3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Male Modelling is now BANNED on Net-Model 
 jkmtyro

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Views : 2432  Aug 17, 2018 1:39pm

Sounds weird, right? But 100% true based upon a mail I received today from the Net-Model Administrators.

I hired a male model for an editorial photo series I was commissioned to produce. The model re-enacts an engineer repairing an underwater drone. If this had been a FEMALE model under the hood of a fancy car, Net-model would have accepted the image as it has many in the past.

But males are not allowed to play with shiny things? Nor are they attractive to Net-model??? Net-Model: Can you please, please, please clarify what type of human being you deem qualified to be a model?

Here is what Net-Model said about my image featuring a male model:

"Sender admin
Receiver jkmtyro
Message Date 08-17-2018 12:06pm
Reply Date 08-17-2018 01:19pm
Folder System
Subject : Image (#1356512) Removed : Non Model Related Image

Image #1356512 was removed from your portfolio for being non-modeling related.

This is a site for the promotion of modeling and modeling photography. When showcasing your work, remember to include images that demonstrate the types of work you can provide to models. In the future, we may provide areas for other photographic images. Until then, please only add modeling related images to your portfolio. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Net-Model Management

If you feel that you have received this message in error, please email the image with the contents of this message to imagereview@net-model.com. We will review the image and get back to you as soon as possible."

Send Nm Mail to jkmtyro Add jkmtyro to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 08-19-2018 11:35 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

For a print editorial promotion on the spread of autonomous ocean gliders.

THIS IS A BANNED IMAGE on Net-Model.

According to NM: "This is a site for the promotion of modeling and modeling photography. When showcasing your work, remember to include images that demonstrate the types of work you can provide to models".

???? ????? Huh?

THE MODEL GOT PAID!!!!!!!
HE GOT PUBLISHED!!!!!!!!
I CAN PAY OTHER MODELS TO DO PRINT EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, TOO!!!

(Is Cannabis use legal in the UK? NM seems to have some gooood stuff).

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 08-18-2018 10:23 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

While the above Editorial Image is banned, this image perfectly demonstrates NM's commitment to "the promotion of modeling and modeling photography".

NM Reminder: "When showcasing your work, remember to include images that demonstrate the types of work you can provide to models".

I love this attached image. I cannot determine, however, why this image by ChasC qualifies as a modelling image and the above image by me does not. I have receipts for the cash paid to that model.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 08-17-2018 2:52 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 Myk

Photographer
City: Pant

It is nothing to do with male models

Just tell Escape the background and I am sure he will re-instate the image

Send Nm Mail to Myk Add Myk to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  Myk:

It is nothing to do with male models

Just tell Escape the background and I am sure he will re-instate the image

Are we to provide background details on every image now? What constitutes an image that needs to be explained? The image violates no Net-Model rules and runs 100% in line with the site's requirements Admin sent me.

Hence my total and absolute belief that Admin must be inhaling or injecting something really, really groovy.

I have seen a lot of photographers on this site post images of editorial shoots, magazine covers, article images, etc. without any required explanation.

[Or is Net-Model now trying to slurp trade secrets/client-types from photographers. Data mining is a big thing now, but you have to get people to voluntarily give up details.]

BTW: I realized a serious mistake above and edited the OP to REMOVE my listing of the amount paid to the model.

pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire

I've had images banned - images without people in - so stick to strictly people shots now.. & the vast majority of them females....

there are male members on here... no chuckling at the back... so certainly not banned... it may be they don't like using editorial type images, though only they would know..

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
rmsoansphotography

Photographer
City: London

I have seen models that are male, but some are just a bit of an exhibitionist to say the least.

Send Nm Mail to rmsoansphotography Add rmsoansphotography to your favorites list
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  pep:

I've had images banned - images without people in - so stick to strictly people shots now.. & the vast majority of them females....

there are male members on here... no chuckling at the back... so certainly not banned... it may be they don't like using editorial type images, though only they would know..

Images without people in them ...

NM Storm Troopers: "When showcasing your work, remember to include images that demonstrate the types of work you can provide to models".

So ... NM caters to TRAVELING MODELS. Cannot a photographer advertise in a port a scenic shot of where a model will be shooting? For a fact if I already had a shot of that scene with a model in it, I would not need to hire a model to shoot in that scene.

Stop scratching heads. Aye-ya-yigh!

Perhaps a rule allowing a small percentage of images that do not contain a model in them?

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 08-20-2018 1:28 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

quoting post from rmsoansphotography:

I have seen models that are male, but some are just a bit of an exhibitionist to say the least.

I have seen models that are female, but some are just a bit of an exhibitionist to say the least.

Is everyone doping these days?

Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton

The image in question does not look like a model posed image.
For the genre for which it was intended this is clearly a good thing but without a note (which could have been in the image note bit) it is not clear and it therefore clearly appears to break the rules.
As Myk says, all that is needed is a simple message to Escape (the site owner and head of administration) explaining the situation. I am sure he will reconsider. He has always been very fair.
I have to say that your reaction is rather over the top and clearly there is no ban on male models. They just need to be seen as models.
There really was no reason to be quite so childish about it.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  Razoir:

For the genre for which it was intended this is clearly a good thing but without a note (which could have been in the image note bit) it is not clear and it therefore clearly appears to break the rules.
As Myk says, all that is needed is a simple message to Escape (the site owner and head of administration) explaining the situation. I am sure he will reconsider. He has always been very fair.
I have to say that your reaction is rather over the top and clearly there is no ban on male models. They just need to be seen as models.
There really was no reason to be quite so childish about it.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

I have gotten more than one reference to send a message to Escape. The first reference I thought was a typo. So, sorry. I am not that familiar with Internet coding. Do I send by using [Escape] [/Escape]? I could not find a reference under 'Help".

How does it work? Why can't I send a regular NM mail to an Administrator instead? Or are we sending a command code to a bot?

jkmtyro

quoting post from  Razoir:

OK. All of my male editorial images now have descriptions and the code [Escape] [\Escape] added. I shall do this for all future editorial images to avoid confusion.

(Just for the record: releases are on file for all models in my posted model images).

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 08-21-2018 9:33 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

Hi Karl
Jeremy is suggesting you send a private mail message to the site owner (who uses the username "escape")
The chief administrator if you like.

It is not easy to find how to contact him these days, but try here:
http://www.net-model.com/Help/?tid=39

I also have found him to be very reasonable, and I suspect this is just a misunderstanding.

The image is excellent because it doesn't look posed, but that is probably what has caused the misunderstanding too.

Kevin

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury

Surely you can just go to mail > System folder where the original notification of the image removal is and reply to that email! This is all getting rather surreal and over the top at the moment. An image has been removed because of an obvious mistake. Hardly needs all the histrionics, though at least it continues the desperate attempts at CPR to keep the site alive a little longer

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by redbaron at 08-22-2018 2:41 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  driftwood:

Hi Karl
Jeremy is suggesting you send a private mail message to the site owner (who uses the username "escape")
The chief administrator if you like.

It is not easy to find how to contact him these days, but try here:
http://www.net-model.com/Help/?tid=39

I also have found him to be very reasonable, and I suspect this is just a misunderstanding.

The image is excellent because it doesn't look posed, but that is probably what has caused the misunderstanding too.

Kevin

Yeah.

Unfortunately neophytes often believe that fashion, cheesecake and bikinis are what modelling is about. Yet the vast majority of modelling is really commercial and editorial ... product advertising, texts, journals, promotional, etc. It is better and more steady money than stripping.

And thank you for the compliment on the image. We went through several setups before the client selected the image series that looked the most authentic. Scientists and engineers have different standards than bikini babe watchers (although engineers watch babes too; I am not certain about scientists).

But just wait! [/Escape] should love the pre-teen & teen instruction manuals I am photographing on soldering circuit boards for remote observation platforms.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts