1 user watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Should I get the Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Camera 
 jkmtyro

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Views : 174  Oct 9, 2018 4:22pm

It is that time of the decade when I need to think about upgrading my kits.

I want to go mirrorless to avoid the hassle of mirror-lockup to keep from startling wildlife during model-nature encounter shoots.

I have been reading up on the Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with FTZ Mount Adapter Kit.

Canon and FujiFilm seem to have better bodies, however my current Canon lenses won't fit and I have no Fuji lens. My Nikon lenses will work with the FTZ Mount. So, unless I want to sink over 10 grand per kit, I am leaning toward Nikon. But no one on island has one for me to test or get a reference from.

My question: Does anyone have experience with the Z7 or other modern mirrorless systems? And the adapter mount: some light loss is a given ... what about color shift, tonal aberration or failure due to vibration?

Nikon is also releasing a Z6 series ... watered down for retail OTC ... so let's not go there!

Have faith that the universe will unfold as it should.

Send Nm Mail to jkmtyro Add jkmtyro to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 pep

Photographer
City: Northeast / North Yorkshire

Not the Z7.. though I think its excellent they've made it compatible with their existing lens range..

All cameras are just tools regardless of their cost. I'd certainly not consign the Z6 to scrapheap so quickly, at 24mp its the ideal sensor for me - files not ridiculously large & more than up to everything I've shot in the last 10 years.

of other mirrorless systems, I use Fuji X-T2 & X100F - I just love the colour rendering of the Fuji images straight out of camera, just way more than all the Nikons D700, D3, D750, D800, D810, I've owned & own.

I find the mirrorless Fuji-X esp the T2 so much more intuitive & amiable for the way I like to shoot - tends to be events & weddings, though I'm increasingly using them for model work also - all recent shoots were on only Fuji.

When I use the Fuji's people don't pose, I can get a more natural image... this may be the same with the Z cameras as you should be able to shoot from the him using the rear tilt screen also...

I like that the WYSIWIG, real live view, prior to taking the shot, tilting screen works for me, though the X100F is really growing on me, especially the leaf shutter - 1000/s with flash & no loss of power - awesome & super quiet too..

The tiny size of the Fuji's is nice though as I go with their zoom lenses - 16-55 (24-84) & 40-150 (70-210) /2.8's their size is a little increased. Though still not to my Nikons weight..

The new smaller size of the Z cameras in combination with the Nikon lenses should be a nice combination - the one issue I have with the Fuji's is in the comparison with my Nikons in low light without flash - the tonal rage & ISO performance just doesn't compare to my D750 & D810... however with flash they are fine.

TBH & I read what Kevin Mullins is doing with them.. https://f16.click/ I do like the idea of Fuji-X for majority of work & a GFX for the real quality images - forget Full Frame.. MEDIUM Format for DOF so shallow you could cut yourself.. now that .. appeals to me..

Send Nm Mail to pep Add pep to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury

I have a Sony Alpha7 MKII and have just had a great couple of weeks in Kenya shooting with an ancient CAnon lens bolted to it with an adaptor. That is the good thing about Mirrorless. There is space to fit one for pretty much every lens available. Great thing about the Sony is image stabilising is bult into the camera.

I found the auto focus far too slow for wildlife shooting even though it worked but that was not much of an issue. PArticularly with the Sony as it has a digital zoom system for manual focus which is pretty need. (Also makes a brilliant ad hoc high powered telescope)

CAnnot say the default mode is any quieter than my Canon 5DMKIII in 'silent' mode but have not tried out its true silent option yet

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
fredericks

Photographer
City: Southampton

If as you say, Canon do better bodies and you have Canon lenses.
Why not go for the new Canon mirrorless body and use your current Canon lenses? Canon do a new compatible adapter for their lens range?

Send Nm Mail to fredericks Add fredericks to your favorites list
 jkmtyro

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands

I have always been impressed by Fuji's high contrast rendition of primary colors. It behaved like a polarizer was built right in. My last Fuji died 15 years ago. The only gripe I had was Fuji's problem with accurately rendering reds. It was great for sunsets, but for things like red flowers a lot of fine detail could be lost. Has Fuji fixed that?

Low light rendering is also a must for me and Nikon's written ratings are better than Fuji's. Using flash at night on wildlife is extremely problematic and even illegal in many instances. Flash and spot lighting cannot be used on any U.S. federal property such as National Parks, monuments and preserves. It is also against U.S. law use light at night on any protected or endangered species no matter who owns the land.

I was looking at the Fuji line but nixed it because I have no equipment compatible with the X's. I'll invest in the full kit and caboodle - macro to telephoto lenses, strobes, remote sensors/triggers, filters, et al - but I will have to do some thinking about whether it is worth the wallet pop given the low-light issues.

I'm checking out Kevin Mullins' work now. Thanks for the link, Pep.

_________

Redbaron:
I am not up much on Sony's land based performance. My Sony's are dedicated to underwater work since Sony renders underwater scenes with the most accurate colors and the least auto-focus drift. (That's a real issue underwater as everything is always in motion and small particles float through scenes). In this respect, the slower auto-focusing is great for me with underwater wildlife - there is less chance of sensors being fooled by plankton drifting into the frame. But true - it sucks for quicker land and air borne creatures.

_________

fredericks

Canon? Nikon? Often it is like choosing between two of your children. There is only one ticket to Disney Land. Who gets it???

_________

Have faith that the universe will unfold as it should.

Send Nm Mail to jkmtyro Add jkmtyro to your favorites list
 HST125

Photographer
City: Wigan

If you're considering mirrorless don't forget Olympus especially if you planning a major investment. I love my two and they do everything I ask of them OMD-5's Mk 1 & 2 all my old lenses work with adaptors brilliantly. The new lenses are brilliant especially in low light situations - switching as I do between images and video they deliver - yes I have to use my OM-1 if I need a massive file but so infrequently these days a Tiff from the OM-5 fill my publishers needs. Plus I love the colours they deliver - I imagine no one on the island has one of those you can try either, but bet you the endoscopes and other medical camera's in the hospital are Olympus, my optician has just dumped his Canon's and gone Olympus as for retina photography they deliver clearer more accurate images.

The concept of beauty is is classically defined as “That ,which when seen pleases”. Pleasure is the final cause of beauty and thus is not the means to another end, but an end itself.

Send Nm Mail to HST125 Add HST125 to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts