[ Watch This Topic ]
Show Printer Friendly Message Reply To Topic
Author Topic : Felt Back drops 
Cprout

Thread Starter / Photographer
City, St: Simi Valley, CA
Views : 2343  Sep 28, 2002 7:48am

Ok guys,
Heres a tuff one for you. I am using a PVC backdrop stand and a couple of large felt fabrics pieces. But I have not figured out a way to store them yet. I can fold them up but that leaves a ugly crease. I tried rolling one just now and that didnt seem to work to well. Although it may work better rolling it onto a piece of round wood or something but I really can figure out what to do....

Any hints? I like the felt and its cheep. But if I dont store it right it will look bad.

Send Nm Mail to Cprout Add Cprout to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Michaela

Model
City: Essex
RE: Felt Back drops Sep 28, 2002 8:36am

Casey, this one is easy!

You are right. Roll it! I've had felt rolled for years for use in crafts projects. Just carefully roll it around one of those big Christmas wrap rolls (that's easiest) or buy a wooden dowl or another length of PVC, although buy the biggest diameter you can get. It's just best if what you're rolling the felt around is big, but not flexible. Dont' put a rubber band around it. Wrap something soft like plastic wrap or silk around it to secure it. This works a treat!

Michaela

Oh, and one more thought to pass on to models especially... When you're taking silky scarves on a shoot, instead of folding them and having the creases in them at the shoot to iron out, roll them onto old foil or plastic wrap rolls. They stay line-free and the cardboard is lightweight.

Send Nm Mail to Michaela Add Michaela to your favorites list
Top  IP: Logged | Edited by Michaela at 09-28-2002 8:41 AM Report Post Reply Reply w/Quote
Cprout

Thread Starter / Photographer
City, St: Simi Valley, CA
RE: Felt Back drops Sep 28, 2002 8:41am

Thanks guess my mistake was just doing it without anything inside.....Just got frustraited.... Oh well.
Next time your in the states and in California look me up.
THANKS AGAIN!

Send Nm Mail to Cprout Add Cprout to your favorites list
filmphoto

Photographer
City: Cheltenham
RE: Felt Back drops Apr 10, 2014 4:51am

The very first portrait shoot I did I was carefully folding away the backdrop when the lead photographer told me off!

Never, ever fold photo backdrops!!!! That was his advice.

And he's right. If you fold it the creases are a pain.

For most clothes you want to scrunch them up instead - they will get creases of course but they will be completely random.

If your material is a genuine felt, then it might not take scrunching - in which case as you've found - it has to be rolled.

Don't scrunch vinyls - that does bad things

Send Nm Mail to filmphoto Add filmphoto to your favorites list
gwentman

Photographer
City: Caerphilly
RE: Felt Back drops Apr 10, 2014 5:51am

It is also said that if clothes / material is stored in a plastic vacuum bag and the air removed (similar to the freezer food storage system) they will be crease free when unwrapped.
So it is said but I've never tried it.

Mike.

Send Nm Mail to gwentman Add gwentman to your favorites list
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Settings : [ Open Forum ]

You may post topics
You may post replies
You may post images
You may delete your posts