alias : pwd :       secure login | forgot pwd? ]
6 members online. 
4 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Any ideas how to get this site back to what it was 15 years ago? 
Kenphotographer

Thread Starter / Photographer
City: Bournemouth
Views : 2560  Jan 21, 2019 4:54am

Lets face it - The site is dead and needs a serious kiss of life, but how can that be achieved?

Personally, I think the site name is excellent but a complete revamp is necessary including a new site with new front pages and day to day administration handled by a few selected members/moderators who are interested enough to genuinely help 'fire' it up and attend to any matters arising on a daily bases.

This is a serious message and so serious answers only please.

Send Nm Mail to Kenphotographer Add Kenphotographer to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Kenphotographer at 01-21-2019 4:56 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury

quoting post from Kenphotographer:

Lets face it - The site is dead and needs a serious kiss of life, but how can that be achieved?

Personally, I think the site name is excellent but a complete revamp is necessary including a new site with new front pages and day to day administration handled by a few selected members/moderators who are interested enough to genuinely help 'fire' it up and attend to any matters arising on a daily bases.

This is a serious message and so serious answers only please.

You are so far behind the curve Ken! There is a whole new site under Beta testing and has been for a while. I know any time someone states this it attracts derision and that is understandable but I know it exists because I have been on it. I also know a little of the back story on why it has taken so goddam long so prepared to cut James a lot of slack.

One lesson rings loud and clear from the botched relaunch of Purestorm (RIP) To launch a new site before it is fully ready with the idea you will sort the rest after it has gone live is suicidal.

All I will say is that the site is well advanced,(Far more so than the new Purestorm was) looks sweet and should adress concerns about the current site. The only thing we can all do is give some encouragement by posting more both in the forums and our portfolios in the meantime

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by redbaron at 01-21-2019 5:29 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Kentog

Photographer
City: Northampton

quoting post from redbaron:

You are so far behind the curve Ken! There is a whole new site under Beta testing and has been for a while. I know any time someone states this it attracts derision and that is understandable but I know it exists because I have been on it. I also know a little of the back story on why it has taken so goddam long so prepared to cut James a lot of slack.

One lesson rings loud and clear from the botched relaunch of Purestorm (RIP) To launch a new site before it is fully ready with the idea you will sort the rest after it has gone live is suicidal.

All I will say is that the site is well advanced,(Far more so than the new Purestorm was) looks sweet and should adress concerns about the current site. The only thing we can all do is give some encouragement by posting more both in the forums and our portfolios in the meantime

You say so far behind the curve, but the ‘new site’ has been mentioned so many times and for so long, that it is turning into a bit of a joke.

IF there is a new site in development, and IF it is going to be fantastic, then simply tell us WHEN it will go live, instead of pointing to other failures, as let’s face it, this site has failed!

Send Nm Mail to Kentog Add Kentog to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from Kentog:

You say so far behind the curve, but the ‘new site’ has been mentioned so many times and for so long, that it is turning into a bit of a joke.

IF there is a new site in development, and IF it is going to be fantastic, then simply tell us WHEN it will go live, instead of pointing to other failures, as let’s face it, this site has failed!

There is no IF about it as i have been on there beta testing along with others. In terms of timing that is not in my remit. As you say this has been going on for years but what is the point of anyone giving dates then risk them being missed once more?

Those that are still here are not likely to wander off now. I did for a couple of years but came back. No other reason than it was the first site I signed up to. There is only one thing that could make the situation worse and that happened on PS. Launch a new site prematurely and piss off the handfull who are still clinging on

Kenphotographer

Thanks for the info, Red.

Net-model was of the first sites I joined, so I have a natural 'soft spot' for it. I've just checked and it was Mar 4, 2005. That said, I've been in the business since the early 90's and it does seem a ridiculously long time being re-launched.

It does appear one popular site is getting more than its fair share of the business and I've noticed of late, they have started getting the usual attitude of being rather too sure of themselves, but I suppose, without much competition its bound to happen.

I am not going to criticise N-M for the delay in a relaunch and offer my help for what its worth, but it must be getting to the point where the suggestion of a relaunch of the old site or a launch of the new replacement will be greeted with laughing sneers all round making the comeback even more difficult.

That said, HANG ON IN THERE, ignore the deserters and wingers, and deliver a site that all will be proud of.

Best wishes everyone.....

redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from Kenphotographer:

Thanks for the info, Red.

Net-model was of the first sites I joined, so I have a natural 'soft spot' for it. I've just checked and it was Mar 4, 2005. That said, I've been in the business since the early 90's and it does seem a ridiculously long time being re-launched.

It does appear one popular site is getting more than its fair share of the business and I've noticed of late, they have started getting the usual attitude of being rather too sure of themselves, but I suppose, without much competition its bound to happen.

I am not going to criticise N-M for the delay in a relaunch and offer my help for what its worth, but it must be getting to the point where the suggestion of a relaunch of the old site or a launch of the new replacement will be greeted with laughing sneers all round making the comeback even more difficult.

That said, HANG ON IN THERE, ignore the deserters and wingers, and deliver a site that all will be proud of.

Best wishes everyone.....

Yup. Lets face it none of us is here for any logical reason. There are far better sites around if you need to find a particular model and far more vibrant forums if you are a keyboard warrior.

We are more like a heard of elephants refusing to give up on what seems a mortally wounded matriarch. Hopefully the fact we are still here may give James the impetus needed to push through the last of the work needed. So much has been done, like I say a lot more than just a bare frame that it would be a dreadful shame if it did not see the light of day.

I do think there is room for one more heavyweight site and losing Purestorm opens up space. From what I have seen I do believe James is on the right track too. Sadly I could not tell you if we are talking months or years. I doubt it is weeks though

Kenphotographer

Thanks Red, I for one will not desert and will live in hope that the new site will be the much needed 'new age' site we all want and that reflects today's need. I sincerely hope it knocks all the competition for 6...

Like your work, btw.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Kenphotographer at 01-22-2019 3:05 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Natural_happy_girl

Model
City: Fareham

Oh well this is interesting, what with Purestorm closing...

Send Nm Mail to Natural_happy_girl Add Natural_happy_girl to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from Natural_happy_girl:

Oh well this is interesting, what with Purestorm closing...

Good to see an old face, even if we have never got around to working together. Hopefully seeing the odd wanderer return will inspire James to push on. I certainly hope so as even though the decorators are still in some rooms

I can see there has been a lot of attention to detail and some of the irritations both in terms of this site and its competitors.

Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton

quoting post from Kentog:

While I have a degree of sympathy for your cynicism I can see no excuse for being quite so rude about it.
You have been told that the site is coming back.
It is.
I am currently involved in the beta testing.
Now. call me a liar if you wish but I will ask you to justify the accusation.
Our site owner is doing ALL the work himself.
He started with a site that had to have hundreds of thousands of accounts cleared away.
The new iteration looks good.
It works well but has some bugs that need to be sorted before we launch.
It will be better for us all if it launches in good order, rather than launching with bugs and issues that will get in the way of those people wanting to join, rejoin or start using the site after the big break.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
HarveyGordon

Photographer
City: London

Great news! I was just about to start a similar thread asking how we can help when I saw this.

Perhaps when it is ready we can all give it a big push on social media.

Let me know if you need any help with the new site in any way

Send Nm Mail to HarveyGordon Add HarveyGordon to your favorites list
 NickG

Photographer
City: Ealing

quoting post from  Razoir:

While I have a degree of sympathy for your cynicism I can see no excuse for being quite so rude about it.
It is.
He started with a site that had to have hundreds of thousands of accounts cleared away.
It will be better for us all if it launches in good order, rather than launching with bugs and issues that will get in the way of those people wanting to join, rejoin or start using the site after the big break.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

I would not call you a liar; there's no percentage in it.

I would though, gently point out that the talk of a new improved Net Model has been touted on here for well over a year as I recall, and does rather remind me of Billy Bunter's postal order.

I wish the site well, it was my first serious modelling site and I have met some great people here. Blimey Jeremy, I even predate you, and remember when you had to distinguish yourself from Kruse, the other Jeremy..

Having been involved in the purchase of software for some years, I have set a rule that I have no interest in the wonderful features that the next version has to offer; I want to see what is available now.

If there is a new version about to happen, great. I'm sure that you will understand that I have heard it enough times that I will not get the party poppers out just yet. In the words of Frankenfurter, Don't dream it, be it.

Over the past few years, there have been a number of threads along the same line as this one. Shall we have a sweepstake as to whether
this will be the final one?

-Nick G

***Insert witty comment here***

Send Nm Mail to NickG Add NickG to your favorites list
MrSpock

Photographer
City: Croydon

Maybe a few sample pages could be posted on here as a sample to what is to come.

Send Nm Mail to MrSpock Add MrSpock to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from MrSpock:

Maybe a few sample pages could be posted on here as a sample to what is to come.

If James wanted that I am sure he would have done so. He hasn’t and I fully understand why. All it achieves is to salve curiosity. In the process diminishing the impact when finally launched. Great for the i want it now generation. Not so good for getting maximum impact on launch.

Same reason I never let clients see the back of camera nor post ‘sneak peaks’ before their viewing. It ensures maximum impact on the big day. And yes of course that can be good or bad. But then in the case of my own work I am confident it’s the former and I am sure James has the same confidence.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by redbaron at 02-04-2019 2:17 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
 NoNoizePhotography

Photographer
City: Croydon

quoting post from redbaron:

If James wanted that I am sure he would have done so. He hasn’t and I fully understand why. All it achieves is to salve curiosity. In the process diminishing the impact when finally launched. Great for the i want it now generation. Not so good for getting maximum impact on launch.

Same reason I never let clients see the back of camera nor post ‘sneak peaks’ before their viewing. It ensures maximum impact on the big day. And yes of course that can be good or bad. But then in the case of my own work I am confident it’s the former and I am sure James has the same confidence.

Best Answer

Send Nm Mail to NoNoizePhotography Add NoNoizePhotography to your favorites list
jrdphotography

Photographer
City: Great Yarmouth

This is good news , just heard this site is launching again

Send Nm Mail to jrdphotography Add jrdphotography to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer

Nick G

Quite clearly, to me, you were not calling me a liar. Someone else was!
Very good to see your support, joining in with the other support.
Thanks.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Razoir at 02-12-2019 12:24 PM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Kentog

Photographer
City: Northampton

quoting post from  Razoir:

It is.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Hi,

Not calling anyone a liar, simply pointing out (all bit is was taken as rude) that this has been said for a long time, I did actually post weeks before this thread asking what was happening...

Anyway, no offence meant, just eager to see it re-launched.... as I say though, ‘if’ it gets re-launched.....

For what it’s worth, I am still here, and waiting.....

Send Nm Mail to Kentog Add Kentog to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer

Then no offence taken, Ken. I am glad that you are still here.
I am also frustrated by the delays bit I have the benfot of getting to play with the beta.
Best wishes

Huge Hairy Jeremy

TSS

Photographer
City: Rhoshill, Cardigan

It has been a long time since I last popped by to check if still going. With Purestorm and NetPortfoilio both having gone I was curious. This was my first site back in the past but then it seemed to hibernate while other blossomed. A few names I remember from the old days.
When the new site is launched will all old members be told and transferred over or will we have to reapply?

Send Nm Mail to TSS Add TSS to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from TSS:

It has been a long time since I last popped by to check if still going. With Purestorm and NetPortfoilio both having gone I was curious. This was my first site back in the past but then it seemed to hibernate while other blossomed. A few names I remember from the old days.
When the new site is launched will all old members be told and transferred over or will we have to reapply?

My understanding is that one of the biggest delays was having to clear down tens of thousands of dead accounts off the servers. As the beta model still seems well populated I assume that Escape will move over those accounts that have been active within a certain time frame. How much of the account will move over I have no idea. There have been a number of long overdue refinements to the way some things work. From memory my basic data was moved over though.
It is already quite a slick site. Escape seems to have most of the rooms open for business now but the decorators are still finishing off and we are still adding to poor James snagging list at the moment. Hopefully though that will mean when he does decide to put up the bunting you can enjoy a slick new site and not suffer the frustration of one where it always seems work in progress.

Razoir

Photographer

Red Baron is spot on.
There where many thousands of dead accounts to clear out and that took a lot of time.
Remember, James is working solo on this.
The new NM will have an automatic mechanism to clear out accounts that lie dormant for a long time. I believe that holders will get automatic email warnings first.
The new site is great.
It is bright and colourful and cheerful.
I find navigating simple and everything you would expect is there.
There will be some significant changes behind the scenes. To make the site run more smoothly and there will be some changes to the site rules.
All of which I will leave to James to explain as I do not want to make a mistake with that and send people off down a blind alley.
I am entirely confident that it will be worth the wait.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

spyderneil

Photographer
City: Bristol

I and I'm sure many other old school NMers hope that the "new improved" version of Net Model, has a feature that doesn't allow people to sign up without posting any images.

There seems to be a lot of this happening recently and I'm sure this doesn't help James in his attempt to relaunch the site.

Send Nm Mail to spyderneil Add spyderneil to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from spyderneil:

I and I'm sure many other old school NMers hope that the "new improved" version of Net Model, has a feature that doesn't allow people to sign up without posting any images.

There seems to be a lot of this happening recently and I'm sure this doesn't help James in his attempt to relaunch the site.

I am sure James is intimately aware of all the shortcomings the current site has, so probably better to keep those eggs for breakfast.

This site, I seem to recall from an explanatory post some years back, is built on the framework of a long obsolete bulletin board. That framework and its creaking code placed restrictions on what could be done on the existing site. Some aspects are effectively hard coded in using outdated coding. That was the reasons given for stopping further development on the current site and deciding to start afresh some years back. It is simply not possible to make the changes people wanted to this site without devoting huge amounts of time on dead end technology. The law of diminishing returns was starting to bite.

The new site is just that, new. Not a reworking of this one. Not some CMS hacked to give the semblance of a new portfolio site. It is completely new. Hand coded from the ground up. For reasons that entirely at James discretion he decided to do all this single handed. It is only recently he brought a few of us in to beta test. While he is working methodically towards a conclusion clearly he has only so much time to invest in what is a personal project.

Like a few others I have been invited to help on the beta testing, so unlike many I do at least have the assurance of seeing there is a real site. the comfort of watching it come together. When it will be launched I genuinely do not know. James does not expend much time and effort on idle chatter and I am cool with that. Nor has he given us permission to talk about what is coming, hence why myself and Razoir (Who has been on the new site much longer) will not discuss details

Having watched the relaunch of Purestorm run into the sand I entirely agree with this approach. The more we leak now the less impact the new site will have on launch. The more chance competitors will do what competitors are quite entitled to do, try and incorporate anything that sounds good into their site before the launch in the hope of protecting their audience.

Nobody is going to announce a launch except James and James is not going to do that until he is completely happy. What may seem minor niggles in Beta can quickly become major headaches on a busy site and I am sure he is still hoping that will come to pass.

All I will say is the beta is not some strung together framework. It is a fully functional site. A brand new site that goes way beyond simply patching up the known irritations this one has. The house is up. The decorators are in doing a final touch up, fixtures are fitted but, like any complex structure as you go through testing things out you find the odd bit does not work as it should. There are other bits you realise deserve a tweak or two to make even better. Little bits in odd corners that somehow got missed.

Top  IP: Logged | Edited by redbaron at 02-25-2019 2:40 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
bdfoto

Photographer
City: Ferring, near Worthing

quoting post from MrSpock:

It would be nice to see some samples. It would also be nice to know what's changing. For me the biggest failing has always been the rather dire messaging functionality.

This was my first such site and I still drop in now and then. But I have references that are all now getting a little long in the tooth.

I see people on here with whom I have worked and often wish this site could have had a new lease of life a long time ago.

Still hoping ...

Send Nm Mail to bdfoto Add bdfoto to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Moderators :

Ace, bullet, doctorontop, Gregory_Mason, persistentvision

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts