3 users watching this topic.
[ Watch This Topic ]
Page 2 of 2 | < | 1 | 2 |

Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
redbaron

Photographer
City: Ayesbury

quoting post from bdfoto:

It would be nice to see some samples. It would also be nice to know what's changing. For me the biggest failing has always been the rather dire messaging functionality.

This was my first such site and I still drop in now and then. But I have references that are all now getting a little long in the tooth.

I see people on here with whom I have worked and often wish this site could have had a new lease of life a long time ago.

Still hoping ...

It may be nice but pandering to the 'I want it now' brigade would be the worst possible thing for James to do. It achieves nothing except sating idle curiosity and detracting from the impact of the eventual launch. It was feeling the need to respond to this sort of goading that pushed Mat on PS to launch before the new site was fully ready.

Hence why clients do not see the back of my camera or 'sneak peeks' online before their viewing.

I have said it before I know but James is unlikely to get a second chance at this. Get it right on launch in terms of design and functionality then curiosity will do the rest. If people arrive and are faced with buggy code or a crude user interface that is still being tweaked though and that could be it.

I will say we are in a different league to the new PS site though with James taking a huge amount of pride in hunting down and refining even minor irritations.

Send Nm Mail to redbaron Add redbaron to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by redbaron at 02-26-2019 10:11 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Summertime

Photographer
City: Sutton On Sea

Isn't the main problem that there are few girls who are interested in modelling anymore.

Send Nm Mail to Summertime Add Summertime to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
SteveCage

Photographer
City: Esher

Selfies on social media are the new modelling.

Send Nm Mail to SteveCage Add SteveCage to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from Summertime:

Isn't the main problem that there are few girls who are interested in modelling anymore.

How do you work that one out!!! I just did a quick check on PP there are over 250 models withing 25 miles of me and all but one has checked in within the last 3 months. There are over 300 models online right now (Though appreciate that depends how that is being defined)

Yes todays models are a bit more savvy and less inclined to fall for all the bullshit about needing to do endless TFP until deemed good enough to be worth paying but all power to them on that

Razoir

Photographer
City: Crediton

As I write there are 361 models online on another site.

The problem is the number of models who think it is safe to book shoots via Faceyshit etc. where they get no protection. Fine, some will get all the fun they want from that but others, perhaps the more serious ones will stick to sites like NM. Where users have references and people talk to each other and can (and do) check references. Try and get that from Twatter.

I wonder to what extent there is an analogy with the resurgence in film use?
The amount of film being shot now is considerably more than it was a few years ago. O.K. it is never going to o back to where it was before digital but for the enthusiasts who do shoot it, it is precious and important.

Maybe NM is in the same boat. For the reduced but significant and growing number who take these sites seriously, NM is precious and important and we will keep it going. If that makes us dinosaurs, fair enough but we are happy dinosaurs who will keep the NM flag flying for as long as there is a membership out there.

NM used to be a great community. I never make a secret of the fact that I have mental health issues. I am a severe depressive. In my early days on NM I went to Groups Shoots (which then were social events) with a lot of cynicism. Ready to come away pissed off with the 'gits' I was expecting to meet. How wrong I was. I met lovely people, many of whom are still real friends years later. NM saved my life.

As a community that can come back. There is and always has been much much less bitching and back-biting on NM than some other sites. Who cares if we are a bit smaller? We will, without doubt, be better.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Send Nm Mail to Razoir Add Razoir to your favorites list
 Journeaux

Photographer
City: The Town

I have just rejoined here after a nine year hiatus after stumbling on the news that there is to be a new improved Net-Model. Looking forward to it. Hello to the familiar names still here.

Send Nm Mail to Journeaux Add Journeaux to your favorites list
 Razoir

Photographer

Welcome back, buddy.
Most welcome.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Remember, Trolls' brains are silica based and only function properly at temperatures lower than minus 72 degrees Kevin.

Albo

Photographer
City: potters bar

Well said and spot on the money.!

Send Nm Mail to Albo Add Albo to your favorites list
redbaron

Photographer

Great to see people starting to slip back here. I'm sure all of us beta testing would love to hint at more than we do but equally understand that to let anything slip before the new site is ready to launch would simply give the owners of other sites time to respond with their own changes. That is business of course but having seen how hard James has worked at creating the new site I think he deserves to do any unveiling at a time of his choosing. I am tarting to get a sense of how he is working though things though. Certainly not days and I doubt it will be weeks but nor do I think it will be too much longer.

Meantime though this site works. It may be crap for those trying to join up or upgrade right now. Lets face it the whole damned thing is ancient and long past its shelf life. In the end though the forums are simple enough to use and the image limit has been raised at some point I see, so there is no reason not to at least show there is some life left to those who happen to pass by

driftwood

Photographer
City: Swansea

quoting post from  Razoir:

NM used to be a great community. I never make a secret of the fact that I have mental health issues. I am a severe depressive. In my early days on NM I went to Groups Shoots (which then were social events) with a lot of cynicism. Ready to come away pissed off with the 'gits' I was expecting to meet. How wrong I was. I met lovely people, many of whom are still real friends years later. NM saved my life.

As a community that can come back. There is and always has been much much less bitching and back-biting on NM than some other sites. Who cares if we are a bit smaller? We will, without doubt, be better.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Sums up my feelings pretty well Jeremy.

Keep the faith!

Kevin

Send Nm Mail to driftwood Add driftwood to your favorites list
 Journeaux

Photographer

Welcome back, buddy.
Most welcome.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

Thank you.

thewhoosh

Photographer
City: Coalville

I think you have to analyse why people used model sites 15 years ago,
Why PP has become so popular.
Other social media platforms and when people who want to make money they choose which platforms are worth their time/per return.
Why people become interested in modelling and model photography
The advent of photoshop and its affect on the scene.
People becoming bored and doing something else.

The common denominator in the health of a site is a forum and the type of people who use them.
If you look a
PP
MM
PS
AF
NM
MCM

You will see constant drama, Trolls, Knights and vigilantes, as model photography has turned into photographers just being a product for cash or images and their pocket money or skills being greatly sort.

Send Nm Mail to thewhoosh Add thewhoosh to your favorites list
 Journeaux

Photographer

NM used to be a great community.

Indeed, the sense of community was its greatest strength. I had models travel from as far as the south coast to work tf with me because they wanted to collaborate with a like-minded soul who is in this for the joy of creating beautiful photos.

redbaron

Photographer

quoting post from thewhoosh:

If you look a
PP
MM
PS
AF
NM
MCM

You will see constant drama, Trolls, Knights and vigilantes, as model photography has turned into photographers just being a product for cash or images and their pocket money or skills being greatly sort.

The forums tend to reflect the site and how its rules are implemented. The seeds for Purestorms demise were in the purple missives some moderators loved to scrawl at the bottom of any post they did not approve of and the equally high handed way they treated people behind the scenes. I think Mat did eventually put a stop to that but too late. PP had been born with free profiles and an easy touch on forums.

To some extent Purpleport is paying for its success there. The forums are often moving so fast its impossible to keep track of what is happening. Too often that is several interlacing firefights over things completley unrelated to the OP

Here James had a very clear and firm view on the way people would deport themselves on forums from the start. And more important it was policed firmly and fairly. Try to take a thread off topic or start and personal abuse and you would get a firm warning and the posts deleted. That did not suit certain people of course but it stopped forums becoming the personal fiefdom of a few individuals. That in turn meant a lot more people felt they could post here and get at least a reply to what they were talking about. Its a bit like when streets are busy with ordinary people wandering about their business and the police are there to protect them if called upon the thugs and gangs slip away as they know they are outnumbered.

I think Purple port is actually a success DESPITE the forums rather than because of them. I use its casting and PM because it is easy to find suitable models and take a shoot inquiry through to conclusion. I rarely use the forums on the other hand because of the reasons above.

Net-Model was a success BECAUSE of the forums, which is why a few of us still hang around her and make sporadic attempts to stir up conversation. The snag has been that the design is now so dated. Us old hands do not notice that too much as we long ago got used to the way it worked because at the time there was no real alternatives.

New arrivals though make a quick attempt to set up a profile then decide bugger it. They have better things to do with their time than say screw up an image upload only to find they have to wait 7 days to have another go.

Razoir

Photographer

While it tends to be true that models are on sites looking for money (and why not) there have always been a few who are as much into the art as for the cash.

Those enthusiasts will, in my opinion, find a more comfortable niche on NM than other sites. Here the community will be less predatory more comfortable. Which should make striking an agreement more pleasant.

Huge Hairy Jeremy

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Page 2 of 2 | < | 1 | 2 |

Moderators :

Ace, bullet, doctorontop, Gregory_Mason, persistentvision

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts