[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Hurricane a-coming .. will be offline from Wednesday noon 
 jkmtyro

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Views : 201  Sep 10, 2018 2:09pm

Hey, guys, gals and TGs ...

Hurricane Issac in bouncing around in the Atlantic Ocean between Africa and the Caribbean. As of today, it is a Category 1 storm projected to impact St. Thomas Friday morning with Category 1 or 2 winds or, with luck, tropical storm force winds from a near-miss.

Normally a Category 1 or 2 storm (think Katrina or Sandy strength) is no problem for us. It's just a day or two off from school or work.

However, in September 2017 we were hit with two Category 5 hurricanes (200+ mph winds) in just ten days. We had 95% destruction and are still recovering. (I only got internet back 4 months ago). Government infrastructure, however, is at high risk of being destroyed as it is still being repaired. Additionally, there is no place to evacuate to, so those who can are taking in residents living in homes unrepaired from last September.

None of my properties suffered any damage in those storms or any previous. So, I am not worried about damage. I do have to batten down doors and windows and secure roof items such as solar panels and WIFI antennae.

Thus, I will go offline on Wednesday at noon. If the storm is not serious, I should be back by the weekend. However, if our weakened communications infrastructure is hit again, it may be months before I have communications restored.

Just letting ya'll know so you do not think I have abandoned the site. See you on the flipside.

Send Nm Mail to jkmtyro Add jkmtyro to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 JayBee

Photographer
City: London

...Good luck fella, to you and everyone else who is anticipating this latest "Hit"!

Keep your Head Down...!

JoeB

Send Nm Mail to JayBee Add JayBee to your favorites list
 Ace
[ Moderator ]

Photographer
City: Reading

My thoughts will be with you and hope it works out for you and your fellow islanders.

When I was there is was beautiful and tranquil, lets hope the islands returns to that soon.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Send Nm Mail to Ace Add Ace to your favorites list
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  JayBee:

...Good luck fella, to you and everyone else who is anticipating this latest "Hit"!

Keep your Head Down...!

JoeB

Thanks. People are a bit on edge around here. With another hurricane due to hit the US East Coast the day before Issac gets here, our supply line has already been cut off. Que sera, sera.

or as Spock would say: "Have faith that the universe will unfold as it should".

jkmtyro

quoting post from  Ace:

My thoughts will be with you and hope it works out for you and your fellow islanders.

When I was there is was beautiful and tranquil, lets hope the islands returns to that soon.

Ace, Ace baby! on www.acestudios.co.uk

Thanks for your concerns. Fingers crossed.

The island did lose land mass into the Atlantic Ocean during last year's hurricanes, but this storm is only a fifth as strong as those. We've also learned that the rain forests, stripped brown and leafless during big storms, turn thick green again in about three to four months.

So, we get back to 'pretty-pretty' for tourists very fast, even before we find shelters for all victims. (That's a good thing ... tourist spending helps us rebuild).

pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire

batten down those hatches..

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
HST125

Photographer
City: Wigan

My thoughts are with you - take care see you on the flip side, may you and yours stay safe

Send Nm Mail to HST125 Add HST125 to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by HST125 at 09-11-2018 9:16 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

quoting post from  pep:

batten down those hatches..

Hatches battened and I just trailer-ed my boat on land for good measure.

Thanks for your concerns.

jkmtyro

quoting post from HST125:

My thoughts are with you - take care see you on the flip side, may you and yours stay safe

Thank you. All prepped and shutting down internet in 60.

The good news (so far) is Issac has reduced to a tropical storm (74 mph winds). It has, however, picked up speed. We will begin getting winds Thursday afternoon instead of Friday morning.

We'll keep a careful eye out. There are FIVE systems in the Atlantic and Gulf right now: Two hurricanes, one tropical storm and two tropical remnants.

The planet is warming.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by jkmtyro at 09-12-2018 2:33 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 jkmtyro

Put the WIFI antennae back up this afternoon. Storm dipped south, center will pass 120 miles away. We're getting 20 to 30 knot gusts right now, expected to pick up to 50 knots tonight and tomorrow. One inch rain expected. That's well within equipment tolerances. I'm running on battery reserves, though, until I reattach my solar panels.

Thanks everyone for your concerns and well wishes. I think you scared the storm off. Now to pray for my fellow countrymen in Guam and the Carolinas.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts