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire

Hire a studio..
Join a Studio Day.. ( best chance of avoiding cancellations )
Shoot on location.. ( best chance of space not being a problem )

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
aroman

Photographer
City: Colchester

Following on from Pep's post

Locations -
Model's home although if your limited to London area that could be an issue depending upon where they are.
Hotels - if you can afford a room (chain are best) they normally have decent sized rooms - able to use lights although ceilings aren't - make sure you have an extension lead or two. Haven't tried dayuse as I normally stay the night.

Send Nm Mail to aroman Add aroman to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

quoting post from rmsoansphotography:

I have recently tried so many models, each coming up with various excuses as to the reason why the shoot doesn't get booked

How do you put your request and are you asking for high levels?

If you are offering paid work and getting a high number of rejections it suggests that you are asking models to go beyond their levels or your wording is putting them off.

I find the best plan is to write to models directly with a clear shoot plan stating exactly what the shoot entails, the levels, hours and budget making sure that the levels I want are within the levels the model works to.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
rmsoansphotography

quoting post from  pep:

Hire a studio..
Join a Studio Day.. ( best chance of avoiding cancellations )
Shoot on location.. ( best chance of space not being a problem )

How does that avoid cancellations?

I bought studio gear already to shoot at their place?

Most of them don't want location shoots because of the inclement weather

Send Nm Mail to rmsoansphotography Add rmsoansphotography to your favorites list
rmsoansphotography

quoting post from  Ace:

How do you put your request and are you asking for high levels?

If you are offering paid work and getting a high number of rejections it suggests that you are asking models to go beyond their levels or your wording is putting them off.

I find the best plan is to write to models directly with a clear shoot plan stating exactly what the shoot entails, the levels, hours and budget making sure that the levels I want are within the levels the model works to.

I don't ask for higher levels

I haven't put a picture up in years because of the lack of fashion shoot opportunities

rmsoansphotography

quoting post from aroman:

Following on from Pep's post

Locations -
Model's home although if your limited to London area that could be an issue depending upon where they are.
Hotels - if you can afford a room (chain are best) they normally have decent sized rooms - able to use lights although ceilings aren't - make sure you have an extension lead or two. Haven't tried dayuse as I normally stay the night.

Most hotel chains tend to have very small rooms, I do know that because I have been twice in a hotel chain. In fact, they are worse than the model's place

Oscarsphotos

Photographer
City: Warrington

Join model/photographer sites that are more proactive.

Send Nm Mail to Oscarsphotos Add Oscarsphotos to your favorites list
 Ace

Photographer
City: Reading

quoting post from rmsoansphotography:

I don't ask for higher levels

I haven't put a picture up in years because of the lack of fashion shoot opportunities

If you are using your NM profile to get work I think you need to update it. Your notes are 5 years old, your last photo update is 4 years ago.

It's a Catch 22, people won't be eager to work with you if your portfolio isn't current and you won't update because you are not getting shoots.

This is where a studio day will help. You get some recent shots and make some networking contacts. Networking is important because it helps you build a good reputation rather than being an unknown quantity.

If a model is going to let a stranger in to their home they need some sort of reference. Ok it's no guarantee that you are genuine but it helps.

You also mention a lack of fashion shoot possibilities...you don't show any fashion work so some models will pass you by even if you are paying. The work you do show is glamour and may put off some fashion models.

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Ace at 08-14-2017 7:00 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts