1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Failure to answer or even read messages 
 Njay

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Market Harborough
Views : 351  Dec 1, 2017 10:51am

It always amazes me that Models go to the effort to open a page on this site, but they don't even bother to reply or on many occasions, read their messages.
In the past few days a model was advertising for photographers to fill places at shoots during December ... Despite sending her a message and leaving a note on the Topic Board 4 days ago, she has not even bothered to open her mail !!
This lady purports to be "Professional" ...
May I add, she is NOT the only one who fails to open her mail or reply to messages.

Send Nm Mail to Njay Add Njay to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Jess_Jones

Model
City: East Sussex

That is really bad they must have so much work they don't know what to do
. I make a point of always replying it is rude to do otherwise. Mind you some photographers are just as bad.
I will shoot with you if you are not too far smile

Send Nm Mail to Jess_Jones Add Jess_Jones to your favorites list
 Njay

Thanks Jess,

Thanks for your comments .. I am sure that some photographers are as bad ..
I have been looking at your postings and I would like to work with you, but you are a long way from Leicester .... Maybe next summer would be good when the weather is more friendly .. Njay

Jess_Jones

Model

Provided I get my travel expenses I can go anywhere look forward to hearing from you

sparky101020

Photographer
City: Leamington

This topic has been discussed many times.

There are at least three aspects.

First the model may want to think over the proposal and dates before replying.

Second not everybody is online 24/7 and even if they are they for numerous reasons may not be able to reply within a few hours.

Third if they are serious I think expecting a response within 72 hours is reasonable, at least to acknowledge the enquiry, ask questions and if not available on the requested date suggest alternatives.

Ultimately, and sadly I say this from experience, better to find out early on how reliable and committed a model is than to have a cancellation at very short notice or them just go quiet both of which result in a wasted day unless a plan B is prepared.

Send Nm Mail to sparky101020 Add sparky101020 to your favorites list
 Njay

I agree that one has to expect a delay in getting a reply, but when a model is hoping to fill in blank spaces in her day, you would expect a reply within less than 6 days ....
Yes, I have also had a model fail to appear, after making firm arrangements and booking a studio ...
Anyway, it is the models loss of revenue and not mine ...

Albo

Photographer
City: Barnet

Yes NJAY, I fully agree, I think it is only fair to give some sort of a reply to anybody that takes the time to contact me, and I would expect a similar (if not 100%) in return. It happens with models far more than is reasonable , not only on here, but on all sites.

Send Nm Mail to Albo Add Albo to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury

I guess the answer is no then. Get over it and move on. In principle I agree that a reply would be courteous. Unfortunately having chatted to so many models over the years I know that it is not always as simple as that.

All too often a polite reply in the negative results in a torrent of abuse from the photographer. Too many of whom seem to believe they have an absolute right to work with any model they choose to any level that suits them. The idea that a model has any free will and may for a variety of reasons not wish to work with them sends certain photographers into apoplexy.

Its less stress to have the odd photographer consider you ignorant than waste hours dealing with the rants of some moron who cannot conceive that a model would not want to work with them. Particularly if they demand a reasons and, as is often the case they don't like the photographers quality or style of work

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
Jess_Jones

Model

Can see your point there. On another site I said no thanks and got instantly blocked

sparky101020

Photographer

quoting post from redbaron:

All too often a polite reply in the negative results in a torrent of abuse from the photographer. Too many of whom seem to believe they have an absolute right to work with any model they choose to any level that suits them. The idea that a model has any free will and may for a variety of reasons not wish to work with them sends certain photographers into apoplexy.

Its less stress to have the odd photographer consider you ignorant than waste hours dealing with the rants of some moron who cannot conceive that a model would not want to work with them. Particularly if they demand a reasons and, as is often the case they don't like the photographers quality or style of work

While discussing this topic during a shoot I now recall a model saying they had this experience hence decided in future not to respond if they had no interest in the shoot.

Several have said they never reply to enquirers that request something they either have not selected in the styles / levels options or specifically state they do not offer in their profile text.

Those that do offer styles / levels beyond those listed / allowed to be advertised or discussed on a site usually include a subtle hint.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by sparky101020 at 12-04-2017 6:43 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Njay

All very interesting, but some replies seem to be missing the point.

The model under discussion was advertising on the forum for photographers to work with her as she had to fill in spaces during her day in Birmingham. She even quoted the levels and hourly rate etc.
Having replied to her, asking the times that were available, she hasn't even bothered to read the message never mind reply.

Of course, I decided to forget it and move on etc. etc., but I am unable to understand any model who advertises for photographers and then doesn't bother to read her messages.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Njay at 12-04-2017 7:47 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
aspiration

Photographer
City: London & Hants

quoting post from  Njay:

All very interesting, but some replies seem to be missing the point.

The model under discussion was advertising on the forum for photographers to work with her as she had to fill in spaces during her day in Birmingham. She even quoted the levels and hourly rate etc.
Having replied to her, asking the times that were available, she hasn't even bothered to read the message never mind reply.

Of course, I decided to forget it and move on etc. etc., but I am unable to understand any model who advertises for photographers and then doesn't bother to read her messages.

There are possibilities.

1) The model filled her bookable hours, did not need to read other enquiries but failed to think ’Customer Service’ and thus failed to thank unsuccessful applicants.

2) The model’s plans for the day changed radically extinguishing shoot slots and, as above, the model failed to see any need to be courteous to applicants.

The Social Media convention of ’Convenience Before Courtesy’ is everywhere.

Send Nm Mail to aspiration Add aspiration to your favorites list
 Njay

Aspiration ...

Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head .....

"Convenience Before Courtesy"

sparky101020

Photographer

quoting post from aspiration:

The Social Media convention of ’Convenience Before Courtesy’ is everywhere.

I have not heard that phrase before, and I don't use facebook, twitter, whatsapp etc etc at all, but so true now across both business and social email communication.

fredericks

Photographer
City: Southampton

There's starting to be a grey area between asking to be paid and being 'professional'.
IMHO to many photographers are putting their hands in their pockets (for whatever reason) because a girl gets their kit off!
My advice to the above photographers is to do a shoot with a proper professional model, and see the difference?

Send Nm Mail to fredericks Add fredericks to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts